Diablo® III

"It was the wrong choice to play offline in D2"

13 Tauren Druid
The problem I have with always online is:

1) People who are in the service overseas that don't have an internet connection or one that isn't really viable.

2) People in rural areas where high speed internet is simply not available or places like hotels and during flights

As for piracy, you're never going to stop it. Build a big mousetrap and someone will build a faster mouse.

And finally, lag is still an issue for many players. People who die in HC do so because of internet connection issues, not because of lack of skill. That and rubberbanding. Yes we are living in the 21st century, but that doesn't mean we have Star Trek quality data transmitting over worlds in an instant. My office building in NYC still have 19th century copper wire underneath the infrastructure and so as a result our internet inside our cubicles is super slow. In 1999 cable/DSL internet was just starting to hit the mainstream market, but people still were using dial-up. Can you imagine if D2 was online only??? Anyone remember Fantasy Star Online for the Sega Dreamcast? My friend was one of the first to buy this MMORPG for a console that had a 56K modem in the back. Yet when he played the game the lag was unbearable.

The first night I downloaded D3 I couldn't play because the servers were fried. If this were an MMO I would have least understood. After all, Blizzard had the same problem in Nov of 2004 when WoW went live.

But this game wasn't designed to be a MMO, and yet it almost feels like it without the trinity system and raids.
Edited by Plutarch#1568 on 11/13/2013 6:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
Prime example of just how inept the dev team was and still is. Nice one, Martens. lol
Reply Quote
Great post.

Thanks for sharing.

I STILL play d2 offline once in a while and now the online community is gone. Blizzard, only the OFFLINE mode lives on in the end.
Reply Quote
13 Tauren Druid
And another thing about that article I disagreed with is the notion that the playerbase was divided because one friend had a b.net character and another friend only had an offline character. This I find ridiculous. No one ever felt "divided" because some played online and others didn't. That's why open b.net option was made; for online and offline characters to join up. And yes that opened the door to map hacks and dupes. Which is why for offline mode characters are stored on the client's hard drive and can NEVER be used online.
Reply Quote
Yeah... I spent about 99% of my time in D2 playing solo. I've spent about 95% of my time in D3 playing solo. Apparently I was having a lot less fun than I thought. Thanks, disingenuous Bli$$ard rep, for telling me that I wasn't having fun!

My net is fine and I don't even mind the always online thing, but the constant and obvious lies are really bothering me. If they would just come out and say that it's DRM I would be fine with that answer, but in the meantime it's hearing all this silliness about how apparently we weren't having fun until they told us how to have fun.
Reply Quote
This totally reminds me of that comment that Xbox guy made about people with no internet connections who wouldn't be able to play on the new Xbox One, something like "Well if people don't have an internet connection, we have a great alternative for them, it's called the Xbox 360!"
Edited by Rooks#1390 on 11/13/2013 6:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
In Diablo 1, I played 100% of the time offline.
In Diablo 2, I played 75% of the time offline.
In Diablo 3, I played maybe 3 or 4 times online.

Who is that jerk to tell me how to enjoy my game?
Reply Quote
I am read a few of these posts and can not help but feel that a lot of people see this game and franchise as theirs, rather than Blizzards. I understand the passion that people have that a game they love has not gone down the path that they desire. But the people that post in here are not the normal player of D3. Blizzard has sold 14m copies of D3 and I bet 90% of those players have not been to these forums. For those players some decisions make more sense than for the people here.

Always online is easier for casual players, full stop. No hacking, no online/offline modes, portable characters, it is just easier. Hell I have put 100s of hours into this game, have 200+ latency on a good day and always online is easier for me too. It was hilarious to read the posts bemoaning offline mode on the consoles.

I also work for a development house (not in gaming) and I always hear customers ask why decisions have been made that are not right for them. Out software, like Blizzards, is made with the feature set that will be best for the greatest number of customers, not just the most passionate or vocal. That is just the way it is, and the way that has been described by this Blizzard rep.
Reply Quote
Always online is not easier for casual players. At all.
Reply Quote
11/13/2013 06:34 PMPosted by Callofnature
Anyone remember Fantasy Star Online for the Sega Dreamcast? My friend was one of the first to buy this MMORPG for a console that had a 56K modem in the back. Yet when he played the game the lag was unbearable.

