Diablo® III

Why Hardcore in D3 is the way to go

Theodore Roosevelt once said “Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty.”

Unfortunately, all effort, pain, and difficulty was removed from D3 Softcore by being able to respec without cost, not being able to assign stats, and even having almost no cost to dying.

Fortunately the AH is going away, but it did its damage in that it even took away the cost of equipping your character (At least as far as in-game cost and effort is concerned)

In D2, a respec meant starting new. Even death held a chance that you would lose all your gear if you could not get back to your body. And at least some experience was lost in death. I never played Hardcore in D2, but I am finding that playing HC is the only way I can introduce worth to my D3 playing.

The longevity of D2 is due to a few things the game did right, but one of them is that to accomplish something in D2, it took effort, pain and difficulty.

Who else is finding that HC is the only way to introduce longevity to this game? I am quite sure I would have left months ago if I had not started playing HC. I figure the rate of HC players in D3 is far higher than it ever was in D2. If anything, maybe Blizzard will take this as a lesson for future games.
Reply Quote
I dare you to play hc on the eu server where there are constant lag spikes ranging from 600-1500 ms ping
Reply Quote
As long there is bad internet.....hc to play isnt smart.
If u still do then its your problem.
I wouldnt start hc. Every game i played where some kind of hc existed i died because of internet.
Hc is just retarded.........Once there is 100% safe internet then its ok.
Until then DO NOT TOUCH IT!
Its not even different to sc...
Reply Quote
I had pretty much come to the same conclusion a few months ago. I agree 100% OP.

HC adds an element of risk which makes every decision you make have to be calculated.. your build, your gear, even how you approach mobs and run routes.. Everything you do takes strategy and thought..

SC takes absolutely no thought.. You can gear to farm MP10 for almost nothing and farm mp10 without even having to think on any class. With a hyperinflated market the only incentive to continually play SC disappeared more than 6 months ago.

I only focus on my HC toons now, and I most likely will only use my SC toons to test out strategies for builds/gear for the expac.
Reply Quote
Lag = No HC
Reply Quote
Theodore Roosevelt once said “Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty.”

he probably never had to suffer the los of a P100 char with nice gear because of a disconect.

Just a guess though.
Edited by CrniVuk#2227 on 10/23/2013 12:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/23/2013 11:40 AMPosted by DieHard
Lag = No HC

I very rarely have lag spikes/DCs. Almost never really.

There's a pretty simple strategy.. you play in groups.. Everybody watches out for each other.. If you get any hints of lag spikes just log and come back later.. Also, you can easily test for server side lag with a short run in SC.

If you always have terrible lag maybe you should dig a little more into ISP/PC/Networking Hardware.
Reply Quote
I love HC, started playing after I got all chars to lvl 60 in SC and a few plvls and could not find an upgrade outside the AH. quit for a few months and started HC toons
Few things I like about HC.
No RMAH, GAH is not flodded with 9000 pages of garbage, which in turn makes finding upgrades inside the game easier, or selling and buying on the AH easier and I can usually sell items quick and buy upgrades at an affordable price, I put max buyout at 50k and most of the time I find an upgrade, I also sell alot of stuff I find or craft,

If you die your dead, you cant keep running back to an elite pack 15 times to kill it.

You play alot differently in HC, I am way more cautious, and plan more.
Everytime I get a lvl, finish an act, even get to nightmare I felt awesome.

My highest is my DH in NMa3 atm, I have had more fun in HC.
I have lost lvl 40 toons as well as lvl 14 toons, learned a lesson and got the next one higher.

HC seems to have more old time gamers, and less epeen teens, I am certian most HC gamers are old d2 players, and less wow give me loot every 30 seconds for handing in a barell of fish kids
Edited by Chrispy#1964 on 10/23/2013 11:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Agreed that the one problem with HC is lag and disconnects.

Even a death due to stupidity is an honorable death. But a death due to lag or disconnect is just an all around frustrating way to go.

Too bad Blizzard will not entertain the option of having an Offline mode.
Reply Quote
yeah, I believe playing HC is the way to go and atm HC is played by most of mature players. not so much about gear bragging, more about having fun between pain, effort, and defeating the monster.
if internet is good, D3 HC is absolutely a great game as far as skill balance, gold balance, gear balance.
D2 maybe not necessary an HC game,
D3 is 100% an HC game to have fun !

