Diablo® III

How does BOA help the me as a player?

so your argument is that you know better than us and that trading, which has been in diablo since day 1 so go away because you say so. (that I can't have chocolate cake for breakfast?)

face it. you can play without trading just fine. your just want all of us to be forced to play the same way as you.

what we do is our own business, if the drops are balanced around a self found player (loot 2.0 claims this), then what we do won't affect you.

If trading for the best items in the game is the best or easiest way to get them, then everyone who traded would be getting those items the fastest compared to everyone else. I think we can agree that as fact. Now all of these players would have a distinct advantage over all other players in terms of farming gear, gaining paragon levels, progressing in general since they had the fastest way to get the best loot. Would you agree that this is factual?

These players would likely base their online interactions on the qualities that upper tier of loot provides. Looking for torment 5 groups, doing speed runs, 500k+ Dps only groups, capped MF only groups, looking only for max rolled legendaries in game etc. Any player who could not meet these requirements would be negatively affecting their efficacy so they would likely be generally avoided. Essentially, if you didn't trade if you were able, you would not only be at a distinct disadvantage in terms of progression, you would likely not have as positive an online experience with other players overall.

So now add into this situation the botters and 3rd party sellers. Suddenly all players are faced with the prospect that the best and most efficient way to play is to buy your gear, lest you fall behind and online play becomes less enjoyable. So we are back to the pay-2-win gameplay that we have at the moment. Its at this point where pay to win trumps the actual fun of the game, and indeed lessens the games life span.

Sure you could just ignore all of this, but then you are segregated into this "self found" category, you have less fun as a result unless you stick to playing with other self founders. And for what? So pro-traders have more fun? At the cost of the overall enjoyment of the game? In one years time how many will have gotten bored and quit? Are you saying that a smaller population in-game will not effect me in the slightest? What about if/when PvP is finally released? What if the game becomes so easy they boost the difficulty to please the population? The player base becomes even more divided, the traders and the "self founders" each playing on separate levels from each other, each group not able to interact with the other.

There are many things that can be said in support of BoA. The only argument against it I hear is that you shouldn't be forced to play the way I do. But why should I be forced to play the way you want? Saying that I can ignore trading if I want to is ignoring the fact that it will affect my game negatively in one way or another. Currently anyone can simply ignore the AH, yet it exists and it was a large factor in the overall failure of vanilla D3, so much so that when it was announced that it was being removed the vast majority praised the decision. And simply arguing that trading has just always been there in it's defense is pretty weak. We used to just always live in caves banging rocks together and hunting with sticks, so why did we change? It made things better. BoA will make things better. Not because I say so, because its the truth even if many don't know it.

You would get the exact same situation you are describing with people getting ahead, simply because some people have more play time than others. Trading would let people with less play time catch up.

The coin have two sides.
Reply Quote
You would get the exact same situation you are describing with people getting ahead, simply because some people have more play time than others. Trading would let people with less play time catch up.

The coin have two sides.

Yes but trading accellerates this progression for everyone including those who have longer play times, which in turn lessens the time everyone can meaningfully get drops and play the game. Sure it will all eventually happen anyway, but I think one of the main reasons for BoA is to make the game last a long time. Be a great game like D2 was for years and years. Instead of being dead and out of content that's relevant in six months.
Reply Quote
11/18/2013 07:08 PMPosted by KingD
Trading would let people with less play time catch up.

Trading isn't banned. You will still be able to trade the rares.
WHICH WILL BE GOOD AND POWERFUL ALSO.
Reply Quote
View profile
There is more to it other than those that would get those items by cheating. I say that the number one reason is that it gives the game an item sink. That is something that this game needs. Without BoA, in time all really great to godly gear would be dirt cheap and easy to get.
Reply Quote
11/18/2013 07:31 PMPosted by ShadowAegis
item sink

YES.

WTF MY CAPS GOT STUCK.
Oh there, great.. Now it's fixed.
Reply Quote

The coin have two sides.

Yes but trading accellerates this progression for everyone including those who have longer play times, which in turn lessens the time everyone can meaningfully get drops and play the game. Sure it will all eventually happen anyway, but I think one of the main reasons for BoA is to make the game last a long time. Be a great game like D2 was for years and years. Instead of being dead and out of content that's relevant in six months.

If they truly wants it to last as long as D2 (Which I highly doubt) they should put in more pleasure triggers to activate the dopamine in the brain.

If all you have to get exited about in a loot game, is gear, that will quickly become old news and boring. And in time this blandness will be reinforced when upgrades gets harder and harder to get.

I think they should swallow their pride a bit, and concede to the original plan they had, which incorporates various charms; (and they should add affixes other than stats)

http://www.diablowiki.net/Charms

More loot, but even more important, different types of loot. More to look out for, more ways to define and build your character.
Edited by KingD#2483 on 11/18/2013 7:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have no answer for you friend.

You will have to hope for a answer from a Blue I guess. But that will never come!

If you had asked " what is your favorite Pie" there would be 4-5 Blue's respond, but ya didnt you asked a question that we all want to know the answer to therefore there will be no answer!

Sorry man that's the way Blizzard see's fit to respond to the fan base these days!

I LOL'd hard at this.
Reply Quote

If they truly wants it to last as long as D2 (Which I highly doubt) they should put in more pleasure triggers to activate the dopamine in the brain.

If all you have to get exited about in a loot game, is gear, that will quickly become old news and boring. And in time this blandness will be reinforced when upgrades gets harder and harder to get.

I think they should swallow their pride a bit, and concede to the original plan they had, which incorporates various charms; (and they should add affixes other than stats)

http://www.diablowiki.net/Charms

More loot, but even more important, different types of loot. More to look out for, more ways to define and build your character.

On this I completely agree 100%. This expansion will likely be supported with patches for quite some time. Content patches in the future will likely happen, and if not, then surely systems tweaks to help out with the fun and longevity. (all patches have this goal.) BoA is a good starting point to make this game last a long time however. (at least as it currently stands anyway)
Reply Quote
This is very simple....the less ways you have to acquire gear via trading/giving, and the more character specific gear becomes, the better the devs can set the drop rates for items. This facilitates being able to find better loot on your own, which is 100% the reason for pretty much every change in the last couple months if you've been paying any kind of attention.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]