Diablo® III

I honestly don't understand BoA

So it seems there is a huge split in the community between those who support BoA, and those who do not.

I understand the concept behind BoA- Blizzard wants us to find the best stuff.

What I don't understand is why making BoA a thing is necessary.

With the removal of the auction house, drop rates are going to increase, and smart drops are going to increase the quality of these items. This is great news, and I like the idea of allowing players to find their own gear.

However, I fail to see the need to make some of the best items BoA, The argument that BoA is so people can find items themselves seems fundamentally flawed, as an increase in drop rates and the addition of smart drops is already enough to promote finding gear for yourself, which is ENTIRELY independent of an item being BoA.

BoA doesn't seem to do anything other than remove the ability to attain the best items via trades, which doesn't quite make sense, because a lack of BoA doesn't prevent people from choosing not to trade and finding items themselves. In reality, BoA just makes it a huge grind to play certain playstyles which may require specific items that one may never find, which makes it somewhat discouraging to play.

I would really like someone to explain to me why BoA is MANDATORY for the game without some generic "trade is for children who want everything now" arguments.
Reply Quote
I'm on the fence over this issue, but I lean towards supporting BOA. People keep saying over and over again that legendary items will be the best items in the game, but I've seen no evidence in support of this. From what I can tell. legendary items in RoS aren't necessarily the best items, but they are the only items that have build changing utility. In other words, they don't necessarily have superior main stats.

With Loot 2.0, rares will be rarer and more powerful on average with a significantly increased chance to roll great stats. And with the mystic, high quality rares will be sought after in trading.
Reply Quote
I'm on the fence over this issue, but I lean towards supporting BOA. People keep saying over and over again that legendary items will be the best items in the game, but I've seen no evidence in support of this. From what I can tell. legendary items in RoS aren't necessarily the best items, but they are the only items that have build changing utility. In other words, they don't necessarily have superior main stats.

With Loot 2.0, rares will be rarer and more powerful on average with a significantly increased chance to roll great stats. And with the mystic, high quality rares will be sought after in trading.

People say this because they kept repeating that they want Legendary items to be much better than rare items. Those new (remade) Legendary items are meant to be BiS.
Reply Quote

People say this because they kept repeating that they want Legendary items to be much better than rare items. Those new (remade) Legendary items are meant to be BiS.

I'd very much like to see confirmation from a blue that legendaries will be, without a doubt, BiS items.
Reply Quote

I'd very much like to see confirmation from a blue that legendaries will be, without a doubt, BiS items.

It's in one of the interview. I'm too lazy to go dig it out.
Reply Quote
It's easily said by saying that I'm too lazy to come up with another concept that will please the D3 community, yet I still get to cash my pay check for doing jack diddly...
Reply Quote
View profile
The idea here is that with drop rates and itemization being improved, top tier gear would become far too easy to acquire through trading, especially given that in the current system once these items have been found they never leave the economy. As things stand now, the game would inevitably eventually reach a point where so many top tier items had been found and entered into the market that they would become virtually worthless, and acquiring some of the best gear in the game would require no more effort than typing out "WTB [______]."

Even if Loot 2.0 weren't increasing drop rates, though, a system like BoA would be necessary to prevent the same eventual over-saturation of top tier gear from happening anyway, just at a later date. BoA's purpose is to remove top tier items from the marketplace in order to preserve their scarcity, and prolong the loot hunt that the entire game is based on.
Reply Quote
Always when trade is involved players will trade.
U dont need to play the game if u can just trade everything u need.

Since we have an ah right now i can explain this a little better...
The items randomness right now is terrible.
Players who trade abuse this. They just buy everything which has a value with a goal to make profit.
This leads to overpriceing. No matter how low or high the demand is.
Professional traders use the tradesystem (no matter if ah or face to face trade or d2jsp.org) to make a need of buying gold becasue there is no way u could farm it on your own (some players are lucky but the most are not and i am not talking about 50/50 or 60/40 its like 5% can afford some really good items and 95% just cant and there is nothing they can do about it).

A tradesystem in any possible way destroys a hack@slay game.
Blizzard understood that and went for BoA.

I played 3700 hours and even multibox this game with 4 accs. I was never able to afford the best items ingame. I didnt itemflip or bought gold.
There is just no way this game could make fun if there exists a trade system.

Before u start talking about how well it worked and works in Diablo2.
Diablo2 is filled with duped highrunes and Bots are running there a LOT.
U cant compare Diablo2 with Diablo3 AT ALL.

