Diablo® III

PC or console?

What do you play on? or what do you plan to be playing D3 on in the future?

I have only played on PC so far, but clearly the game was designed more to be played on the console. Apparently the console version is better at the moment too, and I would shell out the $60 to get it for my 360, but I plan on getting it for PS4 when it releases, and I'm just not that much of a fan of the game right now to buy it that many times.

But with the 2.0 patch and RoS coming, and next gen, I think I'd be able to get back into it again. Starting over new with the changes, and playing it on console, will hopefully get me into it more than I am now. I know Diablo has always been more of a PC game, but that doesn't look like the case for D3, which is kinda sad, but there was a lot that changed with D3 too that almost makes it feel like a completely different game. But since it was designed more for the console, and because I haven't been playing PC games as much anyways, it still seems like a good choice for the console, especially the PS4.

EDIT: After re-reading my post and reading the replies, I shouldn't have said that D3 was "clearly" made for console. I know some parts seem more suitable for console play, but personally I really do enjoy the PC version more. Using the mouse and keyboard is a big reason, but also I haven't played with a controller before. Either way I've always liked using keyboard and mouse more for ARPG games. If it's true too that the expansion and patches will come out later for the console versions than the PC, I'd probably just stick with PC. My only reason for getting it on console would be that I know more people who play console than PC.
Edited by Enslaved#1464 on 10/29/2013 2:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Console D3 will always be fake D3 to me. If you enjoy game breaking hacks, dupes and drop rates that ruin the game within a week then console is for you.

Yeah, Blizz intentionally made console seem to be better at the moment exactly for the reason you are describing. Someone might buy multiple copies of a game they already own. That is why PC has been ignored for so long and continues to be neglected.

Don't be part of that group of dummies Blizz has tried to make a few more bucks off of.
Reply Quote
I play PC and have no desire to start over again on console. I have a PS3 so I tried the demo just for giggles annnnnnnnd no.... regardless of the OP itemization and other features like Nephalem Glory, nothing beats a mouse and keyboard for ARPGs.
Reply Quote
10/29/2013 11:28 AMPosted by Omniscient
I play PC and have no desire to start over again on console. I have a PS3 so I tried the demo just for giggles annnnnnnnd no.... regardless of the OP itemization and other features like Nephalem Glory, nothing beats a mouse and keyboard for ARPGs.

I totally agree. Tried the ps3 demo and it just didn't compare to mouse and keyboard for me.
Reply Quote
Console is tons of fun, better than PC for the moment.
Reply Quote
10/29/2013 11:27 AMPosted by RocketQueen
If you enjoy game breaking hacks, dupes and drop rates that ruin the game within a week then console is for you.

While there are hacks and dupes it is in now way really game breaking IMO. Just don't play with people that do it, it is pretty obvious who they are when you play. Yes they can be extremely annoying though most of us are getting on fine even with them.

The drop rates also IMO don't ruin the game. They make it more rewarding to play levelling up. Yes they things do drop higher quality more frequently but that really means in practice is that from 1-60 you are getting lots of upgrades and what not, its the carrot on the stick that keeps you going. It's fun.

Post 60 is very different though as far as drops. You get very few actual drops (see: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10262446191) and it is essentially the same as the PC in my opinion. You will hit a gear wall and it becames fairly rare to find the good rolls and better upgrades. In the handful of 60's I have made as well as the number of people I have played with it seems that gear wall hits at around 150k DPS give or take, this is where you will see a large portion of players. After that the upgrades slow way down and it becomes the loot hunt/grind. You still receive a lot of legendaries but they aren't nearly all upgrades at 60, very very few actually are. 5 level 60 with account paragon 15, have yet to find a trifecta on anything.

It seems to me most people bashing the console version loot are the ones who either played just the demo or simply read forum posts/articles on it and judged for themselves. Yes there will be some who dislike it, always will be, however to me it seems the overwhelming majority of players who actually played it to 60 and grinding into some paragon levels finds the experience much more fun and enjoyable than the PC version.

When RoS hits though, from what I have read, I would expect that all to change and PC version once again retains the title as the best version of Diablo. Time will tell.
Reply Quote
PC is the ideal way to play games in general, imo.
Reply Quote
10/29/2013 11:27 AMPosted by RocketQueen
Console D3 will always be fake D3 to me. If you enjoy game breaking hacks, dupes and drop rates that ruin the game within a week then console is for you.

