Diablo® III

i have no interest in transmog

I agree, I want better gameplay, not frills and lace.

Why have you forsaken us Blizzard?
Moo
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
For me the most important feature will be Loot 2.0 and how that is implemented. The game is not currently very rewarding to play.

That said, I have no problems with the idea of customizing a character look. I remember logging in to chat in D2 and having players message me about a gear set I was wearing. Lots of players like to customize the armor they wear for a particular look.

-I wish I had a choice of faces, hair, etc.
-Please let us dye and/or transmog ledgendaries
-Storage. I.Need.More.Storage. I play SF so save gear for alts and have run out. Transmog will make this even worse.

How will transmog work exactly? Will the trasmog effect only stay on the char if the item is in inventory? If so, does it cause the transmog item to become BOA?

Depending on those answers, I would not mind a wardrobe trunk separate from my Stash where I can permanently deposit transmog items. Once deposited, it becomes part of my library of available gear models. When I see the transmog vendor that list would be available in the GUI. Want to transmog boots? It automatically shows me the models I have deposited and lets me try them on.

This all said, I have never used the feature in WoW....the shoulders are just too ugly and there is no hope. The artwork on some of the armor in D3 though is very nice and I might actually consider customizing my character.
10/29/2013 04:20 PMPosted by MissCheetah
How will transmog work exactly? Will the trasmog effect only stay on the char if the item is in inventory? If so, does it cause the transmog item to become BOA?

currently, you train your mystic upon ID'ng items. then you pay a fee to the mystic to copy any of the learned graphics onto the item you wish the change the graphics of, and that process makes it boa. you do not need to retain items. once the mystic learns it once, its learned account wide forever.
Edited by Gewalt#1441 on 10/29/2013 4:30 PM PDT
does anyone really care how pretty my character looks?
this seems like little girls playing doll dressup

Being able to visually customize your character is something that many players enjoy, even in Diablo III. Unfortunately, right now it's super difficult to experiment with different looks (or even achieve certain looks) without crippling your character's power or efficiency. With transmogrification, players can continue to wear the gear that makes them feel powerful, while also wearing something that makes them feel pretty*. That seems pretty win-win to us, and certainly worthy of development resources.

Yes, not everyone will want to take advantage of transmogrification, but many players will and ideally it'll make their in-game experience more enjoyable as a result.

*See also: awesome, manly, epic, bada<em/>ss, like a boss, [positive adjective here].

10/29/2013 12:42 PMPosted by dewey
forgive me....for being a party pooper

I don't think you're being a party pooper at all. I just think you're voicing an opinion that might be different from other players you interact with. Having a differing opinion isn't bad and it certainly doesn't fall into party pooper territory. It's when you assume that your opinion is more valid than others (particularly if said opinion seeks to belittle the enjoyment of people who aren't you) and start to be ##!@!%%# about it that you need to be careful of your Double-P status. ;)

i can think of so many other things i would like to see
instead of transmog

The majority of design decisions aren't really binary like that (i.e. you get this OR that), and we've absolutely no plans to remove transmogrification at this point given the positive feedback it's received thus far.

Even so, let's entertain the discussion. What kind of features would you like to see in Reaper of Souls instead of or in addition to transmogrification? And why?

Jennifer poops at the parties? (sorry if you don't get this joke)
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
10/29/2013 04:29 PMPosted by Gewalt

currently, you train your mystic upon ID'ng items. then you pay a fee to the mystic to copy any of the learned graphics onto the item you wish the change the graphics of, and that process makes it boa. you do not need to retain items. once the mystic learns it once, its learned account wide forever.

Thank you! I missed that apparently. I admit I don't always have time to read everything that comes out. If that is how it works, then it sounds like it is the same as what I wanted.
Community Manager
i want less wow stuff
and more diablo stuff

We’ve no plans to suddenly starting adding features from World of Warcraft simply because they’re from World of Warcraft. We based transmogrification in Diablo III on the working model we have for World of Warcraft, yes, but the impetus for adding it wasn't because "it's in World of Warcraft, therefore it should be in Diablo III"; it was because (we feel) it provides a meaningful service to players, one that's at present missing and has been repeatedly asked for. It's not just a direct port, either; we've made several changes to the system to ensure that it makes sense within Sanctuary and fits the D3 game model.

So, the process is kind of like this:

- Identify an issue or area that needs improvement > Discuss solutions > Is the best possible solution based on World of Warcraft? > Yes. > Okay, let’s tailor it to Diablo III.

OR

- Identify an issue or area that needs improvement > Discuss solutions > Is the best possible solution based on a mechanic from World of Warcraft? > No. > Okay, cool. Let’s do something else.

NOT this:

- Let’s arbitrarily add a World of Warcraft feature to Diablo III > Does it make sense to add this feature or solve any issues? > lol, no > Find excuses to add it anyway.

It's all about having an issue to address or a role to fill first then developing a feature to fit, not vice-versa. :)
Community Manager
I think your transmog feature is a mistake, and I would much rather see you blatantly copy rifts wardrobe tab. I'm sorry, im very excited for transmog.. but not this transmog.

Cosmetic slots are pretty sweet! Though, perhaps not the best solution for Diablo III specifically. We feel the transmogrification system is a little more robust and a lot easier for players to maintain, especially in terms of item management.

For reference: unlike cosmetic slots (or even the way transmogrification works in World of Warcraft), the system in Diablo III doesn't actually require players to keep the "visual" item in order to use its appearance. Which is great when stash space is limited. Instead, you unlock appearances by leveling up the Mystic – or, in the case of Legendary items, by identifying them. Once an appearance is unlocked, it'll be available across all Normal characters or all Hardcore characters on your account, depending on which game mode you're playing. Any appearance you unlock will then be stored in the transmogrification UI.

