Diablo® III

List of all free expansion features here! Summarised!

Here I am going to write a list of the features that will be included for free in the pre-expansion patch. I think that most people will be satisfied with what is included because even though RoS will have a lot of new things to explore, the pre-expansion patch will also have at least half of all those features.

None of this has been confirmed 100% but blue posts have stated that all core features of the game; the things that are already in the game, but are being recreated is what will be in the pre-expansion patch.

A blue post has mentioned that typically, Blizzard Pre-expansion patches are release 2 weeks to 2 months before the release of the expansion. Let's hope for a pre-expansion release in March, upon removal of the Auction House, eh?

These features will be included for free in the pre-expansion patch
  • Adventure Mode (includes bounties, travelling between all acts in one game and Nephalem Rifts)
  • New Paragon system
  • Revamped itemization (less drops, but better, set items are actually sets now with green beams when dropped on the ground, legendaries have very unique effects etc)
  • Removal of Auction House
  • Revamp of current existing skills (for class balance)
  • New difficulty system! (Now you no longer have to play through the campaign four times, instead only once. The current plans are to unlock act 1 in adventure mode when you defeat act 1 in campaign, same with act 2, 3 etc).
  • These features will not be included for free, and purchasing RoS will be required
  • A whole new, completely randomized Act (new monsters, new bosses, new events, new story
  • A new playable class (Crusader)
  • Clans (Might be for free? I doubt it though)
  • Ladders (if they are to be implemented, they have NOT been confirmed)
  • New level cap (70)
  • 4th passive skill slot (not sure if this has been confirmed? Any clarification would be great thanks)
  • New skills and runes beyond level 60
  • The Mystic Artisan (can change item's stats and change the look of your clothes)
  • Nephalem Trials have been confirmed to be put on hold (to prevent postponing the release date of RoS) and is most likely to be implemented in a patch after Reaper of Souls has been released. This means that we don't know if this feature will be for free, or purchasing RoS will be required.

If I have forgotten anything, please don't hesitate to let me know. You may also correct me if some of my list is false. If this thread manages to be kept alive, I will update it frequently for sure, so please, ask questions, make suggestions, any comment!

Thank you!
    Edited by HarkuBass#1660 on 11/18/2013 7:02 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    Thank you for the information, I thought Adventure Mode will be in the expansion :D
    Reply Quote
    Lol one new act, one new class.

You know why Diablo and Diablo2 were excellent game? Innovation.

Only a single new class, how cheap is that.

And one single ACT? If they really wanted to be pardonned, they would have added 4 new class, 2-3 more acts.

Right now they are just filling a cowcash list.
    Reply Quote

And one single ACT? If they really wanted to be pardonned, they would have added 4 new class, 2-3 more acts.

To be fair, it's more work nowadays because it's in 3D to create environments and animated units. Especially when they have to basically make puzzle pieces that have to work so that it'll be able to stick to other pieces from any direction, without looking awful. They are doing that with the entire act 5. Look at dungeons like Keep Depths or even smaller ones like Decaying Crypts, all the rooms, hallways and doorways you see have been programmed to be approachable from all directions so they can be constructed to be as random as possible.

Adding 2-3 of these acts would make you wait till 2017 or something crazy.

I think you should definitely give them a chance here because I reckon that the expansion (and even the pre-exp patch) will increase the fun factor to triple of the current game.
    Reply Quote
    Bump for being a good post.
    Reply Quote
    Thanks for the break down
    Reply Quote
    Thanks guys, spread the word!
    Reply Quote

How many new skills did we get in the XPAC? We got 1 Act and 2 classes. We're getting 1 Act, 1 class and more skills & passives. It kind of evens up. I would have loved 2 classed as well (we could have ended with 9 classes total --- 3 of each category) :)
    Reply Quote
    I thought all the modes are for x-pansion only? Since the way points for ACT V is there as well.

If that's the case.

- A whole new, completely randomized Act (new monsters, new bosses, new events, new story
    - A new playable class (Crusader)
    - New level cap (70)
    - The Mystic Artisan (can change item's stats and change the look of your clothes)

For $40 it isn't enough. really it's not.

These others below are more bells and whistles
    4th passive skill slot (not sure if this has been confirmed? Any clarification would be great thanks)
    New skills and runes beyond level 60

Regardless I don't see ROS being a huge improvement over D3 to make it as great as D2 was. The itemization being based on Stats is still bad regardless of what affixes are thrown in.

Example OOOOH Meteor does %5 more damage! Big deal. It doesn't make me any different than a sorcerer that has the same Affix with 140 int when I have the affix with 110 int.
    Reply Quote
    ...please give us the patch on public test realms this year
    Reply Quote

Really man, if you want only XPAC new feature they could put this:

Adventure Mode (includes bounties, travelling between all acts in one game and Nephalem Rifts)
    New Paragon system
    Revamped itemization (less drops, but better, set items are actually sets now with green beams when dropped on the ground, legendaries have very unique effects etc)
    Removal of Auction House
    Revamp of current existing skills (for class balance)

in the XPAC then you will fell better for have more things in the expansion??? Hahahah, c'mon they will give many things free, i'm not bad with this, it's very better, get nice stuff for free and nice stuff in the xpac too, not only paying for it...
    Reply Quote
    11/17/2013 01:52 PMPosted by HarkuBass
    To be fair, it's more work nowadays because it's in 3D to create environments and animated units. Especially when they have to basically make puzzle pieces that have to work so that it'll be able to stick to other pieces from any direction, without looking awful. They are doing that with the entire act 5. Look at dungeons like Keep Depths or even smaller ones like Decaying Crypts, all the rooms, hallways and doorways you see have been programmed to be approachable from all directions so they can be constructed to be as random as possible.

