Diablo® III

How does BOA help the me as a player?

I have posted this question in a couple of BOA threads, but never got any response. Have we received any explanation as to how BOA is good for us as players?

I understand that it screws over botters and 3rd party sites, but why should I care? If I have an awesome ring but find a slight upgrade, what if I want to trade the old ring to my friend? What if I find a godly item, and want to try and trade it for an upgrade for my favorite class?

Do we have any reason to believe that BOA is good for us, or is it just bad for them (botters and 3rd party sites)?
Edited by Zero#1222 on 11/16/2013 7:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
my problem is when i find that slight upgrade do i have the confidence to trust blizzard to stick to boa. With their record of changing their mind i probably wouldnt, therefore i would start to mule items i should really be discarding in case they reverse boa in a future patch. Thats quite sad, I will end up with all my mules full of just in case items.
Reply Quote
it's not good for us.

No matter what the drop rates are, BoA simply adds a restriction on top of that. No question
Reply Quote
I have no answer for you friend.

You will have to hope for a answer from a Blue I guess. But that will never come!

If you had asked " what is your favorite Pie" there would be 4-5 Blue's respond, but ya didnt you asked a question that we all want to know the answer to therefore there will be no answer!

Sorry man that's the way Blizzard see's fit to respond to the fan base these days!
Reply Quote
It doesn't really matter to me since I won't be trading. I am however finding just a bit of karmic humor in those that wanted to get rid of the GAH so they could force everyone to trade and now all the good stuff is going to be BOA.

To answer your question though, I don't see BOA helping at all. Unless you are of the school of thought that your character is only 'good' if you slog your way through as a self found player. But that's just one opinion.
Edited by Fenrir#1308 on 11/16/2013 7:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
i'm not a fan of boa myself, but i think we may see it transition to selling accounts. but that causes whole new problems. if say your account is more than just d3. especially since your login is your email, most people didn't join to sell their account. but being that is the only way to sell or 'trade' boa, i can definitely see people buying new accounts to sell. although i could see some people getting some insane amounts of real cash for a fully decked out account. pretty sad how it works. boa only benefits the self founders. everyone else suffersfr their ignorance and cheapness in not putting into the rmah and now after 18 months of kids complaining, we are losing the best method for selling/buying items we cannot find/do not need. THANKS KIDS!
Reply Quote
I have posted this question in a couple of BOA threads, but never got any response. Have we received any explanation as to how BOA is good for us as players?

I understand that it screws over botters and 3rd party sites, but why should I care? If I have an awesome ring but find a slight upgrade, what if I want to trade the old ring to my friend? What if I find a godly item, and want to try and trade it for an upgrade for my favorite class?

Do we have any reason to believe that BOA is good for us, or is it just bad for them (botters and 3rd party sites)?

You hit the nail, BoA is no good for regular player who want to play and have fun with friends (I expect most have more than 3 friends in friends list), BoA means you can not help out a friend and friends cannot help you.
But why do we have friends, friends are those who help each other and share, BoA takes this away.

It's rude way to say, go play yourself and forgot friends, cause it does not matter since you cannot share your loot.

Diablo should be fun and social, BoA is the opposite of this.
Reply Quote
It means you don't need to constantly be scrolling through trade forums or trade spam channels in order to improve your characters. Also countless topics selling 50 unid mempos 150 unid lacunis etc etc are somewhat discouraging to legitamate players.
Reply Quote

3 reasons.

1) Flipping is no longer the optimal way to play the game. Due to the way the AH has imploded, unless you invest real money or beg for gear on the class forums, inflation has become so silly that it's really difficult for newcomers to get into the game.

BoA makes it so that the optimal way to play the game is to...play the game. And inflation will not become an issue.

2) It allows Blizzard to balance drops around the expectation of you finding them, rather than hunting for them on the AH or trading for them.

3) It allows them to balance the game difficulty around the same.

I'm still not 100% sold on BoA but I'm getting there. I definitely do expect that we will see some sort of compromise (BoE is still the most reasonable one I've heard) but if it were to go live...we tried the game with an economy. I'm willing to try it without one.
Reply Quote
Also, to everyone who says 'well people will just sell accounts'.

This will always happen to an extent. It happens now. But selling an account is far, far harder to do than selling gear. It's easier to trace and there are a lot of safeguards that need to be bypassed. You also run the risk of being scammed horribly.
Reply Quote
maybe BoA Items got a massive droprate. than you after 2 month highest equipt on one char. and you can`t find anymore to improve your stats. (You on the same point how now in D3!)
But now in RoS with BoA, on this point, you can`t trade items to get improvements.

and for highest equipt characters are smartdrops useless, so autobrim?

can`t find any good thing in BoA. Gold/Gems and some other items tradable, this not stop this botters and 3rd party site for trade gold/items.
Reply Quote

1) Flipping is no longer the optimal way to play the game. Due to the way the AH has imploded, unless you invest real money or beg for gear on the class forums, inflation has become so silly that it's really difficult for newcomers to get into the game.

BoA makes it so that the optimal way to play the game is to...play the game. And inflation will not become an issue.