I had the gamecube version. I still want a Sealed J Sword and a Heaven's Punisher. Lavis Cannon would be sweet too.

11/13/2013 07:50 PMPosted by Oakover
I am read a few of these posts and can not help but feel that a lot of people see this game and franchise as theirs, rather than Blizzards.

We pay them. Literally, our purchasing their games puts food on their table. Who has IP rights is relevant only in civil cases when companies are trying to "borrow" IP from each other, or piracy issues. This isn't about who owns Diablo, it's about Blizzard treating the people who pay them like they are idiots. To tell people who have been using your product for 10 YEARS they've been doing it wrong! There's no words.

What the hell were they thinking?
Reply Quote
11/13/2013 08:00 PMPosted by Logos
We pay them. Literally, our purchasing their games puts food on their table. Who has IP rights is relevant only in civil cases when companies are trying to "borrow" IP from each other, or piracy issues. This isn't about who owns Diablo, it's about Blizzard treating the people who pay them like they are idiots. To tell people who have been using your product for 10 YEARS they've been doing it wrong! There's no words.

I can think of a few words... they just wouldn't get past the forum's censor/filter.

11/13/2013 08:00 PMPosted by Logos
What the hell were they thinking?

Maybe that they've gotten away with treating their customers like crap for a long time, and can continue to do so with impunity?
Reply Quote
11/13/2013 08:07 PMPosted by Waitubold
Maybe that they've gotten away with treating their customers like crap for a long time, and can continue to do so with impunity?

Simple than that. They wanted to fill their pockets with gold, that is all.
Reply Quote
Remember to vote with your wallet, folks. Anyone considering buying RoS should wait at least a month after release to get more accurate reviews instead of impulse buying based on hype that may not even come to fruition (Arena PvP, anyone? Vanilla D3 mystic?)
Reply Quote

That was the wrong choice to allow people to play offline, and we still stand by that. And we think Internet access is widespread. If someone has no Internet access, then yeah, Diablo III is not the game for them.

Yes internet access is widespread. But not everybody in this world lives within 1,000 miles of one of your few and far between servers and has access to sub 300 millisecond pings.

Offline mode is/was for those who live in other countries where blizzard refuses to place servers.

Yes it's fun to play with other people but not on the end of a 2,000 mile length of cable. Then playing single player on your own computer or locally via lan or PnP becomes your best choice.

This world is a lot bigger than a mere three servers can cater for.
Reply Quote
What a moron. In D2 there was a very large offline community that had a lot of fun making up contests/challenges to play the game through with. I played offline mode for a while and truly enjoyed the offline community.

This idiot doesn't understand Diablo at all and should be fired on the spot.. period!
Edited by RoadRatt#1309 on 11/13/2013 10:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Blizzard reminds me of Apple. They both pretend to know what's best for their customer.

"Hey, you don't really want offline mode, it'll just mess up your game"

"Hey, I don't really want offl....wait...what? !@#$ YOU, yes I do!"
Reply Quote
It seems history does repeat itself.

1a. PVP delayed, delayed, delayed, scraped?
1b. Ladder for ROS, delayed ......
1c. Trials for ROS, delayed ......

2a. Numerous Jay Wilson comments questioning our memories of the D2 playing experience
2b. Comments from this hack.

The list could go on.

I was initially excited for ROS, thinking that it was making a large step forward based on Bliz posts and leaked data. Then came BOA, delayed ladders, etc, etc. Now I can see, nothing has really changed and it is unlikely to.

Stop the merry go round. I'm getting off.

Until Bliz stops making silly decisions and telling me what is fun or how I misremember my D2 experience. No expansions for me.

Oh and as much as I crave information from Bliz employees. Some of them really shouldn't be allowed to open their mouths in public.
Reply Quote
I totally don't understand this kind of statement/mindset. It is clear that Blizzard does not have any understanding of demographic's outside of their own american suburbs, which is a shame, as 96% of the world's population don't live in american suburbs. I won't be buying RoS now - I won't be supporting a company that makes such ridiculous statements.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]