Diablo® III

"All sources" in elemental exposure...

I couldn't find the reply I'm after in other forums... possibly because the responses are in English or American... and I need it in Australian.

Is the 'all sources' of damage just limited to 5-20% increase (depending on stack) to your end output, or is is is applied to each element of the maths (e.g. increase to the skill damage, then to the +elemental% damage, then to the +elite% damage, and to critical damage; or similar)?

A straight 5-20% increase seems quite underwhelming for having to have 4 elemental attacks on one's build thus the Q.
Reply Quote
Didn't get what you after.

Say you have 1mil sheet dps, and 100% Fire on gear. When using "fire" skills your output comes to 2mil. In the same setup having "Cold" skill and using it gives 1mil as per sheet (just to make simple no crits etc. in math).

So having 4 elemental attacks in one build is not efficient in current game mechanics, but can be fun to play :)
Reply Quote
Damage is multiplicative, so it’s the same which ever layer of dmg you apply first. Eg, Say your base dps is 100k. And you have a 30% elites from SOJ and 20% fire dmg. Then say you do a fire attack to an elite – there are 2 scenarios:
1. 100k * 1.2 * 1.3 = 156k or;
2. 100k * 1.3 * 1.2 = 156k.
Reply Quote
The second part of the question is whether it’s efficient in terms of dmg.

Keep in mind that Elemental Exposure isnt a buff for your character. It’s a debuff for the mob affected. When soloing, its not efficient. But when you put 4 stacks on a mob, all your team mates get a 20% buff.
Reply Quote
View profile
Can someone explain "How element exposure passive works exactly"? is probably the best question.

Do you need to do 4 different elemental attacks for it to stack.
I mean "do I need to attack with fire, arcane, cold and lightning all at the same time for it to work at its fullest?"

Because I've seen people equip element exposure and go nothing but fire element build, and I'm thinking there wasting a passive that probably only works on multiple elements and not just one element.

Also I'm wondering if element exposure works on Mirror Images or Magic Weapon since they all have a arcane element to those skills.
I tried Arcane, fire and cold build once to see if noticed any difference in damage, and tried to see if element exposure actually works just using 3 elements but I'm no expert at looking a Crit damage flashing over monster heads to see the difference in numbers.

I have to say elemental exposure can be one confusing passive if you don't know how it works or seeing if it actually is working or not.
You have to play around with all different skills to see if its working.
Also it only last for 5 seconds unless you keep refreshing the damage and so it can be hard to see the difference in damage in just 5 seconds.
A timer would be great to show it's working or something and each time you stack it, it should show the number of stacks.
Reply Quote
It’s not hard at all. If you set up correctly, you can proc all 4 elements in 1 single hit. I know I do.

Eg, use storm armor(lightning), familiar sparkflint(fire), the skill arcane torrent(arcane), any cold weapon(cold).

You can use this template for any combination. Say you have a Burning Axe of Sankis(fire). Then I’d use storm armor(lightning), familiar(icycle), the skill disintegrate(arcane)
Reply Quote
View profile
I've tried with 3 elements but I've now worked it out how to do 4.

I've sort of tried this combination:

Shock pulse - living lightning (lightning of course)
Arcane Orb - scorch (fire)
Blackhole - spellsteal (arcane)
Frost Nova - Bone chill (cold) or Deep freeze (up to 5 enemies for extra critical hits)

Which is a nice combination since you pull enemies in with Blackhole and then freeze them with Frost Nova and then attack with primary and secondary attacks which are Lightning and Fire.

So basically you get extra damage from Blackhole - spellsteal per enemy hit and also if you hit with Frost Nova while they are hit with Blackhole then Frost Nova's - Deep freeze would easily get up to 5 enemies or more for a 10% gain in CHC.
Then you just burn them with Arcane Orb scorch and then use while using living lightning for very fast critical hits.

But also you can use Frost Nova - Bone chill instead since you do more damage while enemies are frozen.