Ya I wouldn't be duping or hacking, or playing with players who did that. As for the drop rates I have no clue how they are really, but they sound better than PC.

10/29/2013 11:28 AMPosted by Omniscient
nothing beats a mouse and keyboard for ARPGs.

I do agree with this, and have always preferred mouse and keyboard... but I do like using a controller as well sometimes. Also most of my friends play on the console, so that's why I have found I enjoy playing on console more than PC.

The drop rates also IMO don't ruin the game. They make it more rewarding to play levelling up. Yes they things do drop higher quality more frequently but that really means in practice is that from 1-60 you are getting lots of upgrades and what not, its the carrot on the stick that keeps you going. It's fun.

Post 60 is very different though as far as drops. You get very few actual drops (see: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10262446191) and it is essentially the same as the PC in my opinion. You will hit a gear wall and it becames fairly rare to find the good rolls and better upgrades. In the handful of 60's I have made as well as the number of people I have played with it seems that gear wall hits at around 150k DPS give or take, this is where you will see a large portion of players. After that the upgrades slow way down and it becomes the loot hunt/grind. You still receive a lot of legendaries but they aren't nearly all upgrades at 60, very very few actually are. 5 level 60 with account paragon 15, have yet to find a trifecta on anything.

It seems to me most people bashing the console version loot are the ones who either played just the demo or simply read forum posts/articles on it and judged for themselves. Yes there will be some who dislike it, always will be, however to me it seems the overwhelming majority of players who actually played it to 60 and grinding into some paragon levels finds the experience much more fun and enjoyable than the PC version.

When RoS hits though, from what I have read, I would expect that all to change and PC version once again retains the title as the best version of Diablo. Time will tell.

What I really wanted to see was more legendaries drop during 1-60, and just all together really. I guess after 60 though you see less legs though? or just less upgrades? Less upgrades doesn't bother me TOO much. I mean, I remember in D2 I didn't find any of the best items, besides shako maybe, and it took a long time for me to upgrade, but what really kept me interested was seeing uniques and set items drop more frequently. And in D3 when a legendary drops I still feel a sense of excitement. When a set items drops I am even more excited because I have only found 1 since release :( . But I don't even bother really putting the time in on PC now to just see a ton of blues and yellows drop.

10/29/2013 12:35 PMPosted by Gix

For the most part I suppose. Of course you can have a better setup to really get the most out of a game graphically and performance wise, and you can use mouse and keyboard, but I like console too. Again I have more friends who play on console so that's probably why I enjoy playing on it more too, but I'll always be a fan of PC as well. I think the whole PC vs console argument is just stupid. Lot's of people have their reasons for using one or the other, but no one is really right or wrong. It's just personal preference.
Reply Quote
PC

- Blizzard has stated that the PC version is their primary focus.
- There's no guarantee that D3 (especially on last gen) consoles will continue to get patch and expansion(s) support for another 3+ years.
- PC has vastly superior inventory management due to the inherit benefits of a mouse and keyboard.
- Diablo as a franchise has always been about multitasking for me. It's NEVER been a game worthy of your full attention which is what a console game tends to demand. PC shines because I can easily listen to music, audio books, netflix, web series and the like while playing the game. This isn't as easy or convenient to accomplish on most console setups.

The only part of the console I find appealing is the offline mode since there's no lag issues. I understand and even support Blizzards decision to go online only on PC but it sucks that they can't seem to correct these problems. Especially when I don't experience them in any other online game I play.
Edited by babinro#1836 on 10/29/2013 1:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Console games are always trashy versions of the pc game. Lower resolution, lower graphic quality, smaller levels, 30fps on what is basically a low end computer. Don't Let the fact that the console version has loot 1.5 right now.
Edited by KillerElite#1853 on 10/29/2013 1:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/29/2013 12:35 PMPosted by Gix

I agree. I have a Xbox 360 and D3 on it, but i just prefer the PC for games.
Reply Quote
PC

- Blizzard has stated that the PC version is their primary focus.
- There's no guarantee that D3 (especially on last gen) consoles will continue to get patch and expansion(s) support for another 3+ years.
- PC has vastly superior inventory management due to the inherit benefits of a mouse and keyboard.
- Diablo as a franchise has always been about multitasking for me. It's NEVER been a game worthy of your full attention which is what a console game tends to demand. PC shines because I can easily listen to music, audio books, netflix, web series and the like while playing the game. This isn't as easy or convenient to accomplish on most console setups.