2) It allows Blizzard to balance drops around the expectation of you finding them, rather than hunting for them on the AH or trading for them.

I'm still not 100% sold on BoA but I'm getting there. I definitely do expect that we will see some sort of compromise (BoE is still the most reasonable one I've heard) but if it were to go live...we tried the game with an economy. I'm willing to try it without one.

1) if you intend to play self found anyway then this doesn't apply to you. If drops are balanced around you being self found then flippers mean nothing as you have an option to not deal with it. Also, flippers were not the majority of traders. They are getting brought up entirely way too much.

2) they can do this anyway. They can balance the game around you not trading and leave trading in. Keep in mind also the AH is gone.

3) they can do this anyway.
Reply Quote
3 reasons.

This!
Reply Quote

1) if you intend to play self found anyway then this doesn't apply to you. If drops are balanced around you being self found then flippers mean nothing as you have an option to not deal with it. Also, flippers were not the majority of traders. They are getting brought up entirely way too much.

2) they can do this anyway. They can balance the game around you not trading and leave trading in. Keep in mind also the AH is gone.

Reply Quote
3 reasons.

This!

That!
Reply Quote

1) But if they balance around self found with an AH in existence, then anyone who uses the AH is going to be geared to the gills in a few weeks. And then in teamgames and the like, this becomes the expectation.

Power in D3 is always relative and part of the fun is building a powerful character in relation to others. Playing 'optimally' is always going to be a big part of the experience. And if you have free trade, then free trade becomes optimal - especially since we will be getting PvP at some point.

2) Trading is a problem in itself. It does *ugly* things to a community. Remember how predatory the D2 trading community was regarding scamming and doing everything possible to get the advantage of someone?

On the other hand, if they implement a trading lobby...you've really just gone back to an AH with more logistical overhead.

3) If they do this, then anyone who trades/AHs is going to be able to pulverize the game far too easily.

Finally, one thing to keep in mind is that rares are still going to be potentially awesome. Some of the datamined affixes are just off the hook. As things stand, you can still trade and potentially trade amazing gear. The very best or customized pieces will be BoA. This seems like a very fair tradeoff.
Reply Quote
We can contrast it to WoW.

If you look at the players in WoW that actually run the content, how many of them have the gear that folks need? You'll find that most of the players have the gear they need. Not all of them have all of the slots filled, but they all have the gear they need to progress. And they got this gear via gameplay.

Farming gold is not game play. Buying gold is not game play. Game play is going mano-a-mano with the mobs and beating them down.

You can buy transitional gear in WoW, but you can't buy BiS gear. You have to work the content to get it. You can get gear buy some gear in WoW, which means you can farm or buy gold to get gear in WoW, but it won't be BiS, not hardly. It'll be OK gear.

This is what BoA buys us. This capability for the average player to play the game, and gear up. That's how it's supposed to be.

You want quality gear, you'll need to put the hours in to get it. BoA lets Blizzard tune how many hours that will be. The current tuning makes it absurd and unrealistic hours. But now, with the AH, you can level a character up, buy some gold, and have an MP10 geared toon pretty much instantly.
Reply Quote
I believe there will be more emphasis on tradable rare and magic items.

BOA Legendaries would promote a legitimate loot hunt for everyone.

Blizzard is changing the demeanor of DIII, for the better.
Reply Quote

1) But if they balance around self found with an AH in existence, then anyone who uses the AH is going to be geared to the gills in a few weeks. And then in teamgames and the like, this becomes the expectation.

Power in D3 is always relative and part of the fun is building a powerful character in relation to others. Playing 'optimally' is always going to be a big part of the experience. And if you have free trade, then free trade becomes optimal - especially since we will be getting PvP at some point.

2) Trading is a problem in itself. It does *ugly* things to a community. Remember how predatory the D2 trading community was regarding scamming and doing everything possible to get the advantage of someone?

On the other hand, if they implement a trading lobby...you've really just gone back to an AH with more logistical overhead.

3) If they do this, then anyone who trades/AHs is going to be able to pulverize the game far too easily.

Finally, one thing to keep in mind is that rares are still going to be potentially awesome. Some of the datamined affixes are just off the hook. As things stand, you can still trade and potentially trade amazing gear. The very best or customized pieces will be BoA. This seems like a very fair tradeoff.

1) AH's going away. You can't bring it up as a possible problem anymore.

Maybe for you. Don't generalize that being powerful compared to others was the main source of fun. I had fun on making builds that were viable within the other builds I made. I wasn't interested in competing with others because I already knew I wasn't good enough to compete with others.

2) anonymity does ugly things to a community.

You are saying that people griefing others is a good reason to get rid of something, essentially. There are people who grief in multiplayer either by pulling massive mobs or by simply sitting in town leaching quests. Should we get rid of multiplayer?

3) again, AH is gone. I don't know if you are familiar with d2 trading. That thing was sluggish. People will take days to find a specific rare item. Keep in mind also we don't have things like widespread dupes.

Blizzard stated that Legendaries are supposed to be game breaking / build defining. That strikes me as being vastly superior to what rares could ever hope to achieve. Also keep in mind that with the exception of a handful of slots, legs/sets are entirely BiS, and not by a small margin either.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]