Ret Pally or Windwalker Monk as a main?

25 Draenei Paladin
Considering I was a paladin on my old account and it's the class I played from BC to Dragon Soul (about when I left the game) I thought I'd post this here, rather than the monk forums. I've come back to the game after significant downtime on a brand spankin' new account, ready for action, but I've spent the last three months leveling characters to 20-40 and deleting them because I can't make up my mind.

I've narrowed my favorites down to Ret and WW, but I'm very divided. Retribution has a fun and easy rotation now, and I've always loved Prot (and holy to a lesser degree) for off specs. Not to mention all that sexy paladin armor. /whistle And of course I'm nostalgic about it since its where I'm started, and its more fun that Wrath that's for sure... >.>

However, with the implementation of the monk, it's a bit difficult for me. The monk has incredible mobility, and while some people complain about its rotation I find it fun and intriguing. The monk also has some fun little tools, like Transcendence and Storm, Earth and Fire. It's new and it's shiny. However, I don't see myself playing MW and BM seems odd.

I'm mostly looking into PvE content, (I'm a total scrub at PvP) and I'm wondering if either class has any significant upsides or downsides to the other I should be aware of, or what any opinions on class choice are otherwise. The Paladin forums have always been full of constructive thinkers, so I'm looking forward to seeing any answers :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Monk
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9793010845#16
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Brewmasters are in more demand than a wind walker. They really don't offer anything to the raid.

Ret ftw.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I feel Monks are a hard counter to Paladins - but we are still the Master Class. Don't lower yourself to be one.
Reply Quote
25 Draenei Paladin
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9793010845#16

Well that thread went places quickly. Lol. Thanks for linking.
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
Hoping this thread gets answered. I had the same exact question before I saw your post.
Reply Quote
91 Human Monk
I feel Monks are a hard counter to Paladins - but we are still the Master Class. Don't lower yourself to be one.

We can be if you choose to engage in melee combat with a WW monk. However if you kite with BoG and keep inquisition up, exorcism, holy prism, judgment and burst only when you time it properly the tides can turn. In general, Monks excel vs. other melee classes when in close range . However, whenever I fight good monks on my Paladin I just kite them to no ends (yes it does take some time). On my Feral Druid, I bleed kite monks
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret = more utility
Monk = more mobility that adds survivabilty imo.

Honestly depends on your playstyle. I tried both, and being slowed after tiger's lust when I can just freedom myself on my paladin seems to win over all.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Play both, like I do. I can't guild raid with both, but I'm doing lfr/flex with my monk and it's a lot of fun. Ret is probably stronger in a raiding environment because of the non-damage components of the spec, whereas WW monk utility generally benefits the user only. Still a fun class, but if you're struggling to down bosses with your guild then ret will give your team more of a boost.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I would really like to know cause I, like the person who started this thread, am torn between Monk WindWalker and Retribution Paladin.
Been playing my Paladin since before BC and its hard to let go off it, its pretty fun and I love the looks but monk has that mobility and fun attacks and stances.
Haven't got either to 90 so can someone shed some light into the pve/pvp status of either one?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Two
Luzbel uses Necro-Thread!
It's Super Effective!

Paladin is love
Paladin is life
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
08/18/2014 10:18 PMPosted by Luzbel
I would really like to know cause I, like the person who started this thread, am torn between Monk WindWalker and Retribution Paladin.
Been playing my Paladin since before BC and its hard to let go off it, its pretty fun and I love the looks but monk has that mobility and fun attacks and stances.
Haven't got either to 90 so can someone shed some light into the pve/pvp status of either one?

Ret has infinitely more utility than a windwalker. Don't quote me on this but I believe their damage output is around the same, which is middle to upper middle of the pack.

I play both specs and enjoy both quite a bit but paladin will probably always be my main. They have such great tools that I miss when I'm on another class.

It really comes down to what you prefer more or what your raid comp is like. If you're truly stumped on a class and not in a hurry, then I would wait a week or two until the PTR comes up and make a premade 90.

But if you really just want an answer, I'd say paladin. They have decent damage in PvE, they have good utility, they look awesome and have awesome lore, and are just kind of a flashy class with awesome animations.
Reply Quote
95 Human Paladin
Ret Paladins and Paladins overall look more Promising in WoD

but OP ask yourself this if you're a Monk at heart I won't judge you

Dammit I posted in a necro thread
Edited by Divium on 8/18/2014 11:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I play both and my preference, so far, is for a ret pally.

With a WW monk you almost get TOO many useful powers. Sounds like an embarrassment of riches but the play mechanics are so unwieldy that you end up being less, not more, effective. Players better at juggling huge numbers of powers may feel differently.

Also, I prefer plate over leather in a big way.

Ret pallies also seem to do better in battlegrounds. I find myself at the top of the heap a fair number of times, and almost always Top 5. Not the crazy kill totals that marks hunters are wracking up these days, but not bad. And better than most WW monks I see.

So, my preference is for the ret pally. But I will say this ... if you come across a WW monk solo, you could be in for an a** kicking. One on one WW monks are one of the toughest classes in the game.
Edited by Wärangel on 8/19/2014 1:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]