Uses for Glyph of Water Shield This Tier?

90 Draenei Shaman
Are there any fights were Glyph of Water Shield is useful/recommended this tier? It seemed pretty useless last tier and I was curious if that was the case again here. Just looking at Glyph options for when I finally get enough spirit to drop Totemic Recall.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
None of the glyphs are "required". Same with talents (there is an exception here <see below>). In fact, I suggest carrying tomes with you as things are on a fight by fight basis.

About the only glyph I have never changed out is my HST one.

I also suggest giving totemic persistence a try. Let's you have 2 of the same class of totems out at the same time- so HTT and HST or HST/MTT etc. For me at least, that just feels like a must have and never change talent for resto.
Edited by Jujubiju on 9/16/2013 10:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Dayani is working on something right now, if she puts it on her blog ill try to remember to link it. When we run normal mode I like to use the glyph on every boss and use the logs for analysis. Unfortunately we lost our logs from Tuesday and the first seven bosses.

I can say for certain glyphing water shield on thok will give you more mana than unglyphed.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
09/16/2013 10:10 AMPosted by Blackerbaron
Just looking at Glyph options for when I finally get enough spirit to drop Totemic Recall.

Keep Totemic Recall and put the spirit into something else.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Can't say i felt mana starved enough to want to use that glyph. Would probably be good for Thok but there is a decent amount of regen time during the kiting phase. Will have to see how H work out this week.
Edited by Harpoa on 9/16/2013 10:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I also suggest giving totemic persistence a try. Let's you have 2 of the same class of totems out at the same time- so HTT and HST or HST/MTT etc. For me at least, that just feels like a must have and never change talent for resto.

I love Projection too much. It allows me to move Spirit Link so that it's actually useful (normalizing two groups of HP is huge IMO) and fights like Immerseus I can always make sure my totem is in a position that will hit everyone in the raid. On the PTR I didn't like Persistence because of bugs with the UI and the totems not showing in the bar. If that's fixed I may give it another try.

Dayani is working on something right now, if she puts it on her blog ill try to remember to link it. When we run normal mode I like to use the glyph on every boss and use the logs for analysis. Unfortunately we lost our logs from Tuesday and the first seven bosses.

I can say for certain glyphing water shield on thok will give you more mana than unglyphed.

Scrub moment here but do persistent AoE spells proc Water Shield? Namely Icy Fear. I'd imagine it's an increase there too.

Can't say i felt mana starved enough to want to use that glyph. Would probably be good for Thok but there is a decent amount of regen time during the kiting phase. Will have to see how H work out this week.

That's my experience too. As I start getting more spirit naturally from the Amp Trinket and SoO gear I wonder what I'll even do with all my mana. But I just can't find any glyphs worth using for my 3rd slot, let alone what I'll use when I don't need the mana regen from Totemic Restoration.
Edited by Blackerbaron on 9/16/2013 11:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
But I just can't find any glyphs worth using for my 3rd slot

I swap in Fire Elemental sometimes. But just really a preference thing as long as you are using PE.
Edited by Harpoa on 9/16/2013 11:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It's my personal belief if you don't feel the need to maximize mana regen on a fight where using a glyph that would benefit it, then you may want to consider optimizing your stats to a spirit level where you can allocate stats towards increasing throughput. You might just have too much spirit.

Unless you're being brought solely as a mana battery. Which is just dumb.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
It's my personal belief if you don't feel the need to maximize mana regen on a fight where using a glyph that would benefit it, then you may want to consider optimizing your stats to a spirit level where you can allocate stats towards increasing throughput. You might just have too much spirit.

Unless you're being brought solely as a mana battery. Which is just dumb.

You'd be surprised what numbers will do to people. No one had a problem with me not spirit stacking last patch. This patch people want me to spirit stack because after the massive Shaman buffs and nerfs to other specs, no one is in the same ballpark as me. 6 healing Sha of Pride while doing 22% of the healing and never getting Gift is a little silly...

I'm sure it'll blow over but just keeping options open. Freeing up a GCD would also be nice.
Edited by Blackerbaron on 9/16/2013 1:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes the first four fights are very shaman friendly. It seems to balance out a bit in the later ones.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Immerseus is very Shaman unfriendly (there is literally nothing we can do to heal the adds outside of single target), HR is nearly unusable, etc. The 4 fights from Protectors to Galakras are all Shaman niche fights, as is Thok, with the rest being more balanced.

As far as Glyph of Water Shield, you have to be careful, because using it is a self nerf on many fights. You also don't need to glyph it to tell if you should or not. Just go to the power gains section of WoL, take your mana gain from Water Shield and divide it by 2138 to determine how many procs you had for the fight. Then divide that into the fight length (convert it into seconds) to determine the average number of seconds per WS proc. If it is proccing more than once every 22 seconds, the glyph starts to become a mana gain to have. Any less often than that, it not only is a wasted glyph slot, it's worse than having no glyph at all.

If you get the updated RSS addon, it will also tell you this on a by fight basis. Just type /RSS and it will show all of the fights that it has recorded, and will tell you how much mana you would have gained (or lost) by having GoWS equipped.

From personal experience through the first 13 bosses, Thok is the only boss where the WS glyph is a significant gain. On most others, it's either a loss, or such a marginal gain its not worth the glyph slot. That might change on heroic. I don't even know that I would glyph it on Thok, because WS procs sooooo often on that fight that I found it impossible to go below 80% mana without it glyphed (which isn't the case on other fights). If your regen is set to where you need it on other fights, you almost certainly won't need the extra glyph on Thok.
Reply Quote
I got a significant amount back on garrosh from the glyph. Haven't done the math to figure out if worth using yet.

Edit: tib did you do thok before or after the hot fix? Depending on how long your guild stretches out the kiting phase you could easily burn through a good chunk of mana.
Edited by Naxe on 9/16/2013 2:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]