Diablo® III

Lore Questions

Being more powerful than others is not that uncommon.
Not even in our world.

Think for instance Bruce Lee.
He was an exceptional martial artist, he had both darned massive strength (think of for instance his 2-finger push ups, just to name a thing), insane agility, speed, reaction time, stamina, intellect (he was a Eastern phylosopher, for one)...

He was a 'super hero' in his own way.
Like him compared to 'the general population', the D3 true superheroes are similar: exceptions in the masses.
Reply Quote
That was not the topic, Leisa. :P
Reply Quote
04/17/2014 04:33 AMPosted by Leisa
04/16/2014 07:08 PMPosted by Nevalistis
Nephalem are indeed the offspring of angel and demon, the first of which were spawned by the angel Inarius and the demoness Lilith. As the nephalem grew in power, Inarius and Lilith came into conflict about what the future of these children might be, and Lilith slaughtered Inarius' followers to prevent the potential eradication of her children. For her deeds, she was banished back to the Burning Hells.

After these events, Inarius retuned the Worldstone, the ancient artifact responsible for the creation of Sanctuary (and indirectly, the creation of mankind), causing it to fade the power of the nephalem. Over time, this resulted in the nephalem "evolving" into the humans we see in Sanctuary in present time.

After the events of Diablo II, the Worldstone was destroyed. As the Worldstone was responsible for holding back the power of the nephalem, we have begun to see these powers awaken once more, revealing modern day nephalem (including the heroes of Diablo III).

More information on these events can be found in many of our lore books in-game (especially in Pandemonium Fortress in Act V), as well as in the Book of Tyrael and Book of Cain.

I wish you put this much effort to address all the concern on the recent nerf and pitiful legendary items which are basically glorified rares.

That's not the nature of their job. The patch notes explain the nerf. The nail that sticks up gets hammered. Some legendary items will inevitably be better than others. It's necessary to have a smooth power progression instead of a sudden leap to ultimate power. These lesser items supply crafting materials and a bridge to better legendary items.

Some Nephalem are more accomplished for the same reasons some humans are more accomplished. Training and genetics. It's greyhounds and dachsunds. Both are dogs but it's obvious one will run faster.
Reply Quote
are you for real?
Reply Quote
04/16/2014 10:07 PMPosted by L0NEW0LF
04/16/2014 09:14 PMPosted by Scrangos

Edit: I have no idea why the angels didnt exterminate all humans the second the worldstone broke. They knew that was the lock on the nephalem powers. And risking the eternal war on letting humans run loose seems silly.

How about what Zoltun Kulle said? Act 3. Angiris Council tried to eliminate all humans, but Tyrael voted against it.

That decision was made when the angels came down and banished lilith and took inarius. Nephalem were already in the process or outright locked down by the worldstone. Not much to fear to fear at this point I think and they still almost got exterminated.

When a single nephalem comes and curbstomps diablo that pretty much on his own took down the high heavens id be pretty damn worried if I were the angels. Whats gonna happen a thousand years down the line? common bandits from sanctuary could topple the heavens and hell singlehandedly? :x Though too late at this point, if they tried anything the nephalem could just stroll in and destroy the crystal arch.
Edited by Scrangos#1518 on 4/17/2014 5:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/17/2014 12:59 AMPosted by TeHSchwann
If this is all true, then how do the heroes from the previous titles... Well, do what they do?

If all the Nephalem power is locked up inside the World Stone, and it takes a Nephalem to conquer evil as powerful as the Prime Evils, then how did our D1 and D2 characters ever stand a chance? (Plot hole!)

Not really. Diablo in D1 was just a prime evil possessing a young boy, Diablo in D2 was a possessed warrior and thus was a bit harder of a fight but was still just one of the prime evils. Diablo in D3 is all the prime evils fused together and is thus a lot more powerful and was able to overwhelm Heaven until the Nephalem stopped him.
Edited by Philmors#1843 on 4/17/2014 5:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/16/2014 07:08 PMPosted by Nevalistis
Nephalem are indeed the offspring of angel and demon, the first of which were spawned by the angel Inarius and the demoness Lilith. As the nephalem grew in power, Inarius and Lilith came into conflict about what the future of these children might be, and Lilith slaughtered Inarius' followers to prevent the potential eradication of her children. For her deeds, she was banished back to the Burning Hells.

