Diablo® III

How does BOA help the me as a player?

11/16/2013 07:24 AMPosted by Zero
it screws over botters and 3rd party sites, but why should I care?

Stopped reading right there.

/sigh

We can contrast it to WoW.

If you look at the players in WoW that actually run the content, how many of them have the gear that folks need? You'll find that most of the players have the gear they need. Not all of them have all of the slots filled, but they all have the gear they need to progress. And they got this gear via gameplay.

Farming gold is not game play. Buying gold is not game play. Game play is going mano-a-mano with the mobs and beating them down.

As a 7 year Wow player - I can confirm and approve this post!

+1
Reply Quote
We can contrast it to WoW.

If you look at the players in WoW that actually run the content, how many of them have the gear that folks need? You'll find that most of the players have the gear they need. Not all of them have all of the slots filled, but they all have the gear they need to progress. And they got this gear via gameplay.

Farming gold is not game play. Buying gold is not game play. Game play is going mano-a-mano with the mobs and beating them down.

+1

WoW have fixed loot-tables. You know what the boss is capable of dropping.

If you had that in Diablo, you had to get rid of drop-rates and RNG entirely. Where does that puts us, in terms of being a Diablo game, and not a MMO?
Reply Quote
Posted by ZeroIf I have an awesome ring but find a slight upgrade

BoA actually makes it so that situation that you described actually happens more than once every 1000 hours. You can actually find upgrades because you didn't trade your way into BiS thus eliminating the entire point of the game. Kill monsters, find awesome loot. BoA makes sense. All arguments against it seem to be wholly selfish.

OK this is an acceptable answer, if it really happens. If the loot is going to be so good that not having BOA would lead to quick saturation of 'Godly' items, I could see it being viable. I would hope to continue seeing upgrades after months of play, though.

Someone also mentioned that you could trade with people during the same game. I could see good experiences coming out of that. If someone gets a great drop, but is not really interested in the stats, they might give it to you instead of selling/trading it.

I'm still doubtful, but these are legit reasons why it might be good. I can see the possibility that this design change could lead to a better community. With the current design, you are almost required to be selfish.

Thanks so much for all the responses.
Reply Quote
It doesn't protect you, it punishes you to protect Blizzards coffers this way no one can sell items on D2JSP
Reply Quote
Posted by Zeroit screws over botters and 3rd party sites, but why should I care?

Stopped reading right there./sigh

Please don't stop reading just because of my post. If you drive up to a stop sign, how are you gonna know, man?
Reply Quote

+1

If you had that in Diablo, you had to get rid of drop-rates and RNG entirely. Where does that puts us, in terms of being a Diablo game, and not a MMO?

Believe it or not LOD had fixed loot too. Countess and forge dropped high runes, Nightmare Andariel and Normal Diablo for sojs, etc.

I know you're uninformed, but try not spew this drivel.

It doesn't protect you, it punishes you to protect Blizzards coffers this way no one can sell items on D2JSP

Subjective, this punishes item trafficking. I have no problem with that.

OK this is an acceptable answer, if it really happens. If the loot is going to be so good that not having BOA would lead to quick saturation of 'Godly' items, I could see it being viable. I would hope to continue seeing upgrades after months of play, though.

Paragon points and new affixes will provide players with the diversity and customization we desperately needed.

Smarter rolls will let us find upgrades in more ways than one.

It all comes down to arithmetic and I'm sure Blizzard is capable of making this work.
Edited by familia#1746 on 11/17/2013 7:47 AM PST
Reply Quote

Believe it or not LOD had fixed loot too. Countess and forge dropped high runes, Nightmare Andariel and Normal Diablo for sojs, etc.

*Sigh*

There are no RNG in WoW Bosses. They have a fixed amount of potential loot, all attributes on those items are fixed and they have a fixed amount of items they drop of those every time. There were no fixed loot-table for D2. They had a much wider range of potential items they could drop.

Yes Countess was after 1.10 slightly better to farm runes, but you were not guaranteed anything! That is the difference. She had thousands of potentially drops, instead of a boss in WoW who might have 6, where he would drop 2 of those upon kill. I'd say, that the odds of getting what you need, is worlds apart, taking RNG on the item itself into further account as well.
Reply Quote
Does anyone else see the irony of WoW folks griping against P2W [which is the weakest argument ever] when for the better part of 10+ years the were P2P?

Lets see...

$15 per month x 12 months a year x 10 year game life thus far = $1800

Thats a hella good sword bro!

I think to really cleanse this game, Blizz shouldn't eliminate the AH they should eliminate the forums.
Edited by stonerdoom#1945 on 11/17/2013 8:08 AM PST
Reply Quote

*Sigh*

There are no RNG in WoW Bosses. They have a fixed amount of potential loot, all attributes on those items are fixed and they have a fixed amount of items they drop of those every time. There were no fixed loot-table for D2. They had a much wider range of potential items they could drop.

Yes Countess was after 1.10 slightly better to farm runes, but you were not guaranteed anything! That is the difference. She had thousands of potentially drops, instead of a boss in WoW who might have 6, where he would drop 2 of those upon kill. I'd say, that the odds of getting what you need, is worlds apart, taking RNG on the item itself into further account as well.

If you think Diablo bosses will guarantee anything, you're mistaken.

RNG will still play a vital role in game design. Except now with smarter rolls, you'll find upgrades in more ways than one. Ask yourself.

Does it have the affix I wanted?

Does it have the stats I want?

Is it better than what I'm wearing?

Is it useful for another class or build?

They mentioned potentially dropping a legendary after the first boss kill, but that's only one legendary amongst many.

