Diablo® III

"It was the wrong choice to play offline in D2"

Here's the thing I took away:

If I played offline, and wanted to play with a friend, I had to create a whole new character. It didn't matter if I was 99 offline. Going online meant starting that grind all over again. It didn't make me mad, but it did annoy me a little. That and I was a bit of a purest - I didn't hack my way through D2(like I did in D1).

Frankly, I don't mind the online requirement. It allows them to update that much quicker. It allows me to take the character I've been playing for hours upon hours alone, and help my wife level her character. It allows me to choose, alone or with others, without leaving a game, or needing to switch to a new character.

I really don't get the hostility to any of this. If you don't like it, don't play. Pure and simple. So many other games on PC require online, yet this is the one every one is complaining about.

This.

It's funny how people say things like "blizzard hates their playerbase" when their playerbase are the ones who act like arrogant morons. Diablo 3 is not Diablo 2 and never will be. It has different goals and ideals that it wants to accomplish. Thankfully, they are not a complacent company who carbon copies their games and puts them out under a different title coughValvecough. I guarantee people will whine when the auction house is gone because they didn't realize they were complaining about the wrong things. Diablo players just love to whine for some reason.

This is an online game made to have a community. Offline mode would destroy the almost non-existing community it already has. Sure it sucks sometimes I can't play unless I have a connection but I rather that then my character/gear being worthless because people could easily hack or mod their character to be the same.
Reply Quote
wow Kevin is a true corporate idiot. I wouldn't mind having ti play online if your servers weren't garbage and the game wasn't always lagged. Forcing players to play online on crappy lagged servers is real an !@#$%^- thing to do and just makes blizzard look even worse. If EA got the most hated company in gaming last year...blizzard deserves it this year for idiots like this doing pointless interviews. That dumbass needs to be fired, I for one as a Diablo player and blizzard customer feel sickened by that poor excuse of a lead for Diablo III. Remember Diablo 1 if someone used trainers or hacked weapons they only worked offline as soon as someone joined a multiplayer game with the character the hacked items/stats wouldn't work. Why not follow the Diablo 1 way that was 96 and you idiots can't figure it out now and use the stupid "In D2 you can't bring offline toons online" so it's gonna be online always even though we *!@#$%^s at blizzard will change you 60 extra dollars for an offline mode on xbox. In diablo 1 you could do it and it was awesome, but now you can't? Someone is full of dung and its kevin Martens.
Reply Quote
11/13/2013 04:58 PMPosted by Sylvax
I really don't get the hostility to any of this. If you don't like it, don't play. Pure and simple. So many other games on PC require online, yet this is the one every one is complaining about.

Sounds good to me. I won't be.

As for other games requiring online, I do not play any of them. I only got this because it was Diablo.

Correction, because it was called Diablo.
Reply Quote
This guy is an idiot and should be fired on the spot.

D2 had a very respectable offline player community that played and traded together. They also had a big community built around unusual competitions that made playing offlline in D2 a unique experience that will never be equaled in D3... Ever! =P
Reply Quote
I can see why there is no offline mode but that was handled really bad especially taking the old Jay Wilson stance of defining what we remember and what was fun.
Reply Quote
playing with offline characters is way better in d2. No bot spam, no latency issues, cool mods to mess around with, etc. I spent the vast majority of my time playing d2 over lan and open battlenet. D3 should really have an offline mode just have some warning when you make an offline character that they cannot play over secure battlenet.
Reply Quote
"F*ck that loser" :D
Reply Quote
Didn't some guy from microsoft recently get in trouble for spewing crap like this about always online mode. I remember microsoft making a formal apology for one of their staff members insulting people in a similar fashion.

11/13/2013 04:36 PMPosted by Callofnature
I can see how people would think otherwise, but the auction house was a salve we came up with in the last few months of the project. It was a six-year project.

And I just wanted to highlight this part of the story. It is very obvious that they came up with a lot of things in the "last few months of the project." He really is admitting their incompetence and lack of foresight when it comes to this game.
Reply Quote
Sounds good to me. I won't be.

As for other games requiring online, I do not play any of them. I only got this because it was Diablo.

Correction, because it was called Diablo.

Ha, funny story. I never bought Command and Conquer 4 because of the always online requirement. Have to say, I think I really dodged a bullet there. Like you, I only bought Diablo with the always online because I assumed that Blizzard would do a good job of it....
Reply Quote
if players want offline mode, they should add it. no more crap pr bull!@#$.

afterall, they're designing this game for... players?
Edited by ariasz#2964 on 11/14/2013 2:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
Here's the thing I took away:

If I played offline, and wanted to play with a friend, I had to create a whole new character. It didn't matter if I was 99 offline. Going online meant starting that grind all over again. It didn't make me mad, but it did annoy me a little. That and I was a bit of a purest - I didn't hack my way through D2(like I did in D1).