After these events, Inarius retuned the Worldstone, the ancient artifact responsible for the creation of Sanctuary (and indirectly, the creation of mankind), causing it to fade the power of the nephalem. Over time, this resulted in the nephalem "evolving" into the humans we see in Sanctuary in present time.

After the events of Diablo II, the Worldstone was destroyed. As the Worldstone was responsible for holding back the power of the nephalem, we have begun to see these powers awaken once more, revealing modern day nephalem (including the heroes of Diablo III).

More information on these events can be found in many of our lore books in-game (especially in Pandemonium Fortress in Act V), as well as in the Book of Tyrael and Book of Cain.

Is it true that Nephalem are 25 foot tall giants?
Reply Quote
Like it has been said, read the Sin War. All answers for the questions made here are in there and some more.
Who started the necromancer's class.?
How powerful can a Nephalem be? Ridiculously, all our characters combined are nothing in cmparison. This was hinted at the cutscene after Malthael's demise.
Who is Trag'oul (necro set from D2)?
Who was "The Prophet" that the enchantress always talk about?
Why Tyrael voted for humanity?
Reply Quote
View profile
Like it has been said, read the Sin War. All answers for the questions made here are in there and some more.Who started the necromancer's class.?How powerful can a Nephalem be? Ridiculously, all our characters combined are nothing in cmparison. This was hinted at the cutscene after Malthael's demise.Who is Trag'oul (necro set from D2)?Who was "The Prophet" that the enchantress always talk about?Why Tyrael voted for humanity?

Indeed, the Sin War does answer quite a bit. I may have some information on these questions as I've read many of the books.

Some Nephalem are more powerful than others because they've been awakened. Humans are Nephalem who have not discovered how to use their powers, it takes special training and for someone to awaken the powers within. Lilith awakened Uldyssian.

The Necromancers aren't considered Nephalem just yet from what I've read, they're a cult of humans who've been touched by "The Dragon" (who could very well be Trang'oul). I do not believe Necromancers could awaken Nephalem powers within another, as most Nephalem powers are based on natural prowess or the manipulation of energy, very few nephalem powers involve death as a mana source (save for maybe the witch doctor, but that's debatable).
Reply Quote
View profile

i knew we didn't "evolve" from monkeys.. im going to tell my paleontology professor right now!

We didn't, we evolved from apes. Mostly Orangutans.
Reply Quote
So what your saying is....Imperious is totally gonna try to re-make the worldstone and get us under-control that way...

If we do have to fight Imperious, can we please not kill him. He's my favorite Angel.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
04/16/2014 07:40 PMPosted by Virgo4Ever
Lilith was said to be banished to "the Abyss" which is supposed to be wholly different from the Burning Hells.

Ah, you totally got me on that! Good catch. :) Clearly my brain's still a little addled from PAX East this week!
Reply Quote
04/17/2014 07:29 AMPosted by Nevalistis
04/16/2014 07:40 PMPosted by Virgo4Ever
Lilith was said to be banished to "the Abyss" which is supposed to be wholly different from the Burning Hells.

Ah, you totally got me on that! Good catch. :) Clearly my brain's still a little addled from PAX East this week!

Hey I was at PAX East and you were mean to me....

Just saying, maybe give me a Thunderfury and I'll be ok.

(you also totes ignored my tweet yesterday)
Edited by Garandhero#1177 on 4/17/2014 7:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/17/2014 07:01 AMPosted by Garandhero
So what your saying is....Imperious is totally gonna try to re-make the worldstone and get us under-control that way...

If we do have to fight Imperious, can we please not kill him. He's my favorite Angel.

Screw that hes kind of a jack@$$, lets kill the hell outta him.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]