There's quite a bit of combinations to try and go with, but there are some skills like Mirror Images or even Magic weapon I do question if they even count altogether in the elemental exposure passive since these skills still have elements to them.
Well Magic weapon does have different element on different runes but Mirror Images is all arcane.
But also Mirror Mimics has your clones do 20% more damage.
So you could do quite bit of extra damage if you get the combination right.

Another thing too is that people are collecting nothing but 1 element and only focusing on 1 element.
But if you really want a powerful elemental exposure toon then you have to collect gear with +% skills increase in all 4 elements.
So you need to mix and match element skill increase.
But whether you be able to do high Torment levels is another question, since collecting and focusing on 1 element your probably far stronger than mixed element gear toon.
I haven't seen any one here made a 4 element toon build with all 4 +% skill increase in all 4 elements.
I have seen a lot of people only focusing on 1 element.
So I guess its something to try out once you get the right gear first.

Magefist or cindercoat good for fire element - or firebirds source.
Moonlight ward amulet good for collecting Arcane since it can go up to 25%.
Stormcrow helm - good for lightning or Andariel's Visage can be rolls to any element.
Then find some bracers that can roll for Cold element or use Azurewrath since that rolls cold element.
Azurewrath and firebirds source and go well together since you have cold and fire.
Edited by MaskedReaper#6672 on 5/30/2014 8:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
My wiz applies all 4 stacks at once as well, it's pretty fun

Arcane - Familiar - Cannoneer (splash damage)
Fire - Magic Weapon - Ignite (burn DoT)
Lightning - Thunderfury - the lightning damage on the weapon + the proc
Cold - Magic Missile - Glacial Spike - cold wiz, so I use cold spells

I also use the passive that gives +10% damage on enemies chilled/frozen by me, still looking for more items to make her better, but I'm liking how it feels at the moment
Reply Quote
View profile
Just being reading into EE and found out a few things.

Magic Weapon does not apply a stack unless it's Ignite rune, but all other base "arcane" ones don't.
Not sure about Electrify rune though which is lightning rune.

Also Mirror Images and Hydra does not work either since the attacks aren't done by you.
Familiar however does apply a stack.

Though it is interesting that it say element damage from your weapon contributes to elemental exposure.
But I guess its best to stay away from poison or holy on weapons unless the element is converted by the element of your skills.
Hmm...I guess I'm learning something every day.
Reply Quote
You apply a stack from your weapon, so you can use that to skip an element on your skill bar. In my case that was Lightning, but the TF also has a lightning proc on it as well, so I've got 2 for the price of one.

I think the Magic Weapon may have to have another effect on it so that it's "adding something else" to your damage, like the lightning and the fire runes do, I think the other ones are just +% damage and are given an element purely because everything has elements on it now (and all the Wiz "base elements" are arcane)

I think the best way to build for it is to still use your main element as your main source of damage, and then just have the other skills their to pop EE more than anything else.
Could be a bad example, but I have a friend who plays a mostly Arcane Wiz that has a nicely rolled Magefist, who's main damage comes from Disintegrate and Meteor, but hasn't changed from the Meteor Shower (Fire) rune or switched Frost Nova off his skillbar, so EE and the Tal Ra's set bonuses were actually quite good for him, think he had a Thundergod's belt to try and proc the Lightning EE/Meteor. I guess really, you want to keep it so that you're still having fun with it

Thinking about that, it now seems kind of obvious that the set and the passive were made to be used together
Edited by xRageamok#6854 on 5/31/2014 1:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/30/2014 10:29 AMPosted by MaskedReaper
Just being reading into EE and found out a few things.

Magic Weapon does not apply a stack unless it's Ignite rune, but all other base "arcane" ones don't.
Not sure about Electrify rune though which is lightning rune.

