Burden of Eternity

90 Undead Rogue
I keep trying to use this to upgrade my Warmsun Ring of the Winderflurry from 496 to 535 but when the cast finishes it says "That item is not a valid target."

How the hell do these things work?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
You have to use the burden on an item that's still in it's timeless form. So you had to use it before you changed it into a wearable ring.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I keep trying to use this to upgrade my Warmsun Ring of the Winderflurry from 496 to 535 but when the cast finishes it says "That item is not a valid target."

How the hell do these things work?

Just to make sure you didn't make the Warmsun Ring of the Winderflurry before trying to use the Burden of Eternity on it?
Edited by Bâtmân on 9/13/2013 10:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
"The Burden of Eternity must be applied to an armor token, not a wearable piece of ilvl 496 gear"

it also doesnt work on the trinkets just for future reference.
Edited by Lurus on 9/13/2013 10:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
That is pretty dumb. Just wasted all my timeless rings then...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
they also cant be used on the trinkets or rings as a token or not.

They can be used on rings.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter

Save the Burden for another piece, I am sure you will get something again very soon :-)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
They can be used on rings.

yeah my bad i was editing that post to fix it as you were typing. but it still has to be in the boa form
Reply Quote
IMO, the item's use and the consequences of its use need to be made more clear. I myself just got screwed over by it because of its ambiguous description. I shall try to explain and show what the real problem is with this token..

Using a timeless armor token means that it will "create a soulbound item appropriate for your loot specialization." On the other hand, using the burden of eternity will "imbue great power upon a timeless armor token to create an item appropriate for your loot specialization."

The description for burden of eternity is missing two key elements: A. it doesn't say "soulbound," and B. there's no warning message to safeguard the item in case you accidentally use it on the wrong thing or don't understand how to use it.

The burden doesn't say it will "imbue great power upon a timeless armor token, creating a soulbound item appropriate for your loot specialization." Why? That's just ASKING for its use and implications to be misunderstood. It would be VERY easy to think one could use the burden of eternity on a timeless armor token (which is BOA until it is discovered) , make the timeless armor token 535, and in turn mail it to another character before it actually binds to the user.

Case and point - I used a burden on some timeless leather boots while on my hunter, with the intent of sending those boots to my rogue. Now my hunter is sitting with 535 leather boots that are bound to him. I effectively got screwed out of a 535 piece for both my rogue AND my hunter.

What's worse is that when you use the burden, there isn't any type of warning message that pops up to make sure that you are really doing something that was intended. It costs a Lot of timeless coins to buy a new burden of eternity if the first one gets used incorrectly. Why in the heck doesn't a simple little warning message pop up saying "Completing this action will bind the timeless armor piece to you. Continue?"

All I can say is - there are many inconsistencies with the burden of eternity, both in how to use it and what it even does to an item. As a result, people can get screwed out of a 535 piece fairly easily. And, when this happens and you try to peition to have the burden restored, on the grounds of the fact that its use IS confusing, you're given the finger and told that it cannot be refunded.... That's just wrong. The inconsistency of the item isn't the player's fault, its the game's fault. Don't blame us and not make right on an issue that was perpetuated by the game itself. That's not cool...
Edited by Ilikpie on 9/14/2013 2:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Ilikpie, you have an argument. They certainly could have made things less ambiguous. In Blizzard's defense though, the Burden does state that it will imbue greater power to an item using your loot specialization. So one would assume that the correct character needs to use the Burden in order to imbue/create an item for himself.

I'v been sending pieces to both my Monk and my Priest, and there was no point where I thought it would be smart to open up these pieces on my Mage. Same logic would go with Burdens. I wouldn't use a Burden on a cloth piece for my Priest, just because it states loot specialization.
Edited by Dedwang on 9/14/2013 2:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage

Blizzard was very very clear that these needed to be used on the BOA form before creating the item. It was said plainly in everything about the Timeless Isle, was not hidden or worded weirdly. So while yes you did waste all your timeless rings it is pretty hard to make a stand that it is Blizzard's fault.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
09/14/2013 03:00 PMPosted by Dedwang

Blizzard was very very clear that these needed to be used on the BOA form before creating the item. It was said plainly in everything about the Timeless Isle, was not hidden or worded weirdly. So while yes you did waste all your timeless rings it is pretty hard to make a stand that it is Blizzard's fault.