(For people who may have missed it, here’s a big write up by Vaeflare on the Mystic that goes over a lot of its functionality: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11337855/)

10/29/2013 04:30 PMPosted by End
Jennifer poops at the parties?

It's easier than shooting some fish in a barrel. (Where do you get a barrel these days, anyway?)
Edited by Lylirra on 10/29/2013 4:52 PM PDT
The majority of design decisions aren't really binary like that (i.e. you get this OR that), and we've absolutely no plans to remove transmogrification at this point given the positive feedback it's received thus far.

Even so, let's entertain the discussion. What kind of features would you like to see in Reaper of Souls instead of or in addition to transmogrification? And why?

thank you for responding to my post!
to answer your question honestly...i would like to see a new iteration on skill trees....

at different times i'm sure one or more people on the dev team have voiced an idea that
he or she had about a new iteration on skill trees.

while i know its a longshot at best...i would like to hear about such ideas

while diablo 2's skill system is certainly outdated i have to believe that after 10+ years of work you guys have had ideas on how to not only continue that formula but also improve it.

i would very much like to see what they have come up with

the current system simply doesn't lend itself to a "long term project" style of gameplay
which is one of the reasons d2 was so popular for so long
Well, my female barb character sports two legendary sets, and I fully expect bonus chance to Charm in expansion or GTFO.

:)
Community Manager
The legitimate pve you said we would have at release.
The build and item diversity you said we would have at release. And In loot 1.04.

Better replayability, greater build diversity and balance, and a (more) meaningful item hunt are all core pillars for both the expansion and pre-expansion patch. Those three goals are guiding nearly every decision and change we're making, which includes but is certainly not limited to: smart drops, enchanting, Paragon improvements, loot runs, and the yet-to-be-officially-announced Adventure Mode (which you'll hear more about at BlizzCon).

There's also changes like:

• Reducing the number of items that drop, but improving their overall quality

• Narrowing stat ranges on items (example: instead of rolling 1-100 an item might now roll 80-100)

• Breaking item stats into two separate categories -- Primary (stats that directly improve your character's power) and Secondary (stats that provide utility) -- that can roll independently of one another to help avoid scenarios where a stat like Pick-Up Radius is having to compete with stats like Attack Speed or +%damage

• Creating Legendary powers that are aimed at not only being mathematically powerful, but also have the opportunity to spawn meaningful and potentially interesting build choices

• Plus a boatload of skill tuning that's still very much in-progress (see recent datamining)

In the end, transmogrification is simply one small part of a much larger picture. We hope you'll enjoy the result. :)

10/29/2013 03:38 PMPosted by ellisD
The pvp you said we would have at release.

As for PvP, that's a fair request, but not one we have any immediate plans to address. Right now, our priority is focused on addressing issues with core gameplay and building upon the PvE experience. We really want to nail that first.
Edited by Lylirra on 10/29/2013 5:18 PM PDT
NOT this:

- Let’s arbitrarily add a World of Warcraft feature to Diablo III > Does it make sense to add this feature or solve any issues? > lol, no > Find excuses to add it anyway.

You're awesome!

you unlock appearances by leveling up the Mystic – or, in the case of Legendary items, by identifying them.

Okay, so stupid question: Will I have access to the appearances of the identified legends I already have, or will I have to find/craft new ones to gains those appearances?
does anyone really care how pretty my character looks?
this seems like little girls playing doll dressup

Don't you wanna change your character's look?

DON'T DO IT!

Problem solved! Thanks! ^^
A lot of mmorpgs have that kind of feature, no one complained about it and everyone welcomed it, now D3 is going to have that option and we have naysayers?

Who in the world cannot see the benefit of making your character look cool without being an interferance with your dps? I, for one, don't like seeing my barbarian running around with legendary blue boots and red pants, thank you very much.
Community Manager
10/29/2013 05:19 PMPosted by Dragonseye
Okay, so stupid question: Will I have access to the appearances of the identified legends I already have, or will I have to find/craft new ones to gains those appearances?

Not stupid at all.

Legacy Legendaries that are already identified will definitely not unlock an appearance. We're still determining whether or not unidentified legacy Legendaries will work the same way/have the same restriction. Once that decision is made, we'll be sure to let everyone know. I'd definitely recommend checking out Vaeflare's blog in the meantime; lots of great details in there!

FYI: legacy (in this case) = items that drop before the pre-expansion patch goes live.
A lot of mmorpgs have that kind of feature, no one complained about it and everyone welcomed it, now D3 is going to have that option and we have naysayers?

Who in the world cannot see the benefit of making your character look cool without being an interferance with your dps? I, for one, don't like seeing my barbarian running around with legendary blue boots and red pants, thank you very much.

Agree, too many mempos, too many innas. I welcome the many many items that look cool but are not the best item in the game.
I can't wait to customize my character's appearance. Right now, a lot of my gear is invisible because Inna's baby blue pants are... Also, it will be great to be able to wear the DH's iconic hood finally.

Honestly, there are a lot item designs that we never see because everyone is wearing the same stuff.
Yes because everyone loves showing off their epiiccccc depth diggers.
I wanna look like a bigger badass.
Speaking of which, why doesn't the demon hunter have a helm like the concept art final stage? With the horns and stuff. You guys basically made the ultimate set, and then didn't use it.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]