Diablo® III

Upcoming Hotfix - Shard of Hate (4/15)

(Sticky)

Community Manager
As with other recent hotfixes, we’ve got one coming up shortly that we wanted to give the community a heads up about, this time regarding the legendary Shard of Hate. We’ve been closely observing our internal reports as well as player feedback on the Shard of Hate and the general consensus is that this item feels wildly out of line compared to other items. After digging in behind the scenes, we discovered a couple of bugs with this item that we believe is the ultimate culprit.

First, the internal cooldown of this item’s power was being reset each time a dual-wielding character attacked with a weapon in their other hand. This meant the effect was occurring twice as often for dual-wielding characters, and with particular skills such as Whirlwind or Tempest Rush that also carry attack speed multipliers, this effect was even more frequent.

Secondly, the proc rate of the item was ignoring the proc scalar of the skill it was used with, which in simple terms caused Shard of Hate’s affix to apply every time a skill was used. Combined with the above issue, this resulted in this Legendary vastly over performing, and even more so with particular builds.

The hotfixes we’re applying correct both of these unintended behaviors and have been added to our 2.0.4 Hotfixes thread. As with all major changes, we hope to provide insight as to why we felt these changes were necessary as well as give context to the decisions we ultimately make.
Edited by Lylirra on 4/15/2014 4:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
guess it easier to nerf 1 leg than buffing all others.

Sigh.
Reply Quote
the weapon was bugged it needed fixing anyone that has one KNEW it was over powered. trust me i'd love it for them to buff every single other legendary to its bugged power but that would be too much work. fix one item, buff hundreds. logical.
Edited by BigJoe#1623 on 4/15/2014 4:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Shouldn't legendaries feel LEGENDARY? I never did understand how they are barely better than the yellow items. Legendaries should be major upgrades. Powerful. I understand there is a bug with this item, but maybe consider buffing Legendaries across the board to make them a bit more exciting/fun and coveted.
Reply Quote
This thread will hit 5,000 replies at the least.
Reply Quote
They ARE NOT nerfing SoH. Did ANYONE actually read the post? They are fixing bugs that cause it to become unintentionally powerful.
Edited by Nessebr#1133 on 4/15/2014 4:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/15/2014 04:45 PMPosted by iNSiPiD1
Thanks for the continual NERFS! Your "reasons" are totally irrelevant, as you have no idea that the "overpowered" feeling is the ONLY thing that makes these games fun! I see you're only interested in making things "balanced" and aren't interested in making the game fun.

As the player base bleeds back into nothingness don't you dare wonder why Blizzard.

There was no nerfs happening what are you even talking about?

The only thing that is happening guys is BUG FIXES.
Reply Quote
Welp, there goes an item that was actually legendary. I guess I can cross that off my list of items to look forward to.
Reply Quote
Item is powerful ->nerf
Item is weak ->ignore

-Blizzard

How can you say "general consensus" based off the opinions of a few people on the forums who have loot envy?
Reply Quote
04/15/2014 04:46 PMPosted by Vyce
04/15/2014 04:45 PMPosted by iNSiPiD1
Thanks for the continual NERFS! Your "reasons" are totally irrelevant, as you have no idea that the "overpowered" feeling is the ONLY thing that makes these games fun! I see you're only interested in making things "balanced" and aren't interested in making the game fun.

As the player base bleeds back into nothingness don't you dare wonder why Blizzard.

There was no nerfs happening what are you even talking about?

The only thing that is happening guys is BUG FIXES.

The item was great, it was fun. The item seriously made you feel like a badass. Now the item will turn back into just about every other legendary item in this game. If this item was "bugged" then the bottom line is they need to BUG more items, because that's what makes them fun. WOW!
Reply Quote
You have nerf the only item that make monk playable in t3+.
Hotfix the monk class now.
Edited by Jihl#2358 on 4/15/2014 4:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
=(
Reply Quote
Anyone who actually thought SoH was working as intended is extremely stupid anyway. You could tell just by reading the description that it wasn't working as intended.

Glad for the nerf. Have one, had my fun with how ludicrously broken it was with Tempest Rush, not using it anymore.

Thanks Blizzard, about time.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
04/15/2014 04:48 PMPosted by Neidbau
Item is powerful ->nerf
Item is weak ->ignore

-Blizzard

That's not exactly what happened here.

The item was working incorrectly and ignoring the proc rate of abilities when dual wielding.

This is actually just a bug fix. =)
Edited by Drothvader#1215 on 4/15/2014 4:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
this was expected. No one should be surprised. The weapon was not working as intended when it can proc 100% and have no CD (when it says CHANCE ON HIT).
Now it should be inline with Thunderfury and Ody.
Edited by Jeremy#1212 on 4/15/2014 4:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm normally all for bug fixes.

However this time, I'm not so sure it's the right call. Shard of Hate was THE legendary for RoS. It was fan-made, rare, and powerful. It had a long event where the community built it from scratch.

It gave players something crazy to aim for. It felt mythic.

I still haven't found one, and I've played a LOT since RoS released. I regret not being able to use it while it was truly an epic item.

Something like Shard of Hate, the poster item for RoS, -should- be overpowered. If it was unintentionally overpowered, then that just adds to the item's mystique.
Reply Quote
Cannot wait for this.

SoH on a WW barb is beyond out of control.
Reply Quote
Finally a fix for a clearly broken item. Nice to hear that it's getting fixed.

Here comes the fallout, "dunt fix my broken stuf cuz it dont mattah" crowd.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]