Once I get my butcher's cleaver, I'll gladly use it or salvage.
Edited by familia#1746 on 11/17/2013 8:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/17/2013 08:15 AMPosted by End
If you think Diablo bosses will guarantee anything, you're mistaken.

Huh?

Now, who is spewing drivel, as you put it before?

Where did you see me, claim that I thought, Diablo bosses would guarantee anything?

Scroll a bit up please.
Reply Quote
11/17/2013 05:56 AMPosted by Fingerling

Um what? RMAH gone, no monthly fee.....please explain this lol. You realize that they are foregoing micro transaction profits from rmah sales to try and give us a better game that is NOT p2w right? Given that your concern is not being able to sell stuff on d2jsp well, please uninstall and don't come back. YOU and people like you are the reason EVERYONE has to put up with these extreme constraints.
Reply Quote
boa only promotes self-found, solo play, it does nothing to bring community players together.

it is arguably better for the community for botters to flood the market with items as it helps lower overall prices on trades.

personally, i'm rooting for blizzard to continue with boa. just sit back and watch the forums burn.
Reply Quote
All that has been done so far is kill the top tier items set or not. The Ah is now a dead zone. I am soooo glad these devs have pretty much told everyone not to buy good items before new patch in a very out right sense. Why even give a deadline for the ah to go away on sign in, If you can even move the best item's in this game now. I found the best Witching hour in the ah rah cant even get a bid on it in the ah for a okay amount. Good job killing this part of the game months ahead of the new release! Kicking in the gut one last time the player base that's left. Why even leave the ah up at this point? I mean your just shooting yourself in the foot with the rmah big time. Child like thoughts give way to child like actions!
Reply Quote
What BoA does:
Gives people the feeling that gameplay will be fair and at the end of the day the player who plays will be better.

I have many doubts about this new system. One of them being:
With D3's major emphasis on gear, and not on the character itself, BoA seems like it will be a bad mix. While paragon points add some customization to the char, many of the desired stats have hard caps and even then 250points(paragon 500ish I believe) will not get you far. You will need a vast amount of points to make up for even 2 pieces of less than desirable gear.

My predictions for 2months after launch:
People are complaining really good gear is too easily obtainable and end game content is completely face rolled.
or
People are complaining that specific pieces of gear they are looking for are impossible to find.
(like try finding a windforce in a large collection of bows that will be able to drop at 70)/ People still saying good loot is not dropping.

Not enough information to form a solid conclusion and not to mention its all subject to change.. just my own thoughts.
Reply Quote
What if I find a godly item, and want to try and trade it for an upgrade for my favorite class?

If it's not good for your class you reroll it to make it good.

If I have an awesome ring but find a slight upgrade, what if I want to trade the old ring to my friend?

reroll it for other class.
Reply Quote
Well when I can't trade a BOA item to you it saves us both the time of trying to trade.... *Rolls Eyes*
Reply Quote
I have posted this question in a couple of BOA threads, but never got any response. Have we received any explanation as to how BOA is good for us as players?

I understand that it screws over botters and 3rd party sites, but why should I care? If I have an awesome ring but find a slight upgrade, what if I want to trade the old ring to my friend? What if I find a godly item, and want to try and trade it for an upgrade for my favorite class?

Do we have any reason to believe that BOA is good for us, or is it just bad for them (botters and 3rd party sites)?

You hit the nail, BoA is no good for regular player who want to play and have fun with friends (I expect most have more than 3 friends in friends list), BoA means you can not help out a friend and friends cannot help you.
But why do we have friends, friends are those who help each other and share, BoA takes this away.

It's rude way to say, go play yourself and forgot friends, cause it does not matter since you cannot share your loot.

Diablo should be fun and social, BoA is the opposite of this.

Ding ding ding!

We have a winner.

Well said.
Reply Quote
u can share ur loot, with the friends in ur current game !

so its the opposite. there is even a stronger incentive to play with friends.
Reply Quote
11/16/2013 11:54 PMPosted by Darlynn
You can buy BiS gear in WoW, because you can just buy a whole raid to funnel all drops to you!

This, whilst possible - accounts for an absolute tiny tiny fraction of 1% of all the raid loot that drops in Wow.

I've raided for 7 years and am currently my guild's raid leader. (Burning Steppes EU - Aliens)

I can assure you that Bis means Bis with the heroic SoO raids needing incredibly geared and legendary cloaked whole raid teams that less than 1% of all servers have - let alone the tiny % of those that offer a boost service!

To suggest that this is widespread or even heard of by the overwhelming majority of Wow players - is to demonstrate your utter lack of accurate knowledge of Wow raiding.

The FACT is that 99% of players actually make do with slightly reduced versions of the BiS loot, from doing normal raids or LFR or Flex - there is just no need for the BiS heroic stuff and I am surprised that you try to muddy the BOA debate waters by suggesting there is Darlynn. Very disingenous of you IMO.
Reply Quote
You hit the nail, BoA is no good for regular player who want to play and have fun with friends (I expect most have more than 3 friends in friends list), BoA means you can not help out a friend and friends cannot help you.
But why do we have friends, friends are those who help each other and share, BoA takes this away.

It's rude way to say, go play yourself and forgot friends, cause it does not matter since you cannot share your loot.

Diablo should be fun and social, BoA is the opposite of this.

Ding ding ding!

We have a winner.

Well said.

UTTER RUBBISH !

If you PLAY with your beloved 'friends' then guess what? You have 2 hours per drop to decide who gets what. You can even leave the game and try it on and mix and match between players before the 2 hours is up. Just like Wow - works brilliantly!

So there is actually MORE of an incentive to hook up with your friends!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]