Diablo® III

Why BoA will not stop RMT or BOTS.

11/15/2013 11:16 AMPosted by Badfish
On a side note, when has the "M" rating ever been a deterent for a minor getting a video game? Thats a bit rediculous.

Well, I know that Wall-Mart cards buyers, and if you're buying online, it's obviously not a minor's credit card being used.

Not that I'm saying Blizzard should ask for PoP and ID, but they very well have full grounds to do just that.
Reply Quote
11/15/2013 11:26 AMPosted by Shark
If the price for 1 run is $5 - $10, 10 runs is $50 - $100 and 100 will be $500 - $1000.

Nice price, but no thanks :P
I remember people selling prepared runs. Wasn't too successful.

That is a lot. Damn, it's a lot more than selling items now.

I doubt they could keep such a price. But I also believe their clientel will be very limited, so perhaps people would be willing to pay that outrageous price for a few sessions.

So, if you switch out 'a lot more' for 'vastly less' you'll get it right.
With the AH as it is now, bots reach the entire population easily.
With a free item market, they are still a major influence.
Not so much with a leveling service.
Reply Quote
Why would you report then, if you like the service? You pay for it.

Someone will, that's how it goes.
And that's why it's risky.

I doubt botrunning would become a popular choice. But I dunno, maybe.

Bot running was standard in d2 even without boa. Mostly it was done for exp.

Really enjoyed reading the op. Some good insights.
Edited by donk#1506 on 11/15/2013 11:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
I've been arguing something for awhile now that I think is relevant to this discussion. No BoA will not make bots go extinct, but that is not the goal in the first place. Similarly to something like network security there is no such thing as a 100% secure system. The name of the game is reduction and response. Reduce the ability to exploit, reduce the damage that can be done, and prepare your response against a threat as much as possible. With bots its much the same.

When trading accounts the seller has to worry about it's own expenses when considering a profit. Having to sell an entire account is more time consuming as well as inconvenient to the customer compared to them buying exactly what they want. They will have to pay for a bulk of different things. Some things they don't care about or want. Having to repurchase a new cd-key for each and every sale is quite harsh as that will really start to add up, and possibly causing a raise in the prices. Also, regardless of how well you think blizzard does policing their games, buying and using the actual account that used to bot is more risky to the player, especially as blizzard uses delayed ban wave tactics, and they are usually pretty large.

As for bot's that run with players, you are right. That will be more problematic then simply selling accounts. However, they are still not as bad as 3rd parties being able to sell items freely. Firstly, the customer would be paying for the CHANCE at getting loot, not simply whatever they want from a list. They could maybe get a good deal of items from running with them, but it may be nothing they want or need. This will eventually become worse overtime for the botters because people will start getting more geared later on and it will become harder to find upgrades for that customer. A higher and higher % of payed runs will become unhelpful to the user meaning they are paying money for nothing. Also, the items that the user does get will be bound to that user, and that user alone. They cannot trade them for other stuff, and not spread the disease to the rest of the population. Self contained.
Edited by Phantom#1450 on 11/15/2013 11:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
Nothing will stop bots , but it will make it alot harder for them to trade/sell things .
Reply Quote
11/15/2013 12:07 PMPosted by FooOne
This will eventually become worse overtime for the botters because people will start getting more geared later on and it will become harder to find upgrades for that customer.

You'd be lucky to have anyone left grinding at that RNG that never gives upgrades "later on". There will be no "later on". The BOT outfits will have made their money and moved on to the next project. Players would have moved long before that because they can't get upgrades.

It will be worse for the BOTTERS "later on", because the market dried up because all the players got sick of waiting for the drop that never comes.

That's a pretty large assumption. We have no idea how rewarding loot2.0 will be, and you seem to be the type that wants all his gear right away within the first day. Of course YOU will get bored of it because you don't want to play the game, and at least players that play the game legitimately wont be losing something of their own when a run doesn't yield exactly what they wanted ($$$).
Reply Quote
We will just have to see how it goes I guess. I cant imagine the market for $1000 acounts will be huge. It will be there for sure, but marginal.
I just hope Blizzard would announce every time they caught one of them. That would be pretty fun.
Edited by Shadout#2849 on 11/15/2013 12:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
Haha imagine how pissed people would be if those $1000 accounts got banned.
Edited by Phantom#1450 on 11/15/2013 12:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
I had thought just now on this subject or rather with trade in general. What if the system were to work like this. Eliminate the 2 hour in game player trades. Everything is BOA, however you get 1 trade exceptions per week or even month. The item would have to be tagged when its dropped to be one of these accepted "trade" items. So you are making a calculated decision, is this something I want or is this something with real trade value. The trade exception would have a time limit built on it, say 2 days- week. After the time limit expires it would become a permanent BOA. You would also only be allowed to enter into 1 trade per week-month, meaning you couldnt find 6 people and trade with them all. I understand that this could also be botted, but it would serve to offer limited trade. You wouldnt be able to funnel legendarys to 1 person in game. Account sells would still happen but I really dont think there is anyway to stop that. You would be allowing people to progress but it would be at a controlled rate.
Reply Quote
I would support full BoA, or even a separate fully BoA mode at character creation even if it is a 3rd fracture to the community. The current system works just fine for me as well if it's kept.
Reply Quote
Dream on. There track record with ban waves should make you cry.

How many BOTS have been spamming you lately? Has it ever stoppped? LOL.

I know. It wont happen. Blizzard should drastically improve their fight against cheating, but it is unlikely that they ever will.
Reply Quote
I just hope Blizzard would announce every time they caught one of them. That would be pretty fun.

Dream on. There track record with ban waves should make you cry.

How many BOTS have been spamming you lately? Has it ever stoppped? LOL.

Once they sold the account, they are past the hurdle. Unless the idiot owner BOTS himself, they will never be caught, because it would appear to blizz just like normal player playing.

Haha imagine how pissed people would be if those $1000 accounts got banned.

How many people got banned from exploiting the gold dupe bug? LOL. Blizz track record on bans is laughable. Isn't that why you are here crying about how everyone else gets better stuff than you? And how you want to punish everyone with no trade, BoA, and no AH?

The whole reason banning bots doesn't matter right now is because they can move all their sold goods off of the account as they go along. With BoA a single ban doesn't just eliminate the cd-key /account but every piece of loot botted from it and any progress based on time. It put's more risk on the buyer, period. Ban waves do happen no matter what you think, and when someone is paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for something, even the smallest risk of loosing it at any time for no other reason then it's existence, that is huge. Far less people can afford that or bother with that kind of trouble. It doesn't matter if botters start making more money then small countries, less people will invest in that, in turn reducing the problem in game.
Edited by Phantom#1450 on 11/15/2013 12:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/15/2013 12:24 PMPosted by FooOne
You would be allowing people to progress but it would be at a controlled rate.

I thought Blizz has stated that they want players to have more control, i.e. give players more freedom see:

One of our big goals with Reaper of Souls is to give players more control over their game experience,

reference:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10490549736

Yet you want players to be more controlled by blizz? LOL.

Not really, I really want free market trade.

But if they can't/won't put that in RoS, my idea is like the absolutely bare minimum for allowing some kind of trade in the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]