The only part of the console I find appealing is the offline mode since there's no lag issues. I understand and even support Blizzards decision to go online only on PC but it sucks that they can't seem to correct these problems. Especially when I don't experience them in any other online game I play.

Very good points. I'm glad I 'll still have my PC version, and I'll most likely get the x-pac for it too. But I might get it for PS4 too just to play with some friends on there.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
I play Diablo III on PC and the 360, and I plan on continuing to do so, but my preference leans slightly towards the PC. I think that's just because it's the platform I play most games on. If you find yourself playing more and more console games, then that's what I would recommend. Also, it might be a good idea to wait and see what news comes out, since Blizzcon (and more information about Diablo III) is right around the corner.
Reply Quote
10/29/2013 01:04 PMPosted by KillerElite
Console games are always trashy versions of the pc game. Lower resolution, lower graphic quality, smaller levels, 30fps on what is basically a low end computer. Don't Let the fact that the console version has loot 1.5 right now.

Ya I agree. The only thing is that I'm sure a lot of people either can't or don't want to put a lot of money into a PC. I think console can be good for that. If you don't care too much about having the best graphics either it's not too much of a problem. I know I don't personally care about having the highest quality graphics as long as I enjoy the game itself.. but being able to get the most out of a game with PC is also a plus.
Reply Quote
10/29/2013 01:27 PMPosted by Grimiku
I play Diablo III on PC and the 360, and I plan on continuing to do so, but my preference leans slightly towards the PC. I think that's just because it's the platform I play most games on. If you find yourself playing more and more console games, then that's what I would recommend. Also, it might be a good idea to wait and see what news comes out, since Blizzcon (and more information about Diablo III) is right around the corner.

Ya I've always been more of a PC gamer, especially when it comes to Diablo. Most of my friends though (which isn't a lot lol) play on console so I've found myself on there a bit more. I need to try and convert them into PC gamers, lol.

But ya, I definitely cant wait to see what you guys have in store for D3 at Blizzcon.
Edited by Enslaved#1464 on 10/29/2013 1:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
"I have only played on PC so far, but clearly the game was designed more to be played on the console"

What!?!? You haven't played this series long Im guessing. D1-D2-D3 are PC games...some were ported to console but it was obviously never designed to be a console game.....

I play everything on Windows PC, it's always better. The last game I bought for 360 was Left 4 dead 2 and it turned out to be a bug ridden, glitched half finished beta version for 60 dollars that has never been updated or supported. The PC version however has far greater control, graphics, updated, free DLC and no glitches. rant over.
Reply Quote
"I have only played on PC so far, but clearly the game was designed more to be played on the console"

What!?!? You haven't played this series long Im guessing. D1-D2-D3 are PC games...some were ported to console but it was obviously never designed to be a console game.....

I play everything on Windows PC, it's always better. The last game I bought for 360 was Left 4 dead 2 and it turned out to be a bug ridden, glitched half finished beta version for 60 dollars that has never been updated or supported. The PC version however has far greater control, graphics, updated, free DLC and no glitches. rant over.

I have played since D2, but I wasn't saying that I thought all Diablo games were made more for console, only D3. And I only say that because it looks like D3 was designed to make it easier to play on consoles as well, like 4 player parties and sometimes the UI layout.

I believe I would prefer it more on PC though, as do I prefer so many other games. Valve games are definitely better on PC too. I just don't have a lot of friends who play on PC at the moment so I've been playing console more, especially GTA 5. But yes I do prefer D3 on PC, especially because I like using the mouse and keyboard more. The only reason I would get it for console is so I can play with friends who don't play PC. None of my friends who play D3 on PC have been playing either so that kind of sucks, and I don't usually like joining public games with randoms. The reason for that is usually because you'll find someone who just rushes through and leaves you in the dust, or when I search Monster Slaying games, some people will be questing instead of farming. I really wish they would bring back the create/join game feature like in D2 to fix that.
Edited by Enslaved#1464 on 10/29/2013 1:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Diablo series always been PC Arpg not stupid console $lasher!

Ty men
Edited by Heron#2246 on 10/29/2013 2:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]