Everything in Diablo3 needs to become BoA and the only thing matters should be to have fun playing the game.
Every single hack@slay game without an itemshop needs to go this way.
Either that or back to AH and RMAH system.

Everything else is a waste of players lifetime .D
Reply Quote
The idea here is that with drop rates and itemization being improved, top tier gear would become far too easy to acquire through trading, especially given that in the current system once these items have been found they never leave the economy. As things stand now, the game would inevitably eventually reach a point where so many top tier items had been found and entered into the market that they would become virtually worthless, and acquiring some of the best gear in the game would require no more effort than typing out "WTB [______]."

Even if Loot 2.0 weren't increasing drop rates, though, a system like BoA would be necessary to prevent the same eventual over-saturation of top tier gear from happening anyway, just at a later date. BoA's purpose is to remove top tier items from the marketplace in order to preserve their scarcity, and prolong the loot hunt that the entire game is based on.

the first issue is completly solved with ladder reset
Reply Quote
Always when trade is involved players will trade.
U dont need to play the game if u can just trade everything u need.

Since we have an ah right now i can explain this a little better...
The items randomness right now is terrible.
Players who trade abuse this. They just buy everything which has a value with a goal to make profit.
This leads to overpriceing. No matter how low or high the demand is.
Professional traders use the tradesystem (no matter if ah or face to face trade or d2jsp.org) to make a need of buying gold becasue there is no way u could farm it on your own (some players are lucky but the most are not and i am not talking about 50/50 or 60/40 its like 5% can afford some really good items and 95% just cant and there is nothing they can do about it).

A tradesystem in any possible way destroys a hack@slay game.
Blizzard understood that and went for BoA.

I played 3700 hours and even multibox this game with 4 accs. I was never able to afford the best items ingame. I didnt itemflip or bought gold.
There is just no way this game could make fun if there exists a trade system.

Before u start talking about how well it worked and works in Diablo2.
Diablo2 is filled with duped highrunes and Bots are running there a LOT.
U cant compare Diablo2 with Diablo3 AT ALL.

Everything in Diablo3 needs to become BoA and the only thing matters should be to have fun playing the game.
Every single hack@slay game without an itemshop needs to go this way.
Either that or back to AH and RMAH system.

Everything else is a waste of players lifetime .D

Thanks for a refreshing dose of honesty around here. An economy based on beez was just as stupid as an economy based on multiples of SoJs.
Reply Quote
11/17/2013 09:08 PMPosted by Waryck
However, I fail to see the need to make some of the best items BoA, The argument that BoA is so people can find items themselves seems fundamentally flawed, as an increase in drop rates and the addition of smart drops is already enough to promote finding gear for yourself, which is ENTIRELY independent of an item being BoA.

If you cant trade an item, the drop rate automatically is higher than if you can trade it. Look at D2 without BOA. The drop rates were incredible low, so low that you couldn't get the most top items legally without trading.

11/17/2013 09:08 PMPosted by Waryck
I would really like someone to explain to me why BoA is MANDATORY for the game without some generic "trade is for children who want everything now" arguments.

BOA is there to support legal gameplay. Not sure if you played D2 but there where such sites as J2P, those illegal websites offered every item from D2 for real money. If you wanted such an item, you went there, clicked a few buttons and had the best gear in the game.

This was a big pain in pug games, as those hackers just ran through the whole act´s or didn't play at all, as they were only waiting for level x to equip their hacked loot.

Another problem was that the whole economy was broke. An item that you had to work very hard for like an Occulus, was worth nothing as those hackers on these websites could just buy 10 or 100 of them in a few minutes.

Runes while impossible to find, totally lost their value, but became the trade currency Nr. 1. You now needed a JAH or BER Rune for many items.... Runes that required years of grinding. You can imagine how it must have felt if you wanted an item and were told that you now had to grind for 3 years until you could finally afford it.

BOA is not against trading, it is against hacking and cheating. Do not fall for the false arguments of the illegal website supports in that forum. They lie, they don't care about trading, but about their own wallets.
Reply Quote
the thing to me is, legendaries dont have to be BIS. They can be items that work with a niche build or make a certain build viable that normal items cant. The problem is, say I find this legendary but I dont have a character who could use that. Now I'm stuck with a legendary that is utterly useless to me, but could be very useful to another player who has the item I need for my build. Well tough luck since we wont be able to trade it. Unless I was just playing with that guy and we both happen to drop said legendaries in the same game...
Edited by Soundwave12#1134 on 11/18/2013 4:40 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]