Pretty sure Electrify bolts don't hit the targeted enemy and only the surrounding ones... so it still applies a stack for EE, but not to the targeted enemy.
Reply Quote
Is the 'all sources' of damage just limited to 5-20% increase (depending on stack) to your end output, or is is is applied to each element of the maths (e.g. increase to the skill damage, then to the +elemental% damage, then to the +elite% damage, and to critical damage; or similar)?

A straight 5-20% increase seems quite underwhelming for having to have 4 elemental attacks on one's build thus the Q.

Elemental Exposure
  • Damaging enemies with Arcane, Cold, Fire or Lightning will cause them to take 5% more damage from all sources for 5 seconds. Each different damage type applies a stack, stacking up to 4 times.
  • Elemental damage from your weapon contributes to Elemental Exposure.

• Elemental Exposure does NOT increase your damage, it increases the damage the mobs take.
    It applies a debuff to the mobs, there is a difference.
    All sources means the debuff your attacks place on the mobs is shared with other players, this aspect alone can make it worth your while to use this passive.
    You will NOT want to stack multiple elemental damage bonuses on you tiems, stick to 1 element as your main damage dealer.

See link for more info;
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Wizards/wiki/elementaldamage#wiki_elemental_exposure
    Edited by identicus#1531 on 6/2/2014 7:31 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    06/02/2014 07:16 AMPosted by identicus

Elemental Exposure
  • Damaging enemies with Arcane, Cold, Fire or Lightning will cause them to take 5% more damage from all sources for 5 seconds. Each different damage type applies a stack, stacking up to 4 times.
  • Elemental damage from your weapon contributes to Elemental Exposure.

• Elemental Exposure does NOT increase your damage, it increases the damage the mobs take.
    It applies a debuff to the mobs, there is a difference.
    All sources means the debuff your attacks place on the mobs is shared with other players, this aspect alone can make it worth your while to use this passive.
    You will NOT want to stack multiple elemental damage bonuses on you tiems, stick to 1 element as your main damage dealer.

Woah hang on a minute your saying sticking to 1 element when the passive works on 4 elements...so aren't you going against EE itself, because technically your probably doing it wrong.
    If your only focusing on 1 element then EE is totally gonna be a waste of a passive to use.
    If you really want to get strong on 1 element then fine but you might as well not use EE at all.

This topic is to explain how EE works and get the most out of it and your explanation didn't really help.
    See this is what makes this passive so confusing since we NEED to explain in layman's terms to explain it all and not some technical jargon.

So 1 Element does 5% damage debuff for 5 seconds.
    But in order to get up to 20% does that mean I have to attack with all 4 elements to get 4 stacks within 5 seconds.
    Because it saids this:
    3.Each debuff is independent. The debuff effect from one element lasts 5 seconds, no matter how you use other elements. Using a new element doesn't extend the debuff of another element.
    So basically that means each element doesn't extend the timer...but then how do you get up to 20% then if they are all independent.
    How does it exactly stack up to 4 times?

1. Attack with Arcane which does 5% for 5 second then lightning for 5% for 5 second then Cold for 5% for 5 seconds and then finally Fire for 5% for 5 seconds.

2. Or is it try an attack with each 4 elements within 5 seconds.
    But the problem I see with this is that its very hard to attack with 4 elements within 5 seconds because each skill has its own speed of attack and time of release of each attack and connecting.
    Like I might attack with 4 elements but it might not be within 5 seconds of each other so there for I might not be getting the stacks correctly...if you know what I mean.

What I'm asking is how exactly do I know I'm doing or getting 4 stacks?
    Like I could be only get getting 2 to 3 stacks to connect even though I'm using 4 elements due to the timing of each attack.

Another question if your only using 1 element(say fire) and then if I attack with 4 different skills of nothing but Fire element skills does that mean it's STILL only 5% and will not stack any further than 5% because your only using Fire skills.

From what I can sort of understand is that each element has its own timer of 5 seconds.
    So if you attack with each 4 elements then that is 4 different timers for each element because they are independent.
    But to make sure your getting up to 20% then each attack must all meet within all 4 element timers.
    So basically all 4 elements within 5 seconds....well that's what I like to know if true or not.

