Ret Pally or Windwalker Monk as a main?

25 Draenei Paladin
Considering I was a paladin on my old account and it's the class I played from BC to Dragon Soul (about when I left the game) I thought I'd post this here, rather than the monk forums. I've come back to the game after significant downtime on a brand spankin' new account, ready for action, but I've spent the last three months leveling characters to 20-40 and deleting them because I can't make up my mind.

I've narrowed my favorites down to Ret and WW, but I'm very divided. Retribution has a fun and easy rotation now, and I've always loved Prot (and holy to a lesser degree) for off specs. Not to mention all that sexy paladin armor. /whistle And of course I'm nostalgic about it since its where I'm started, and its more fun that Wrath that's for sure... >.>

However, with the implementation of the monk, it's a bit difficult for me. The monk has incredible mobility, and while some people complain about its rotation I find it fun and intriguing. The monk also has some fun little tools, like Transcendence and Storm, Earth and Fire. It's new and it's shiny. However, I don't see myself playing MW and BM seems odd.

I'm mostly looking into PvE content, (I'm a total scrub at PvP) and I'm wondering if either class has any significant upsides or downsides to the other I should be aware of, or what any opinions on class choice are otherwise. The Paladin forums have always been full of constructive thinkers, so I'm looking forward to seeing any answers :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Monk
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9793010845#16
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Brewmasters are in more demand than a wind walker. They really don't offer anything to the raid.

Ret ftw.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I feel Monks are a hard counter to Paladins - but we are still the Master Class. Don't lower yourself to be one.
Reply Quote
25 Draenei Paladin
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9793010845#16

Well that thread went places quickly. Lol. Thanks for linking.
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
Hoping this thread gets answered. I had the same exact question before I saw your post.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I feel Monks are a hard counter to Paladins - but we are still the Master Class. Don't lower yourself to be one.

We can be if you choose to engage in melee combat with a WW monk. However if you kite with BoG and keep inquisition up, exorcism, holy prism, judgment and burst only when you time it properly the tides can turn. In general, Monks excel vs. other melee classes when in close range . However, whenever I fight good monks on my Paladin I just kite them to no ends (yes it does take some time). On my Feral Druid, I bleed kite monks
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret = more utility
Monk = more mobility that adds survivabilty imo.

Honestly depends on your playstyle. I tried both, and being slowed after tiger's lust when I can just freedom myself on my paladin seems to win over all.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Play both, like I do. I can't guild raid with both, but I'm doing lfr/flex with my monk and it's a lot of fun. Ret is probably stronger in a raiding environment because of the non-damage components of the spec, whereas WW monk utility generally benefits the user only. Still a fun class, but if you're struggling to down bosses with your guild then ret will give your team more of a boost.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]