Diablo® III

Skill trees would make RoS so much better!

I haven't played D3 seriously since last year, been enjoying PoE a lot more. It's good to see that Blizzard finally listened and is adding in a lot of features and removing some that should have never been in. But I still can't get excited for D3 so long as we can freely choose and change our skills whenever we want. The ability system gives no permanence to characters and it makes the grinding game so boring after hitting 60.

In D2 I had multiple characters for each class. You claim that skill trees were arbitrary and I won't argue that they weren't but I enjoyed building my skills and leveling up synergies to make an awesome Blizzsorc, Javazon, or Hammerdin. When I felt satisfied playing those characters I would level a Lightning sorc or Bowzon.

Currently there is no reason to have multiple characters besides one per class. The current ability system is just as arbitrary. I just go to blizzard.somepage.com and see what the best build, spend five seconds in town swapping my abilities, boom done. A patch comes out that nerfs some abilities and buffing others, just swap some spells and you're just like every other player. People argue that you need gear to make a build work but that isn't any different than D2.

For me personally, I can't get excited for RoS so long as this "builds for dummies" system remains in the game. I want to like Diablo again, I like Diablo's world and mythos far more than PoE's but PoE's skill system has so much more depth and complexity than what Diablo can offer.

Blizzard, please get a skill system into Diablo like the good ol' days.
Edited by DeeBeeP#1817 on 11/17/2013 11:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/17/2013 11:11 PMPosted by DeeBeeP
I just go to blizzard.somepage.com and see what the best build, spend five seconds in town swapping my abilities, boom done. A patch comes out that nerfs some abilities and buffing others, just swap some spells and you're just like every other player.

As opposed to going to some webpage and seeing what the best build is, spend your skill points exactly as it says to, and boom, done, until a patch breaks your build and you're forced to dump a character you've invested a lot of time in because you can't respec?

There's no more depth in a tree system than there is in the current one. There's just less flexibility. D2's skill system was one of my least favorite parts of the game, and I'm far, far happier with D3's.
Reply Quote
11/17/2013 11:36 PMPosted by WDrSharkon
I just go to blizzard.somepage.com and see what the best build, spend five seconds in town swapping my abilities, boom done. A patch comes out that nerfs some abilities and buffing others, just swap some spells and you're just like every other player.

As opposed to going to some webpage and seeing what the best build is, spend your skill points exactly as it says to, and boom, done, until a patch breaks your build and you're forced to dump a character you've invested a lot of time in because you can't respec?

There's no more depth in a tree system than there is in the current one. There's just less flexibility. D2's skill system was one of my least favorite parts of the game, and I'm far, far happier with D3's.

^This
Reply Quote
11/17/2013 11:11 PMPosted by DeeBeeP
But I still can't get excited for D3 so long as we can freely choose and change our skills whenever we want.

You see this as a mistake, I see this as a feature. I honestly can't fathom how you can argue for more restrictions and less choice.

If it makes you feel any better, when RoS hits with Legendaries that have greater impact on skills you can have as many of each class, each equipped with different Legendaries.
Edited by Aristobulous#1963 on 11/18/2013 1:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9628532874#1

How about a passive loot talent skill tree?
Since we will have BOA and players want a skilltree and runeskillsystem works just fine combined with the new leg/sets which will provide a sort of passive skilltrees for actual skills.

I really would like to choose what i am playing for.
No idea why noone wants to discuss the most important part in DIablo.... to find items u would like to just identifiy and put it on your char.
Reply Quote
Talent trees are so freakin over used.
So many people are obsessed with the idea.
I'm glad they decided to do something different.
Reply Quote
We don't need skill trees to add depth to this game. Having more skills available for use would serve that purpose just fine. This game would be far more enjoyable if balance was created through resource management rather than limiting skill availability.

Unfortunately, since this game is also developed with consoles in mind, we will never see more active skills available for use. We get a 4th passive in Reaper of Souls. Wow. Yay.
Reply Quote
There's no more depth in a tree system than there is in the current one. There's just less flexibility. D2's skill system was one of my least favourite parts of the game, and I'm far, far happier with D3's.

I also prefer the simpler less restricting format of D3 over D2.
Reply Quote
Milions of ppl who left this game support OP , but those couple of thousands remain here are those who like the way it is, ofc they like it and they play it. POE did fantastic job , and you can also respec passives in POE . And in diablo2 you could respec skills also, but those who dont know this never played diablo2, and that is reason they like this system more.

BobwitchDR is right..we dont need talent tree,all that would make me happy is skill levels (1-20) ,same what we had in d2.
Reply Quote
Skill trees just force you to decide which skills you want to use before even using them.
Just look at PoE, 95+% (maybe even 99+%) of the people just follow some guides because they want to play a game instead of planning for hours how they'll play the game without knowing what skills there are in the game.
Reply Quote
Even tho they are folloving the guides to do so ,you cant change the fact that more ppl are playing POE then diablo ,and more will ever play(maybe till the ROS) cause they like the way skill system is.
Edited by Atsok#2156 on 11/18/2013 9:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
Milions of ppl who left this game support OP , but those couple of thousands remain here are those who like the way it is, ofc they like it and they play it. POE did fantastic job , and you can also respec passives in POE . And in diablo2 you could respec skills also, but those who dont know this never played diablo2, and that is reason they like this system more.

BobwitchDR is right..we dont need talent tree,all that would make me happy is skill levels (1-20) ,same what we had in d2.

BOOM

Its ok dude let them keep thinking they know what they are talking about, I am just gonna keep laughing at em
Edited by MadaraUchiha#1609 on 11/18/2013 9:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
this isnt PoE fyi. nor do we want it to be. lol kids these days.
Reply Quote

BOOM

Its ok dude let them keep thinking they know what they are talking about, I am just gonna keep laughing at em

I am pretty sure most people know about the Den of Evil quest and the respec token.

Problem with Den of Evil is that its limited. And you can only get the respec token by farming bosses in Hell, in other words its extremely lategame and time consuming. For the rest of the game you are locked into a specific build.

Compare this with D3, where I can change builds or try new combinations whenever I want. I really don't understand why one would prefer to be restricted and inflexible.
Reply Quote
Most of you don't understand the point of having a skill tree. OBVIOUSLY you're right when saying that you can go online and look up a build, follow it, etc. etc. While this does bother some people, it really did serve an extremely strong purpose, which happens to be customization. The term is very construed, but when you look at another barbarian with your barbarian, how does it feel knowing that they are essentially the same exact barbarian as you? Knowing that you are absolutely identical (minus the gear). The absence of a skill tree and stat allocation made this game a 100% gear check, which is a major turn off to at least a large portion of D3 players.
Reply Quote
Do you not feel that the new paragon system and build changing legendaries (which will take more effort to acquire) adequately serve this need?

There's no doubt that come ROS players will be much more customized in D3 then now. So they are definitely headed in the direction you want which I assume you guys like.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]