Diablo® III

A letter to all D3 developers and players (about AH)

I have been thinking over about how I should express myself right in this letter, and finally the words come out in a more compelled way.

I won't say I'm on the pro or con side of the decision to shut down AHs permanently after the coming March; however, I have a bit words for everyone involved in this.

To the developers, the thing I want to say is, if you have an unhealthy son, would you find a way to heal him or abandon him because of the pressure from outside?

I was a s/w developer too when I was in school, I certainly know how every single line of codes takes a developer’s effort. For whoever decided to shut down AHs, did you care about how the ones developed them felt like? If you are the same group of people, let’s come back to the question stated above. You decided to abandon your sick son? How silly it is?

For the players, I mean players instead of haters in this game, who didn't enjoy the convenience to get the items you need to go through the “bottle necks”, especially during the “super-unlucky” days? For now, the difficulty of multi-players’ game is increased and meeting skilled veterans will be definitely harder when the expansion comes out. Given the AHs will be gone by then, I start stocking some level 40~60 str items with the stats I expect to be useful for my crusader. For those who also played this game since day one, you know what it takes to level up a new character without AHs or any prepared items.

For the haters, mainly for the ones who played this game and decided to hate it because of AHs, the thing I would say is that people generally become more irrational when they come online since they feel like no one here knows who they are in real life. Therefore, they tend to say whatever they want. It will be fine if the decision makers know how to filter the voice they get; however, the news about shutting down AHs completely makes me think the D3 developers aren’t able to do so/cannot perform in the way they outta to given all the pressures they have.

Let me use a metaphor to express myself more clearly. Is there any protest done by people to shut down all the manufacturers of nice race cars just because they think these cars/drivers destroyed their driving experience? Let’s say there is one protest like this, any one seriously thinks it’s right for the government to shut down all the factories that produces these cars/the organized markets to trade these cars? Being not able to accept that others may afford better things than you do, turn around giving pressures and finally making the system hurt everybody including you, if this is not envy/emotional communism, what else is?

Let’s get down to some real talk. If you cannot afford what others can, please stay cool and enjoy the life you have at the very moment. If you have enough effort, try to make your own life better. If you don’t, then try to keep what you already have in your hand and don’t loss them.

I’m not saying the AHs we have at the very moment is prefect and nothing can be done to make it better. As I said, if I coded the AHs, I would think he is my sick son due to his unsatisfied performance.

If you can still stay with me until this lane, here comes to thesis of this letter: if all of us believe that AHs are just “too convenient to keep the enjoyable gaming experience of killing fearsome monsters and finally getting the loots you want”, please keep it in an adjusted way so that we cannot use the AHs for items solutions just like we use google when we face a hard problem in school. Make the bids blind and no buyout option, increase the duration from 1d12h to like 5d, so on and so forth. We have so many ways to heal this poor kid and we decide to abandon him just because of the pressure from outside (plus that they are most likely irrational).

Come on, Blizzard.
Edited by HFLY#1189 on 9/22/2013 4:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1. Comparing the AH to a sick child is low, and desperate, and pathetic. Shame on you.

2. Where was this reasonable attitude over the summer, when many players were trying to gain traction for a compromise? I was sick to death of the SF debate, personally, but they were at least trying to find a middle ground, and pro-AH players mostly reacted with hostility and derision... knowing that Blizzard was paying attention to the issue. Blizzard had a strong vested interest in keeping the AHs. They did not make this decision lightly. If they had seen any possible way to make both sides happy, they wouldn't be doing this.
Reply Quote
That kid has been agonizing for more than a year. Let him go.
Reply Quote
09/22/2013 04:17 PMPosted by HFLY
To the developers, the thing I want to say is, if you have an unhealthy son, would you find a way to heal him or abandon him because of the pressure from outside?

