Diablo® III

Can someone explain targeted drops to me?

View profile
I want to find a new wand and offhand so...

1. What's the best place to farm them?

2. What percentage of drops are targeted?

3. Does equipment affect it? e.g. If I'm wielding a wand with APoC and LS, am I more likely to get one with APoC and LS?
Reply Quote
I don't think that the game targets stats at you other than making it more likely to roll strength as a barb or dex as a monk.

I also don't think areas are more likely to drop some items than other areas.

With that being said, I found 5 legendary fist weapons on my monk today in a 30 minute play session, and found no other legendaries during that time. I'm inclined to think that whatever they did to the RNG to make the loot targeted causes bursts of similar items to fall around the same time.

And before someone comes in here screaming about RNG, I understand random variables. Obviously one trial is less than explanatory for a whole system.

EDIT: Targeted drops do make class content more likely to spawn, like fist weapons for monks, quivers for DH, and the set items for each class
Edited by NalyD#1835 on 10/24/2013 8:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just play as the class you want to find gear. If you trade for gear it will happen quickly, if not, then just play. There is no "best place to farm drops" since any monster can drop any legendary.

I think your putting too much into thought. Just enjoy the game man.
Reply Quote
View profile
10/24/2013 08:27 PMPosted by NalyD
I also don't think areas are more likely to drop some items than other areas.

Yeah. I guess I was just hoping that bosses had a better chance of producing targeted drops or something. I'm going to hit vota hard this weekend because lot of gobs. Elites are good too and I did manage to find a new OH last night. I went from winter flurry to oculus which made me lose about 8k DPS but probably gained about 45k vs. elites so vota M2 with about 190k DPS sleet storm build will be complete faceroll and I'll still be hitting oasis and other areas to load up on xp.

10/24/2013 08:27 PMPosted by NalyD
EDIT: Targeted drops do make class content more likely to spawn, like fist weapons for monks, quivers for DH, and the set items for each class

This is correct. Your first comment about it only making your stat more likely to spawn isn't (although a targeted drop will be more likely to have you stat without a doubt, just mincing words here). When the game drops an item, it decides whether or not it's a targeted drop. That's why you get more fist weapons on a monk. Those guaranteed legendaries you get from virgin diablo kills are examples of targeted drops. If it was only related to main stat you'd get just as many legendary wands as fist weapons while playing a monk. I've found massive amounts of wiz legendaries on my wiz and only one class specific legendary for an other class (it was a nat's hand xbow). This is in my 19 plvls of inferno farming.

10/24/2013 08:53 PMPosted by UnsentSoul
Just play as the class you want to find gear.

Yes, playing the class for which you want items is a given.

I think your putting too much into thought. Just enjoy the game man.

Hmm you are probably right but I'm still gonna try out vota runs...
Reply Quote
View profile
My WD keeps getting quivers :/
Reply Quote
View profile
Bump to see if anyone has the low down on the targie droppies. Maybe a Blue?? The Blues love console discussion, right?

:D
Reply Quote
the blue's aren't here .. it's the weekend.
Reply Quote
View profile
biznump

blues are back!
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Every item that drops has a chance to be tailored for your character (as you pointed out), but when and where specific items drop is still completely random. Other than Magic Find, your equipped gear won't affect items that drop for you. Simply killing lots of monsters is the best way to find upgrades, and I think your plan to farm Act II is solid. Good luck with finding a rockin new wand!
Reply Quote
Yeah I keep getting quivers/ barb shield and I just got a ceremonial knife for a wd last night (on my wiz) too. All legendaries. I noticed a huge uptick in barb gear when i started playing with the templar. gonna go back to the sorceress lady.
Reply Quote
10/28/2013 06:20 PMPosted by Deali13
Yeah I keep getting quivers/ barb shield and I just got a ceremonial knife for a wd last night (on my wiz) too. All legendaries. I noticed a huge uptick in barb gear when i started playing with the templar. gonna go back to the sorceress lady.

Wait what Templar? This is console
Reply Quote
10/28/2013 06:34 PMPosted by R33F

Wait what Templar? This is console

The follower guy.
Reply Quote
10/28/2013 06:05 PMPosted by Grimiku
Every item that drops has a chance to be tailored for your character (as you pointed out), but when and where specific items drop is still completely random. Other than Magic Find, your equipped gear won't affect items that drop for you. Simply killing lots of monsters is the best way to find upgrades, and I think your plan to farm Act II is solid. Good luck with finding a rockin new wand!

I've always wondered what happens if you are playing a barbarian and a wand drops. Is there a chance that the wand will be a 'smart drop' and roll barbarian stats? Basically will class specific items be considered for 'smart drops' even if your are playing a class that can't use the given item.
Reply Quote
I always find it strange that my wiz can use more weapon types than my barb.

On PS3 most of my drops where specific to the toon I was playing at the time, so lots of INT stuff on my wiz drops. Yet on the xbox, I get more of a mix across all stats and quite a few that do not have INT on them.

On PS3 it was a pain trying to get gear for my Templar follower when playing my wiz as most gear was heavy on the INT. On Xbox, my Templar has been upgraded on all items in just about every run I do but not so much so my wiz.
Reply Quote
10/28/2013 06:05 PMPosted by Grimiku

Is this true for loot 2.0 as well? when I'll get targeted drops in RoS will my currently worn gear ( except for magic find ) affects what drops?

Simplified question: If I have a barbarian with 0% MF in RoS will he get less good loot than the same barbarian with 0% MF but with super good gear?
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
10/30/2013 03:37 AMPosted by Guy
Other than Magic Find, your equipped gear won't affect items that drop for you.

ill take that as a no, the only reason better gear will change what kind of loot you get is due to change in perception on whats good. Better gear means more trash drops cause less possible upgrades :)
Reply Quote
View profile
Thanks, Grim, that was an awesome response. I now know that your equipped gear's affixes don't matter and that targeted drops are completely random. (Well, accept for the virgin Diablo kill items which are so obviously targeted drops. But you only get one shot at them so it doesn't really matter.)

One more thing, any chance we might see a web based game guide for console stats on items? Maybe you guys could put a little scroll bar under the legendary items representing the item's ilvl and as you more the bar, the stats change before your eyes.

10/30/2013 03:37 AMPosted by Guy
If I have a barbarian with 0% MF in RoS will he get less good loot than the same barbarian with 0% MF but with super good gear?

Well, the answer is a definitive no for console loot. I'm going to guess no for RoS as well. As soon as Grim told us that your equip doesn't matter, it made complete sense for 2 reasons. First, a character with uber gear is gonna get way more items anyway because he'll be destroying larger droves of tougher monsters in less time, don't need to be a mathematician to figure that out. Second, It would create problems with people feeling the need to wear a certain kind of gear to find more of that same gear. To expand on that, it would also keep people in builds longer by making it more difficult to find gear with completely different affixes. This isn't what Blizzard (and most of the players for that matter) want. They want you to be able to find a cool ring with some skill bonus that makes you rethink everything you know about your class and come up with new builds. I think that's great and that that's how it'll stay.
Reply Quote
The thing is, Josh said that in RoS every item will have a small chance to be a targeted drop that is tailored to be an upgrade/side grade for your character so I am thinking that if an item drop and the game decides it will be that special drop then it needs to check your gear in order to determine whats upgrade/side grade for you...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]