Blizzard has a huge !@#$%^ for RNG, for some reason. I mean, we already deal with RNG through getting the burden, and again through getting the correct timeless piece(someone might only need to upgrade their chest piece for example, so any other timeless piece is wasted), but on top of that, we have to deal with random stats. I've used a burden on leggings, and while I still decided to wear them(as my previous ones were 489), the itemization wasn't great at all for my specc.

the timeless gear isnt meant for optimization, it is merely trying to get you ready for SoO.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
If this was not implemented the way it is, it would be extremely easy for everyone to have full ilvl535 gear.

This RNG keeps gearing up ilvl 535 slowly. I have used 6 Burden out of that only 1 was satisfying for me. If all was used on pieces I was happy with, LFR even Flex would be hard to replace them since I would have had 6 pieces that is much better than LFR and almost as good as Flex gear.
Reply Quote
@Ilikpie, you have an argument. They certainly could have made things less ambiguous. In Blizzard's defense though, the Burden does state that it will imbue greater power to an item using your loot specialization. So one would assume that the correct character needs to use the Burden in order to imbue/create an item for himself.

I'v been sending pieces to both my Monk and my Priest, and there was no point where I thought it would be smart to open up these pieces on my Mage. Same logic would go with Burdens. I wouldn't use a Burden on a cloth piece for my Priest, just because it states loot specialization.

I understand your point and maybe that part of the description should have been my clue to tell me that it would become soulbound. But that's just the thing, its a clue that is left subject to the reader's own interpretation. The issue still stands that one item specifically says it will become soulbound and the other does not specify that at all.

We are talking about one action, the use of a burden of eternity, that has 2 coinciding effects as a result: A. The stats the item is given will be in accordance with the character I am currently on, and B. Only the current character will be able to then use that item.

The description on the burden of eternity implies that its use will have only one of these two effects - that the items new stats will be in accordance with my current character. They need to spell out the other effect, about it becoming soulbound, verbatim. If we don't know what all the consequences are of using the burden of eternity, than how are we expected to be able to make an informed decision about what to use it on?

I'll try to illustrate this another way. Imagine that the burden of eternity is a can of sauce whose label only suggests what flavors it will have. Secondly, think of the timeless armor token as a dish that will ultimately be flavored with the sauce.

Is it really fair for people to purchase a sauce (whose packaging only specifies how it tastes) and yet expect them to understand how the sauce will affect the characteristics of the dish as a whole: Namely, how the flavor of the sauce will interact with the flavors of the other ingredients in the dish, or the dishes consistency, texture, cooking time etc? No it isn't.

Consequently if you go to any supermarket and look at a can of soup or sauce or whatever...there's always some kind of suggested use for that product. Therefore, even if you're unfamiliar with the sauce and what it will do to your dish, you still will have a sure-fire way of using it because one of it's uses is printed right on the can!

Blizzard suggests that, upon using a burden of eternity, a timeless armor token's "flavor" will be that of the stats in which your current character requires. They don't say, however, that using the burden will change the characteristics of the final "dish," namely that the newly created armor piece will be soulbound.

I don't know if I can put it any more simply than that. For me this issue is totally in black and white. It was the responsibility of the company, the one that produced the burden of eternity, to make sure all of its consumers understood both how to use the item and what it would do to the resulting product. They only partially succeeded in telling us how to use the burden of eternity and missed the ball entirely when explaining how the burden of eternity would affect the timeless armor token. And, for that, they should want to make it right for anyone whose piece was inadvertently "damaged."

Yet - that's not what is happening. The current refund policy does Not apply to burdens of eternity. Instead the company is saying that it's the customers fault; that it was the customer's ineptitude that caused this issue. And this problem has absolutely Nothing to do with the customer's ineptitude, and has everything to do with the company's inability to clarify how its product was to be used and what consequences would result from its use.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
You have to use the burden on an item that's still in it's timeless form. So you had to use it before you changed it into a wearable ring

Unfortunately, this is correct. You have to make a 535 piece before you discover said piece.

The only other thing I would like to mention is that it cannot be used on trinkets.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
With all due respect, these responses cant be accurate. I have the item and honestly its a burden just to try and figure it out. I bought a timeless Plate Armor cash from the Walker for 7.5K timeless armor coins....it says "item is not a valid target". So if someone knows the answer and has experimented and has really succeeded in using it please tell me aswell how its used.
Reply Quote
With all due respect, these responses cant be accurate. I have the item and honestly its a burden just to try and figure it out. I bought a timeless Plate Armor cash from the Walker for 7.5K timeless armor coins....it says "item is not a valid target". So if someone knows the answer and has experimented and has really succeeded in using it please tell me aswell how its used.

Timeless Plate Chestpiece, Timeless Signet, items already designated to specific slots are what you need. The random-slot Timeless Plate Armor Cache does not work.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]