Diablo® III

No PvP, no trading, no chat channels...Why am I online?

11/16/2013 12:05 AMPosted by Baconan
You're online because playing offline makes you mad and you just forgot about it

Touche, my friend!
Reply Quote
11/16/2013 03:18 PMPosted by Rainmaker
You're online because playing offline makes you mad and you just forgot about it

Touche, my friend!

That's really, the only answer I was looking for.
Reply Quote
11/16/2013 03:14 PMPosted by mikeab7925
edit: most unfair part is the pirates are playing offline with a server emulator.

No they're not.
Reply Quote

Piracy is for sure a huge reason.

But not the only one. In the past some developers even talked about that (not from Blizzard though, but it doesnt really make I difference I guess).

They hate people selling their "used" games for example. Its someone buying a copy of the game and you dont get any money for that. A lot of people in the industry, shockingly, believe thats close to "stealing" their game ... wow! They dont get a penny! What a shame! Imagine if the rest of the world would work the same. Sorry! Cant sell your car! With always online DRMs and accounts etc. you can almost eliminate that.

Another reason is, to put it simply, controll. With accounts and players registered on your servers, you know how many play your game, what they play, how often the play, when they go to the bathroom, how often they have sex etc. you get the idea. They can get a lot of data and informations. But thats not even the problem. The issue starts when a company, like Blizzard, or EA believes that youre not "good" for their game. So that the "rights" they give you will sudenly be ... gone. Imagine for what ever reason (I will not go in to details here) your account is banned. As said, lets not discuss why it happend, could be as well some kind of accident, or what ever. But its a fact that now you have a 50 dollar brick on your desk and there is nothing you can do with it and just "hope" that Blizzard will eventually allow you again to play their game again if you say often enough "please". It sure is rare that accidents happen, but it does happen. No software or human is perfect.

The way how I see it, as consumer not as developer! Always online DRM measures have a lot more negative aspects to it then positive sides, particularls since, from the consumer perspective, there is nothing that says I cant get the advantages together with offline, for example, steam. It offers offline modes. Or games could make seperate worlds, where you buy the game, play the single player and have never to bother your self with accounts, patches etc. But then they would lose a lot of people, people like me, that see no reason in creating accounts for 6 different companies ... which I will never ever use again.

And I didnt even mention "issues" here. Like accounts that wont let you login, I avoid games for windows life for that reason, I always had issues with that software ... nothing is worse to be stuck at the loggin screen because THEIR servers have issues and you cant play a game you payed for now, and its not even an issue with the GAME, but the damn loggin software ... that wants you to be online ...

As a Software Developer myself, I agree with a lot of your points and you know what? Blizzard probably did the right thing with requiring an internet connection. Starcraft followers know this all to well with the KESPA situation allowing Blizzard total control over their game. Consiquently, KESPA couldn't form rights around SC2 and therefore the broadcasting field remained fair for everyone (GOMTV). Although SC2 is an esport and Diablo 3 is not, your points apply and they are valid.

However, the title of my post was more of a "haha, why am I even in this network of players" when it adds no benefit whatsoever to my playing experience. I want a reason to interact with people. I want to duel, I want to trade, I want another barb to smash me into the ground, I want to get scammed, I want to make good deals and all that jazz. Why? Because its interesting, fun, fresh and adds diversity to the monotonous grind that is Diablo 3. At this point, Reaper of Souls does not deliver

that is all fine and respectable. But I am talking about a consumer perspective here and there is NO reason to force something on all of your users if you dont have to. I repeat again, from a consumers point of view. Offering options here would be the right thing, and if you remember the huge uproar when BLizzard anounced "no lan modus" for the first time ... its not like people dont want it.

The way that I see it is, that at the moment a lot of indie games really try to do games with the consumer and their player base in mind while companies like Blizzard, EA, Ubisoft rather do things for the company. That doesnt mean that the consumer has no value for them, but its rather statistical. Like, how many do we lose? What can we do before we lose to much? Its a faceless approach that so many hate.

I mean if always online DRMs would at least give you some REAL benefits. Imagine something like this, even if you have the game you still have the option to sell. Like selling D3 to someone who has as well some BLizzard account. Now you dont get the directly money, but maybe credit points, or game points or Blizz points or what ever you want to call that. With those points you have the option to buy another Blizz product that has the same value. Like Buying Star Craft with selling Diablo 3.
Reply Quote
the reason its online is to play with friends and 2 have loot 2.0 smartdrop system and to stop people from walking around muilti player games with stuff like this

http://i.imgur.com/Bv7LkKC.jpg

that's what happened to the console version due to offline mode that alone should be enough reason to not play offline....cant you just make a game and not have people join if you want to play by yourself I don't want everyone walking around with hacked gear like on PS and XBOX, you want to play offline go play on console, also I am in Australia playing US server on the worst connection in the world averaging 350-400ping if you have a worst connection than me and are trying to play tuff luck move house its not worth ruining the game with offline for for people that are still on dial up 56k internet
Reply Quote
Because you agreed to the ToS that lets Blizzard inspect your computer while you play. Then they sell that information to the NSA so the government can keep tabs on you.

