Diablo® III

RoS: Please Reconsider the Level Scaling Mechanic

I read a blue post about the new difficulty modes being introduced with the Reaper of Souls expansion, and about how enemies will always scale to the level of the player, in each of the modes. I'm hoping I misinterpreted, but here's my rebuttal just in case.

I understand that balancing is a complex problem, but please don't resort to level scaling. When I level up, I like to be able to feel a difference, to feel a sense of progression. Leveling up should feel important. If enemies level up with us, we'll quickly get the "hamster on a wheel" mindset, and won't feel motivated (especially with 70 levels to gain).

With level scaling, I can make the argument that levels shouldn't even exist (other than gradually introducing new skills), and that's an even worse situation.

Honestly, I'm happy with the current system. My suggestion:

1. Keep the original tiered system and adjust for the new expansion. Normal = 1-30, Nightmare = 31-50, Hell = 51-60, Inferno = 61-70, New Difficulty = 71-73
2. Keep the monster power selection.
3. Still allow a player to choose any difficulty, regardless of their progression in earlier difficulty modes. Maybe toss in level requirements for sanity checks, like in Diablo 1.
4. Allow monster power selection (at lower than the level cap) to increase the level of monsters by a certain amount. So, if I like act 2 (for example) and never want to leave it, I can get there in normal mode, crank up monster power until I'm leveled enough for nightmare mode, and skip up to nightmare mode at monster power 0 again.

Unless I'm mistaken, this should allow the same flexibility you're desiring to provide the players, without having to add in something as mind numbing as level scaling.

Even if my idea is horrible, please do something to avoid level scaling. I play RPGs for the sense of progression, and (other than max level playing) this takes it away completely.

Thanks for reading,

Mort
Reply Quote
MVP
How would you suggest balancing a mode where all areas can be played from level 1-70 without level scaling?
Reply Quote
I agree. Level scaling is one of the worst inventions of modern game design. There's no point in the loot progression if the loot doesn't actually make you progress. May as well remove loot and levels altogether.
Reply Quote
why do you people care about level scaling? Level 70 is all that matters anyway and it takes less than a day to reach. Pick your battles people.
Reply Quote
Yes but what does it matter? Everyone will be the same level anyway in a day! They basically have the MP system under a different name now.
Reply Quote
View profile
I have never had an issue with games that use level scaling, As the mobs that were once low level and only dropped low level items, Now have a chance at dropping a higher level item. But i could see where this would certainly frustrate botters. Not that I'm saying anyone here is botting. And in way isn't monster power a form of scaling?
Reply Quote
whats the problem end game of d3 is you at 60 fighting level 63 mobs
Reply Quote
I think the level scaling is just fine...

Plus as people say, it's the endgame that's the most fun anyway!
Reply Quote
The new leveling scaling system is fine. Good job Blizzard once again!
Reply Quote
11/16/2013 03:31 PMPosted by Khyras
Yes but what does it matter? Everyone will be the same level anyway in a day! They basically have the MP system under a different name now.

Some people will but some wont, like me.I like to clear every map and do every side quest i can find,alone, just to see what new class (crusader in this case) can do, experiment with different loadouts etc.My first playthrough when i bought the game lasted a few days and with new act game will be even longer

So what's the issue? Lower the difficulty if your gear isn't keeping up. Get some great drops and the mobs get easy; then raise the difficulty again. No problem.
Reply Quote
I understand that balancing is a complex problem, but please don't resort to level scaling. When I level up, I like to be able to feel a difference, to feel a sense of progression. Leveling up should feel important. If enemies level up with us, we'll quickly get the "hamster on a wheel" mindset, and won't feel motivated (especially with 70 levels to gain).

Scaling stops at max level anyway, i don't see where the problem is. I think this is a clean and balanced way of making the game challenging before reaching level 70, which i presume is doable in 10 hours or less from level 60.

I think it must be somehow similar to the co-op scaling in Dead Island in where upon entering a game, monsters scale up/down to your player level making each monster appear to have a different level per player. :3

The Troll Slayer
Sanguine Palladian Autonomous Noob Kicker™ (S.P.A.N.K.)
AKA The Black Brigade; We Hunt For Sport ®
Caution: I'm a dude.
Reply Quote
Level scaling is fine, you will progress through your gear, at lower levels your gear affixes/preffixes are less important since they roll such small bonuses, as you progress these start to get a higher ranges and thus become more and more important as you approach end game, by end game you will still become more powerful as you star to get better armor/weapons.
Reply Quote
How would you suggest balancing a mode where all areas can be played from level 1-70 without level scaling?

It's not a requirement to have all modes playable from levels 1-70. In fact, I don't really like that concept at all.

In response to various other posts:

I understand some people disagree with the original post, and that's cool. At the same time, don't try and tell me that everything is fine. It's my opinion, and it will impact how I feel about the game; that's why I'm here making a fuss, because I believe that every now and then, Blizzard listens.

Right or wrong, it's my strong belief that level scaling is the lazy way out of game balance, and it will detract from my desire to play the game. There ARE other solutions, and I hope the devs can figure one out.

Mort
Reply Quote
Monsters scaling with player level is horrible. Why even have character levels if that's going to be the case? All the levels do is give the illusion of progression through gear that eventually reaches a desired start point for end game. May as well just start there to begin with.

Please do not add monster scaling. I like using my high level characters to farm for low level gear.
Edited by BobWitchDR#1219 on 11/16/2013 8:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
So in theory, with level scaling, could you just conceivably sit in the same small extremely packed area of a zone, clear it, reset, and do that all the way to max level?

edit (as long as you had gear in stash to adjust to monster levels)

If that's possible, that seems to sort of trivialize hardcore leveling.
Edited by Pereg#1907 on 11/16/2013 11:20 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]