I love HC, started playing after I got all chars to lvl 60 in SC and a few plvls and could not find an upgrade outside the AH. quit for a few months and started HC toons
Few things I like about HC.
No RMAH, GAH is not flodded with 9000 pages of garbage, which in turn makes finding upgrades inside the game easier, or selling and buying on the AH easier and I can usually sell items quick and buy upgrades at an affordable price, I put max buyout at 50k and most of the time I find an upgrade, I also sell alot of stuff I find or craft,

If you die your dead, you cant keep running back to an elite pack 15 times to kill it.

You play alot differently in HC, I am way more cautious, and plan more.
Everytime I get a lvl, finish an act, even get to nightmare I felt awesome.

My highest is my DH in NMa3 atm, I have had more fun in HC.
I have lost lvl 40 toons as well as lvl 14 toons, learned a lesson and got the next one higher.

HC seems to have more old time gamers, and less epeen teens, I am certian most HC gamers are old d2 players, and less wow give me loot every 30 seconds for handing in a barell of fish kids
Reply Quote
10/23/2013 11:45 AMPosted by Flyinshoe
Lag = No HC

There's a pretty simple strategy.. you play in groups.. Everybody watches out for each other.. If you get any hints of lag spikes just log and come back later.. Also, you can easily test for server side lag with a short run in SC.

If you always have terrible lag maybe you should dig a little more into ISP/PC/Networking Hardware.

rarely? almost never.?

it doesnt matter...because 1 time it will happen..

thats actually even worse for you because you will have gained more paragon levels and then pooff..one time..internet cuts out or bliz cuts out...done
Reply Quote
It shouldn't have to be either or.

HC should be fixed with disconnect/lag protection.

SC should be improved with a more meaningful death penalty or survival bonus.
Reply Quote
10/23/2013 11:40 AMPosted by DieHard
Lag = No HC

pretty much this is why I dont wanna get higher plvls
Reply Quote
10/23/2013 11:45 AMPosted by Flyinshoe

come play on Eu server and say the same thing bro...
Reply Quote
HC is the ONLY way to go in D3. I don't see the point of SC when there are so many better games out there. NO risk, no thrill, no fun.

And to the people crying about D/C and Lag... that's part of it, us HC players have to actually think about battles and our positioning, gear, eHp, etc. to counter lag and D/C. I know it is a hard concept to understand for most kids that play the game, but hey, that's what keeps hc fun.
Reply Quote
Speaks more to the flaws of a game, if you can combat disconnects with gear.
Are you seriously saying disconnects adds interesting challenge to the game?
Edited by Shadout#2849 on 10/23/2013 2:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/23/2013 02:07 PMPosted by Goatkillerx
And to the people crying about D/C and Lag... that's part of it, us HC players have to actually think about battles and our positioning, gear, eHp, etc. to counter lag and D/C. I know it is a hard concept to understand for most kids that play the game

haha, thanks for the laugh, I trully hope your barb stays alive for a while; but we all know he will die because of a bad lag spike or disconnect.

I guess it'd be fun for you to start another one
Reply Quote
10/23/2013 02:19 PMPosted by Shadout
Are you seriously saying disconnects adds interesting challenge to the game?

Yes, isn't that part of the thrill of life? Random crap that happens that makes no sense but you gotta mitigate it regardless...

But alas, not everyone caught that point about HC being mainly populated by more mature players. You know, just because we talk about how fun HC is compared to SC, nobody is forcing anyone to play HC, so why all the entitlement showing up to say how it's not possible to have HC fun, when theres obviously people here saying how fun it is?

Yea, it was definitely a mistake to even consider coming back to a Blizzard Forum, nevermind a Blizzard Game. Have fun kiddos!
Reply Quote

And to the people crying about D/C and Lag... that's part of it, us HC players have to actually think about battles and our positioning, gear, eHp, etc. to counter lag and D/C. I know it is a hard concept to understand for most kids that play the game, but hey, that's what keeps hc fun.

Nope.

/signed

Fellow HC player
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]