So what I said before I attack with arcane for 5% which last for 5 second, then attack with lightning which give me another 5% as long as I'm within the 5 second timer of my previous attack which was arcane.
    So by the time I attack with Cold and Fire the timer of arcane will have already run out and there for I probably haven't got the full 20% because the arcane timer has expired long before I managed to attack with fire...if this can explain the timer issue that I'm taking about.
    Edited by MaskedReaper#6672 on 6/2/2014 1:05 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    06/02/2014 07:16 AMPosted by identicus

06/02/2014 11:38 AMPosted by MaskedReaper
    Woah hang on a minute your saying sticking to 1 element when the passive works on 4 elements...so aren't you going against EE itself, because technically your probably doing it wrong.
    If your only focusing on 1 element then EE is totally gonna be a waste of a passive to use.
    If you really want to get strong on 1 element then fine but you might as well not use EE at all.

I'm sorry I thought I was clear, perhaps I should have elaborated, I said stick to 1 element as main damage dealer, not ONLY use that 1 element, you still have to get the other 3 elements into your attack, but they don't have to be prioritized to do a great deal of damage, IMHO you don't want to stack all 4 element + elemental damage items, you can activate the EE debuff without reworking all you items for every element.

The 5 seconds each element debuff lasts is long enough if you set up you skills intelligently.
    xRageamok's example a great way to simply and easily activate all 4 elements and still focus all damage on a single element type, 'cold' in his case.

05/30/2014 08:14 AMPosted by xRageamok
    My wiz applies all 4 stacks at once as well, it's pretty fun

Arcane - Familiar - Cannoneer (splash damage)
    Fire - Magic Weapon - Ignite (burn DoT)
    Lightning - Thunderfury - the lightning damage on the weapon + the proc
    Cold - Magic Missile - Glacial Spike - cold wiz, so I use cold spells

I also use the passive that gives +10% damage on enemies chilled/frozen by me, still looking for more items to make her better, but I'm liking how it feels at the moment

- - -

This topic is to explain how EE works and get the most out of it and your explanation didn't really help.

Sorry my initial post was in reference to OP question.

In relation to the best way to apply the EE debuff.
    1. Get 4 active elemental skills (Electrocute, Frost Nova, Black Hole, Meteor) stack 4 element items damage buffs (SoJ +Ice, Andariels's +Fire, Bracers +Ice, Ammy +Arcane) and rotate skills in 5 seconds to constantly apply debuff to mobs.
    2. Focus item elemental damage on 1 element, and get the other 3 element damage types in as secondary (Weapon Base Element, Familiar, Force Weapon-Ignite, Weapon proc)

IMHO I believe the 1 option is not the way to go, for myself stacking a single elemental damage type (2) and getting the other 3 element debuffs on mobs from secondary sources is simpler and yields better results.

See this is what makes this passive so confusing since we NEED to explain in layman's terms to explain it all and not some technical jargon.

Sorry let me explain buff vs debuff
    Buff, a positive effect on the recipient. (A example of a Buff is Barbarian's Battle Cry to strengthen himself and other characters)
    Debuff, negative effect on the recipient. (A example of a Debuff is Barbarian War Cry that lowers mob defense stats)
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    Thanks identicus for that but I think it would be better to say what I do know and ask for what I don't know.

First few things I do know.
    1. I know all about collecting +% element to all skills items.
    2. Skills with elements attached to each rune.
    3. Items with buffs.
    4. Skills that cause buffs and debuffs...I already know all the skills.

I know all the pretty much the simple stuff.

The stuff I'm starting to know now that are bit more complicated:
    1. Element on weapon and also contributes to stacking.
    This part is actually handy to know since you can collect a weapon with say Lightning element and then not need to use any other lightning skills because you already have the lightning element stacked on your weapon (say Thunderfury).