Not really, but it's possible.
Reply Quote
the reason its online is to play with friends and 2 have loot 2.0 smartdrop system and to stop people from walking around muilti player games with stuff like this

http://i.imgur.com/Bv7LkKC.jpg

that's what happened to the console version due to offline mode that alone should be enough reason to not play offline....cant you just make a game and not have people join if you want to play by yourself I don't want everyone walking around with hacked gear like on PS and XBOX, you want to play offline go play on console, also I am in Australia playing US server on the worst connection in the world averaging 350-400ping if you have a worst connection than me and are trying to play tuff luck move house its not worth ruining the game with offline for for people that are still on dial up 56k internet

Offline char's can't join B.Net. They couldn't in D2, so over 10 years after, I am sure they wouldn't here either. What people can and do in offline mode, are of no concern for those playing online.
Reply Quote
Your bickering definitely won't change that

Piracy would be the actual reason, fyi
Edited by familia#1746 on 11/16/2013 4:58 PM PST
Reply Quote

No they're not.

go ahead. check it out for yourself . you can deny it all you want. people did the same about duping programs. bots. spammers. map hacks. just because you haven't heard of it, or Blizzard denies it, doesn't mean it's not there. i've never seen a million dollars. i know it exists though.

I did check, and there are no working server emulators. You can download one from torrent sites, but that doesn't mean that it works.

As far as I know there are no legit duping programs either. If there were I'm sure 6cc Mempos and 1200+ DPS EFs would be dirt cheap by now.
Edited by OWD#1416 on 11/16/2013 5:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
One of the best threads that I have seen on these forums. Unfortunately blizzard will not respond to any of this. Blizzard now measures the success of its games by sales not the approval of its fan base. Hopefully now that d3 can't ride the name and reputation of d2 with ros, blizzard will finally get hit in the wallet.

One of the funniest quotes I have ever seems that really sums up these devs.

Josh: "not a day goes by that someone doesn't ask me about pvp"

Gee guy maybe that's a hint?

Stunning that 2 years after d3 was released fans still don't have the pvp system they were PROMISED when they gave they're money to blizzard.

These people are clueless.
Reply Quote
offline mode chars on console cant be played online mode yet people still walking around with that gear in online mode muilti player games .... save files don’t require verification
Reply Quote
One of the best threads that I have seen on these forums. Unfortunately blizzard will not respond to any of this. Blizzard now measures the success of its games by sales not the approval of its fan base. Hopefully now that d3 can't ride the name and reputation of d2 with ros, blizzard will finally get hit in the wallet.

One of the funniest quotes I have ever seems that really sums up these devs.

Josh: "not a day goes by that someone doesn't ask me about pvp"

Gee guy maybe that's a hint?

Stunning that 2 years after d3 was released fans still don't have the pvp system they were PROMISED when they gave they're money to blizzard.

These people are clueless.

Lol, thanks. Yea I don't get it either, these features don't support multiplayer gameplay in the slightest. Don't even get me started on the PvP thing, I'll just get angry and rant.
Edited by Smash#1878 on 11/16/2013 5:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/16/2013 05:22 PMPosted by Inertia
offline mode chars on console cant be played online mode yet people still walking around with that gear in online mode muilti player games .... save files don’t require verification

That is for console's. Any of that, hardly pertains for PC's.
Reply Quote
11/16/2013 05:52 PMPosted by mikeab7925
You're retarded if you think "piracy is running rampant", or if you think people are actually playing the game using that program.

look, it's fine if we disagree, or even argue something. to call me or anyone retarded is completely unacceptable.

The internet defaults to 'retard' or 'retarded' when it faces no feasible victory during an argument.
Reply Quote

look, it's fine if we disagree, or even argue something. to call me or anyone retarded is completely unacceptable.

The internet defaults to 'retard' or 'retarded' when it faces no feasible victory during an argument.

Right, because there are no asinine comments on the internet that could completely fit the definition of being retarded...

Just to be clear Mike I don't believe you're literally mentally challenged, and I apologize if you took the insult to heart. As for the argument we were having, you're wrong. :)
Edited by OWD#1416 on 11/16/2013 6:05 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]