I rly had to stop reading here man wtf ....
U want to have a system that can monopolisticaly control "best" items with MONEY, in game where killing monsters for loot is CORE? wrong man...
Reply Quote
Kid had a AH infection.
I thought they had abandoned it, glad to be wrong.
Reply Quote
1. Comparing the AH to a sick child is low, and desperate, and pathetic. Shame on you.

2. Where was this reasonable attitude over the summer, when many players were trying to gain traction for a compromise? I was sick to death of the SF debate, personally, but they were at least trying to find a middle ground, and pro-AH players mostly reacted with hostility and derision... knowing that Blizzard was paying attention to the issue. Blizzard had a strong vested interest in keeping the AHs. They did not make this decision lightly. If they had seen any possible way to make both sides happy, they wouldn't be doing this.

You definitely didn't code any single thing in your life. Save your voice when you don't have the same background. Accept there are people don't take the things like you do; otherwise, that's called prejudice.

Blizzard hasn't expressed any ideas about what they are exactly going to do untill they said the AHs would be gone forever.

I cannot care less about how others react and I don't think this is too late to express my idea. If my suggestion is worse than shutting down AHs forever, please point out where exactly the drawbacks are.

Right now I think we are going back to the D2 trade ways, which definitely make me want to quit.

Well, I know no one besides my friends cares about whether I'm going to play; however, I still want to make the guys who made me feel bad hear my voice.
Reply Quote
09/22/2013 04:31 PMPosted by HFLY
I cannot care less about how others react and I don't think this is too late to express my idea.

Blizzard cannot reverse the AH removal decision, without losing every shred of credibility that they have, and that they've gained. It was done too publicly, and to far too much acclaim. They'd have to be idiots, and they're not idiots. Not lately, anyway.

I know that you don't care about anyone but yourself, and that the opinions of 90% of Blizzard's customers who bought this game mean nothing to you, but you might want to do a Google search for Diablo 3 news, and just scroll though the results. It's page after page of nothing but positive reaction to Blizzard's decision; the only criticism I've seen is from people wanting to know why Blizzard isn't also removing the DRM.

That is the environment in which you're asking Blizzard to reverse themselves again, and keep the AH anyway... and resorting to emotional blackmail to do convince them. Your "sick child" analogy is not the rhetorical approach of someone who truly believes that their position can carry the day on its merits.
Edited by Waitubold#1127 on 9/22/2013 4:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/22/2013 04:25 PMPosted by Wildmind

I rly had to stop reading here man wtf ....
U want to have a system that can monopolisticaly control "best" items with MONEY, in game where killing monsters for loot is CORE? wrong man...

My suggestion is, take others' money as their efforts like your time too, there is nothing wrong for those who want to spend and have fun in this game like you did.

Buying good items -> kill stronger monsters faster and easier -> get better items -> enjoy
farming good items -> kill stronger monsters faster and easier -> get better items -> enjoy

Why so many players cannot take the fact that both ways obey the so-called CORE of the game?

Is it so hard to accept that not every one behaves in the same way/the way you want them to behave???
Reply Quote
Here's my idea about D3 from a disapointed fan of D2. In fact, they need to shut it down(D3 is a crappy game). You take back the concept of D2(Skills Tree where you can boost choosen skills and avoid other skills so we can have a more specific caracter : Everyone at lvl60 in D3 have same caracters). And also, good legendary items(D3 99% of legendary drops are s***)! The only thing to keep from D3 is the graphics and smoothness(Fluidity) of the battles. And finaly and the more important thing from D1 and D2, OFFLINE MODE! Still keep an internet connection to avoid cracking the game(User login), save caracters stats and gears. Just make the saves when changing between maps. So no more LAG in game!!!

Jocelin Caron
Reply Quote
09/22/2013 04:38 PMPosted by Waitubold
I cannot care less about how others react and I don't think this is too late to express my idea.

Blizzard cannot reverse the AH removal decision, without losing every shred of credibility that they have, and that they've gained. It was done too publicly, and to far too much acclaim. They'd have to be idiots, and they're not idiots. Not lately, anyway.