Frankly, I don't mind the online requirement. It allows them to update that much quicker. It allows me to take the character I've been playing for hours upon hours alone, and help my wife level her character. It allows me to choose, alone or with others, without leaving a game, or needing to switch to a new character.

This.

It's funny how people say things like "blizzard hates their playerbase" when their playerbase are the ones who act like arrogant morons. Diablo 3 is not Diablo 2 and never will be. It has different goals and ideals that it wants to accomplish. Thankfully, they are not a complacent company who carbon copies their games and puts them out under a different title coughValvecough. I guarantee people will whine when the auction house is gone because they didn't realize they were complaining about the wrong things. Diablo players just love to whine for some reason.

This is an online game made to have a community. Offline mode would destroy the almost non-existing community it already has. Sure it sucks sometimes I can't play unless I have a connection but I rather that then my character/gear being worthless because people could easily hack or mod their character to be the same.
And ignoring the established player base Blizzard gained with the the success of Diablo 2 is not arrogant?

The logic is strong with this one.
Edited by Bluddflagg#6648 on 11/14/2013 2:33 AM PST
Reply Quote

That was the wrong choice to allow people to play offline, and we still stand by that. And we think Internet access is widespread. If someone has no Internet access, then yeah, Diablo III is not the game for them.

Yes internet access is widespread. But not everybody in this world lives within 1,000 miles of one of your few and far between servers and has access to sub 300 millisecond pings.

Offline mode is/was for those who live in other countries where blizzard refuses to place servers.

Yes it's fun to play with other people but not on the end of a 2,000 mile length of cable. Then playing single player on your own computer or locally via lan or PnP becomes your best choice.

This world is a lot bigger than a mere three servers can cater for.

And this is what i find most annoying, that Blizzard are one of the last companies to support outside the 3 main server areas, even free to play games have Australian servers ffs, what the hell are Blizzard waiting for? They make everything online only, make a game that sucks with high latency then force it onto a chunk of there customers. they then have the audacity to charge us more for D3 in Oceania region, which is a downright scam.
Reply Quote

I've seen this kind of thing mentioned a few times here and I'd like to clear this misinformation up. Make it so that Offline Mode characters can not be transferred to the Online game servers, just like how it worked in Diablo 2.

Now in order for someone to copy your character in an Online mode they would need to do exactly what you've done without cheats as their is no way to access the online copy of your save game for hex editing/cheating.

People get to play offline/LAN (yay), people get to play online (yay) and people get to play their way (also yay).
Edited by SirSteel#1419 on 11/14/2013 4:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
I am wondering if that person even played D2! I never got mad having an offline and an online char It was like having two games! One thing I did like is your offline char could be hacked to hell and this meant I got to play with equipment and skills that I would never have had the opportunity to do. In D3 I will most probably never ever get the opportunity to play an absolute bad !@# barb!

This to me was a very fun factor of the game, downloading a fully kitted char and just running around blasting stuff. Blizzard has robbed me of that in D3.
Reply Quote
I am wondering if that person even played D2! I never got mad having an offline and an online char It was like having two games! One thing I did like is your offline char could be hacked to hell and this meant I got to play with equipment and skills that I would never have had the opportunity to do. In D3 I will most probably never ever get the opportunity to play an absolute bad !@# barb!

This to me was a very fun factor of the game, downloading a fully kitted char and just running around blasting stuff. Blizzard has robbed me of that in D3.

And you weren't able to take your hacked characters online right? Reinforcing the fact that offline causes no, to extremely minimal harm to the online modes.
Edited by SirSteel#1419 on 11/14/2013 5:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
It's absolutely clear that "always online" paranoia was built upon the fear of piracy, yet there's not a single word about this in the whole interview.
Reply Quote
What Mr Martens said may have been true for a few people, but making sweeping generalizations like that is !@#$ing ridiculous.
Reply Quote
11/14/2013 01:15 AMPosted by DrK
I only bought Diablo with the always online because I assumed that Blizzard would do a good job of it....

I didn't just assume that the 800 pound gorilla of online gaming would do a good job of D3's online component. They specifically promised that the game's always-online DRM wouldn't be a problem for us. They still haven't kept that promise.
Reply Quote
if players want offline mode, they should add it. no more crap pr bull!@#$.

afterall, they're designing this game for... players?

Apparently not...
Reply Quote
11/14/2013 03:57 AMPosted by Decapitator
People get to play offline/LAN (yay), people get to play online (yay) and people get to play their way (also yay).

It's the Blizzard way: Win + win + win = not happening.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]