Diablo® III

A Couple of Questions

I'm still wondering if post-expansion we'll be able to upgrade the level of the current items (i said "upgrade the level", not "reroll stats"). We all know they are going to increase the level cap, so, what about the items level 63? Garbage?

Same doubt about gems...

Thanks
Edited by Ragathol#2911 on 10/29/2013 2:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't think upgrading items will be an option.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
At this time, we don't have plans for an "item upgrade" system in the manner that you're describing.

As your character gets more powerful (read: levels up from 60-70), higher level gear will become available to you. That aspect of loot acquisition isn't really being changed - higher level characters will, naturally, find higher level loot and want to replace their lower level loot. Current gear shouldn't lose its value. That said, with the changes coming in Loot 2.0, you may find new gear that better compliments your build, and you should find upgrades just as you did when you climbed your way to 60.
Reply Quote
Another question along these lines, how about the current craftables that are account-bound? Will those be raised to correspond with level 70 gear?
Reply Quote
10/29/2013 03:19 PMPosted by Nevalistis
you should find upgrades just as you did when you climbed your way to 60.

So assuming levels 60 to 70 gear are going to have a similar improvement curve as 50 to 60 currently does, then any gear below level 70 will be trash, once you reach 70.

Currently level 59 gear or lower is completely and utterly unimportant, the moment you reach level 60, with very few exceptions being a couple legendary items.
Reply Quote
At this time, we don't have plans for an "item upgrade" system in the manner that you're describing.

As your character gets more powerful (read: levels up from 60-70), higher level gear will become available to you. That aspect of loot acquisition isn't really being changed - higher level characters will, naturally, find higher level loot and want to replace their lower level loot. Current gear shouldn't lose its value. That said, with the changes coming in Loot 2.0, you may find new gear that better compliments your build, and you should find upgrades just as you did when you climbed your way to 60.

Thank you for answer.

However, let me explain my point of view. While i like variety and new items, i think that collecting new items does not necessarily mean making the old gear useless. It's discouraging. I'm sure you understand that many players like me, have already found one or more items with perfect stats. It's not like if you level up a low level character, we are talking about end game items, and i don't see why should i trash them all, if i'd like to use, for example, my perfect mojo with a new expansion item. Probably you are going to release powerful items, and even a crap rare item will be better than a current legendary, but as i said, you should add a NPC to increase the level by lining up the old things.
I really think that while releasing the expansion without making the current gear useless, still makes the game attractive, it's not the same thing considering the opposite option.
Just to be clear, with "variety" i mean that i like the possibility to use many builds, but what makes it possible? If you add overpowered items, you are not going to add something new to the game, but just something that replaces what we have already farmed.
Items should not be straight up stronger than the current ones we have but they could just have different uses.
Reply Quote
No crit chance = perfect mojo?
Reply Quote
Rag, I don't see a problem in the same way you do. You'd rather your current gear just stays BIS forever? I find that insanely boring. What would even be the point of playing if you never had the potential to upgrade gear?
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo IncGamers
View profile
It's amusing how often people misspell "bought" as "found."

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/current-diablo-3-items-upgradeable-ros

I put a survey/vote into the post on this, to measure how eager fans are for RoS gear to all be upgrades... or not.

On the upgrade issue, in D3V ilvl 50-59 gear is junk compared to ilvl 60-63, and you can't find 60+ until you're in Inferno. Will RoS be the same, with all the best stuff ilvl 70? Or will good rolls on ilvl 64-69 have potential high end value as well? Is ilvl 66-70 the new ilvl 61-63? Or will we see a hard line of demarcation at 70?

What i'm trying to explain is the fact that i would still farm new contents that add different game mechanics. We could have both items, old and new, there is no reason to trash the rest. I think the skill of delevopers is when they are able to create new game mechanics, "variety" as i said, without making the old gear useless. Buffing damage is boring and not creative.

@OWD it's an example, I'm not talking about MY mojo, and however, you can't roll crit chance if it has 201+ int. If it has crit chance, the int cap is 200.
Reply Quote
Our current gear will not be useless...man oh man. How do you plan on getting to LvL 70? U gonna fight naked? Vendor items? Even at LvL 70 it'll probably take a while to fully grade all our items slots.

Best thing to do in preparation for RoS and Loot 2.0 plus AH shutdown is this...if you have great gear now and just simply don't want to get stuck with gear that will eventually become obsolete to you as you level and play at LvL 70 with that character is to downgrade your gear now. From now until March 18th (estimated date of Loot 2.0 patch) you have all that time to take a look and decide what GG items you can part with and still have a decent enough set up to play on the higher difficulties.

It's not hard. One example for Monks/DH...Just sell off your 9/6 Nat ring and go for a 8/4 or 8/3.5, then use the remaining gold in whatever manner seems best fit to you. Wanna buy gems (they'll never be useless or lose much value, may even gain as they could be the new currency via trading), crafting mats, or simply cash out that gold at the RMAH...go for it.

I know people that haven't invested a lot of their own wealth but maybe have acquired a lot of GG items, they are just fine keeping them b/c it doesn't matter to them. If it matters to you and you don't want to get stuck with current GG items when everything changes the choice is up to you. Don't look to the D3 team to make your current GG items BIS via Mystic, Crafting, or whatever. They won't do it. It's called an economy reset. It's gonna hit us all. Plus it'll be kind of nice to have many more options and new items to try and find instead of the same old boring set up that 90% of us have to use to maximize DPS and efficiency.

Something to think about...
Reply Quote
View profile
10/29/2013 03:19 PMPosted by Nevalistis
and you should find upgrades just as you did when you climbed your way to 60.

If we find upgrades just as we did on our way to 60 pre loot 2.0, everyone will quit.
Reply Quote
If we find upgrades just as we did on our way to 60 pre loot 2.0, everyone will quit.

Not me.

And don't say that it is because I have thrash gear.
I'm playing on EU (http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/marsovac-2732/hero/6327572)
Reply Quote
I'm not trying to be condescending or rude, but I seriously don't get why people ever expected 60-70 to be different of 50-60. I never got it. And I never spent one cent on RMAH and never got over the top with farming because everything people called "endgame", imo, was midgame.

I was expecting that since... open beta?

The way I see it, it looks like this game will have two expansions or so. I just focus on having enough gear to have fun - and WW barb does a decent job on MP10 white mobs on a budget. No need to go over the top, like Supes said, you don't need to be perfect. After the second Xpack I'll "really start" (maybe paragon 2.0).

Like Nevalists said on the blue post, it's something natural. I'm not even farming paragon levels anymore because I believe the lvl 70 monsters will give way more XP compared to lvl 60 monsters, because it would be natural as well.

I.e. - if it still takes a month or so to level from paragon 90 to 100 after XPack playing a couple hours a day, how long it would take to reach paragon 200, then? And paragon 500, considering an usual experience curve?

That's why I'm doing now, on D3, what I won't be doing after expansion - hunting achievements on hardcore.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]