I know that you don't care about anyone but yourself, and that the opinions of 90% of Blizzard's customers who bought this game mean nothing to you, but you might want to do a Google search for Diablo 3 news, and just scroll though the results. It's page after page of nothing but positive reaction to Blizzard's decision; the only criticism I've seen is from people wanting to know why Blizzard isn't also removing the DRM.

That is the environment in which you're asking Blizzard to reverse themselves again, and keep the AH anyway... and resorting to emotional blackmail to do convince them. Your "sick child" analogy is not the rhetorical approach of someone who truly believes that their position can carry the day on its merits.

Blizzard has been changing minds without affecting the reputation/credibility, if you know this company for a long enough time, you should know this.

Again, Blizzard is an entertainment firm instead of a financial institution. As long as they can make better games, who cares if they change their minds?
Reply Quote
OP, when you say that you're not on the pro or con side of the debate, you're misleading your audience. Your bias is quite clear from your post.

Your comparison of the AH to a sick child is quite disturbing, but let's go with it. From my perspective (which admittedly is biased the other way), I would not call the AH the sick child. Diablo 3 itself is the sick child. The AH is a cancer, a disease. We kill diseases.
Reply Quote
The lengths that some of these AH tycoons are taking things currently is disgusting.

OP. Post your idea reasonably and professionally, sans the offensive "sick kid" analogy/parallel so you have a hope that players or Blizzard will take you seriously
Reply Quote
Here's my idea about D3 from a disapointed fan of D2. In fact, they need to shut it down(D3 is a crappy game). You take back the concept of D2(Skills Tree where you can boost choosen skills and avoid other skills so we can have a more specific caracter : Everyone at lvl60 in D3 have same caracters). And also, good legendary items(D3 99% of legendary drops are s***)! The only thing to keep from D3 is the graphics and smoothness(Fluidity) of the battles. And finaly and the more important thing from D1 and D2, OFFLINE MODE! Still keep an internet connection to avoid cracking the game(User login), save caracters stats and gears. Just make the saves when changing between maps. So no more LAG in game!!!

Jocelin Caron

Dude, you didn't say a single word about why ahs should be gone forever.

If you played D2, you seriously thinks trading by using third party forums/random items rather than gold is enjoyable? Seriously???
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter

You definitely didn't code any single thing in your life. Save your voice when you don't have the same background. Accept there are people don't take the things like you do; otherwise, that's called prejudice.

Who cares about developers feelings towards their code. It's their job. I'm a dev myself and I know it. It's design decision. If the code doesn't serve its purpose, it should be removed.
Reply Quote

Who cares about developers feelings towards their code. It's their job. I'm a dev myself and I know it. It's design decision. If the code doesn't serve its purpose, it should be removed.

What if there is another option to keep to codes there and make them serve the purpose?

Did anyone cheering for the shut down of ahs here ever remember the convenience they get from the ahs?
Reply Quote
The AH's convenience and efficiency don't make up for the problems it causes, chiefly its undermining of loot hunting.
Reply Quote
For anyone who wants to reply after this post, please focus on the second last paragraph of my letter.

That's where the thesis is and the point I want to discuss with you guys.

Arguing about other things about my letter is quite pointless, let's get down to some real talks.
Edited by HFLY#1189 on 9/22/2013 5:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My point is not about the AH but the entire game(They could keep it or not, I don't care). Sorry about my complaint of D3 in your forum that was about the AH.

Sorry,
Jocelin Caron
Reply Quote
09/22/2013 05:01 PMPosted by Acrimony
The AH's convenience and efficiency don't make up for the problems it causes, chiefly its undermining of loot hunting.

My suggestion to adjust ahs takes this into consideration,

During the 5 days waiting time+blind bid+no buyout to get the bid item, the anxiety will definitely make the players keep their loot hunting going on and feel even more excited if they get what they wanted from loots.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]