Diablo® III

Magic find nerf...

So.. If it returns to diminishing returns like in Diablo 2, anyone else still plan on maxing MF for leg/sets?

I think I still will! Heh
Reply Quote
Well, the new tooltip for magicfind makes it abundantly clear that it has a greatly reduced effect on legendary items.

so there's that.
Reply Quote
I hope they don't nerf mf too much until no one will care about at it. Blizzard should find a middle ground on mf, that people don't think its a must, but at the same time it should not be a total junk stat as well.
Reply Quote
It would really depend on the items that I would be able to find. If it's considerably better to reroll a primary stat, then I'll reroll that. If the secondary is better to reroll taking the overall item into consideration, then I'd reroll that. If I found an item with MF present, I'd probably keep MF and reroll the primary.

I'd probably get a separate MF set.

While it was erroneously stated in BlizzCon something to the effect that we no longer have to lose an important affix to gain MF, which actually is what's happening with the implementation of this restricting Primary/Secondary affix system in place.

But if we consider after the fact that this system is in place, then we indeed don't lose an important stat anymore to gain MF.

Here's a list of many of the affixes that can roll on the secondary affix slot, of which there are believed to be 1-3 on an item. With 4 primary affixes perhaps being the maximum on any given item with a total of 6 affixes on items.

Armor:

All single resistances
Pickup radius
Thorns
Life on kill
Movement Speed
Gold Find
Magic Find
+XP
Max mana

Weapon:

Socket
Reply Quote
I don't pay too much attention on my MF value right now, so I think it is good news to me?
Reply Quote
This was the MF scaling in D2.. So if MF cap in d3 is 300...

Magic Find % Unique MF% Real % gained
0 0 1.0 --
50 41 1.41 41.0
100 71 1.71 21.28
150 93 1.93 12.87
200 111 2.11 9.33
250 125 2.25 6.64
300 136 2.36 4.89
350 145 2.45 3.81
400 153 2.53 3.27
450 160 2.60 2.77

So having 300% MF total = 300% MF for blues, 136% for legendaries... Which just means we still need to stack MF?
Reply Quote
MF is always top priority which is why I hate the stat. If it's uncapped I'll ultimately feel forced look for it on all 13 items.
Reply Quote
Only 10% of your MF will be applied to legendaries and it will be removed from paragon, if I got it right.

They increased the legendaries drop rate and nerfed MF % on legendaries in order to people not fell forced to into look for it on gear.

If it was on the tab, I would happly trade it for resource regen or mov speed in a heartbeat (since we won't have AH lvl 70 lacunis or Inna's at hand)

Take a look at this interview on incgamers, lots of new info here, including mf on legendaries nerf (two words: crushing blow):

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/the-diablo-3-podcast-121-blizzcon-2013-reaper-of-souls-interview-jason-regier-and-travis-day/
Reply Quote
11/14/2013 05:18 AMPosted by dominatus
It would really depend on the items that I would be able to find. If it's considerably better to reroll a primary stat, then I'll reroll that. If the secondary is better to reroll taking the overall item into consideration, then I'd reroll that. If I found an item with MF present, I'd probably keep MF and reroll the primary.

ATM, you can reroll 1 of each.
Reply Quote
not sure but if more mf drops higher quality more often then even with diminisheing returns it doesn't matter because no alternative stat exists so on its own terms higher magic find still drops more legendaries.

seems overly complex why not just set drop rates to mobs and not worry about character stats at all, I see MF as like asking us to wear a stat to increase monster density
Reply Quote
So even at 10%, "wasting" 9 affix slots + paragon to get 30%-50% more legendaries may still be worth it... If it doesn't affect your killing speed too much (of you are in a group as a support ^_^)
Reply Quote
People will just gear swap with macros again.

Since LS is being removed in favor of LoH, 2-handed weapons will be junky again.

Basically a lot of the problems from release are resurfacing.
Reply Quote
Only 10% of your MF will be applied to legendaries and it will be removed from paragon, if I got it right.

They increased the legendaries drop rate and nerfed MF % on legendaries in order to people not fell forced to into look for it on gear.

If it was on the tab, I would happly trade it for resource regen or mov speed in a heartbeat (since we won't have AH lvl 70 lacunis or Inna's at hand)

Take a look at this interview on incgamers, lots of new info here, including mf on legendaries nerf (two words: crushing blow):

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/the-diablo-3-podcast-121-blizzcon-2013-reaper-of-souls-interview-jason-regier-and-travis-day/

I think they meant removed from MF/GF being a reward from the paragon levels like we do now not that they had removed it from the adventure tab of 2.0 so no change from the removal we knew about
Reply Quote
11/14/2013 08:24 AMPosted by HainKurt
shuffling the core mechanics, and expecting one day everybody will be happy about the result...

See, this is actually one of the reasons why I admire Blizzard. They have the balls to identify what is really broken and fix that.

Just because its not a popular decision doesn't mean its not the right decision. Just because they aren't always correct doesn't mean they should stop trying.
Reply Quote
I'm with Davlok on this one.

The more they nerf MF on gear, the more MF pieces and affix slots we have to waste to reach the cap for it.

Unless you're going to be building a Thorns based dps character, or your character needs PUR to do dps, no amount of MF affixes on armor is going to be lowering your dps output. What it does instead is it lowers your ehp, making it harder to do higher difficulty modes without dying. That could in theory slow things down a little if it causes you to die a lot.

We had a perfectly fine solution in place with paragon levels providing MF that also eliminated the need for gear swapping, and it does seem like some of the old, already fixed problems are making their way back in.
Reply Quote
So.. If it returns to diminishing returns like in Diablo 2, anyone else still plan on maxing MF for leg/sets?

I think I still will! Heh

MF as currently instituted in D3 is a fail...why b/c why do I need to stack any MF currently at all? If you want MF have an MP10 capable character and just play in a group of 4. That right there is more efficient for finding loot than going around with a decked out MF character sacrificing DPS/MP level just to stack MF...not worth it.

MF is for suckers...
Reply Quote
11/14/2013 09:56 AMPosted by Supes
MF as currently instituted in D3 is a fail..

As i understand it, it was a fail in d2 as well. It only really existed in proper quantities on already gg items, so it was never a trade off.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
All drop rates will be changing come the expansion anyway. Really, all this Magic Find change does is make sure there isn't such a large gap in rewards like we currently see when comparing a low Paragon character to a maxed Paragon level character.

Magic Find should still be valuable to highly geared players when they don't need to focus on any other stats, and players with a low level of gear shouldn't feel they need to sacrifice other, much needed stats, in order to see legendary items drop.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]