It's really not as complicated as it sounds, if you already know the software to do it. The hard part is learning the techniques and such. I would think their modelers already know this stuff, and are not learning on the job.

I'm not saying it's kid stuff - But it's not magic or rocket science either.
    Reply Quote
    Regardless I don't see ROS being a huge improvement over D3 to make it as great as D2 was. The itemization being based on Stats is still bad regardless of what affixes are thrown in.

Hey man, we all loved Diablo 2, but a large factor in the way that people believe Diablo 2 is better is in theory largely because of nostalgia.

I can see that there are some awful things about the game, such as the fact that you can't travel in all acts in the game right now, also the fact that max level is 60 I can't see what would be wrong with just having 99 levels again... But I'm loving the sound of the new paragon system though.

I still play Diablo 2 every now and then, but I like Diablo 3. The art is beautiful and they got the combat exactly right and it's incredibly satisfying. If you play self-found hardcore, the game gets even better. Not only do you get a nice upgrade every now and then which feels great, the builds you have to use are also much more interesting. WW barbs are boring, but most hardcore barbarians have more interesting builds where you use more than 1 button at a time. Same with wizards. One class with very fascinating builds is DH. Probably the most diverse character in the game on hardcore right now. If you haven't tried already, try it man, grow to love the game again.
    Reply Quote
    It's really not as complicated as it sounds, if you already know the software to do it. The hard part is learning the techniques and such. I would think their modelers already know this stuff, and are not learning on the job.

I'm not saying it's kid stuff - But it's not magic or rocket science either.

Hey, it's their job, they've been educated and trained to do this. They can do anything they want, it just takes time. As I said, each chunk or at least most chunks requires to be able to be connected to other chunks from each side. Each chunk has to look different, but also be able to stick to each other without looking awkward. It may not be complicated if you understand how it works, but it's a fair amount of effort, it just takes a while to get it right without bugs (bugs man, take so long to get them all right...)
    When I was a kid, I used to actually help my uncle create small 3D games.

Once we made a small private Diablo style game, only you controlled a fox, standing upright like a human who could find and equip armour and weapons. It was based in a forest and badgers were the bad guys. We also created a randomly generated forest, we made around 200 different chunks (or puzzle pieces) that could all work together with each other to create randomly generated lands. There was in total almost 40000 different combinations of the forest. It was never published because we did it as a hobby and it was quite expensive to get that kinda thing released for a profit, so it was only shared between members of the family. Whereas it's much different to create games nowadays, I still have an idea of how it works.

Just talking about it now kind of makes me miss it but being 21, working and in university I think that time is over for me =)
    Reply Quote
    11/17/2013 05:55 PMPosted by Brad
    I think Diablo 3 + ROS will be better than Diablo 2 was at the two year mark.

Hey man, I'm not gonna lie, according to the current direction ROS is going, I believe it will be better than Diablo 2. I concur 100%!
    Reply Quote
    11/17/2013 06:01 PMPosted by HarkuBass
    Once we made a small private Diablo style game, only you controlled a fox, standing upright like a human who could find and equip armour and weapons. It was based in a forest and badgers were the bad guys. We also created a randomly generated forest, we made around 200 different chunks (or puzzle pieces) that could all work together with each other to create randomly generated lands.

Sounds like a great project, and a lot of fun. From your last line, I am guessing this was, uh, a while ago. ;-) The tools available now in the newest 3D modeling programs make the transitions a lot easier to achieve. A lot of what you probably had to do by hand is automated now. The trick is, you have to control the automation. Progress is often a double edge sword.

Hmmm... For an endgame boss in your game, the Honey Badger would be a great one. lol

Honey Badger don't care...
    Reply Quote
    Hmmm... For an endgame boss in your game, the Honey Badger would be a great one. lol

Haha these were good times! Unfortunately we never got around to making any bosses! We made 3 different types of enemies. 2 badgers, archer and knight and also alligators that would come out of the water and could 1hit you haha!

Sounds like a great project, and a lot of fun. From your last line, I am guessing this was, uh, a while ago. ;-) The tools available now in the newest 3D modeling programs make the transitions a lot easier to achieve. A lot of what you probably had to do by hand is automated now. The trick is, you have to control the automation. Progress is often a double edge sword.

It was somewhere around year 2001 or 2002. But game development technology is one of those things that develop insanely quickly so I'm guessing nowadays it's way way different to how we did it. If it's easier to do now, do you reckon it's also easier to learn?
    Reply Quote
    I'm just going to come out and say it...

You guys complaining about the expansion not being worth the money, you realize that there's a heck of a lot more content in a Diablo 3 act than in a Diablo 2 act right?
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]