The confusing part was that each element was independent with it's own timer and using any other element does NOT extend the timer.
    So it makes me question that all 4 elements MUST all hit say 1 enemy for 4 stacks WITHIN 5 Seconds in order to get maximum of 20% debuff.

So in overall you really need to focus all your 4 element attacks all at the same time and within each other.

Another good example of how long 5 seconds actually is...Say Arcane Orb - scorch rune (fire).
    Scorch leaves a fire trail and burns enemies for 5 seconds.
    The fire trail itself is a good timer to indicated how long 5 second game time actually is.
    So if you attack with Arcane Orb - scorch and then managed to attack with 3 other elements within that scorch timer then you know your getting 4 stacks to connect.

But what's even more handy to the 5 second timer is element of your weapon contributes to 1 stack as well.
    So if you have Thunderfury (lightning) and attack with Arcane Orb - scorch rune (fire) then your already doing 2 stacks because your doing lightning and fire at the same time.

So I really start to understand the EE passive it's just getting the right skills to work well together.
    Also I really have to think about finding a good weapon with the right element that I want to use with the skills I like to use.
    So I do wish my chantodo's wand was probably a lightning element or fire element so I can use Arcane Orb - Frozen orb skill.
    My signature move can be Shock pulse with either living lightning (lightning rune) or Power affinity (arcane rune) which helps with APoC.

But since I'm using Blackhole - spellsteal I'm already using Arcane.
    But like you said identicus is that you should focus on 1 element that you use most often.

So it do question myself what + % elemental skills should I focus on?
    Should I focus on Arcane/Cold build since I mainly use Blackhole -spellsteal (arcane) and Arcane Orb - Frozen Orb (cold) at the most of times.
    So my secondary is can be fire and lightning...so I should probably find a weapon that has either fire or lightning...depending on my signature skills that I choose.

It does get me a lot to think about and hunting for particular items...but at the same time it's frustrating to get the +% element on items you want.
    Edited by MaskedReaper#6672 on 6/2/2014 11:46 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    In theory you could have 4 differently skilled Wizards all using EE (1 wizard for Arcane, 1 for Cold, etc) but each wizard by themself would probably feel like they were wasting a passive

MaskedReaper, I don't play my Wizard a lot, but with Blackhole being the cooldown spell that it is, it feels a lot more like a support spell than a main damage dealer to me, so I would say if you're using Frozen Orb to deal the majority of your damage, then try and stick to cold gear.

I also think that both your signature spell and major spender should be your main element, so you get the most damage that you can out of them.

I'm fairly certain that only the Fire and Lightning Runes for Magic Weapon apply the EE stacks, with the Fire being a bit more reliable than the Lightning, specifically against your target. I don't actually know how the interaction works there.
    Familiar has everything but a Lightning Rune, which is nice to fill out whichever part of EE that you're missing
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    Yeah I like to go Cold/Arcane due to having cold for Frozen Orb and Arcane for Archon when I complete Vyr's set.

Since I can switch to Shock Pulse - power affinity signature which is Arcane so basically I can focus on both Arcane and cold.
    But whether or not I want to keep using EE passive or not is only determined by my skills and gear that I find.
    So right the moment I'm only trying EE to see if it's worth using.
    But it sort of is worth using from time to time as I like to experiment with different skills and passives.

But yeah its true I should get my female second wiz up to lvl 70 and focus on another build...maybe firebirds fire build or something.
    I will keep my male wiz for Vyr's and female wiz for firebirds and then maybe switch to Tal Rasha build gear when I see fit...well once I have all Tal's gear.
    Reply Quote
    Thanks for all the discussion and explanations folks. Cleared up EE for me totally!

I'm not sure it's my thing esp after getting Mykens last night... my lightning wizard just stuns more now so I might stay as lightning.

My bro on the other hand is looking for a Wiz build so something along the lines of:

- Glacial Spike or Cold Spectral Blades with Frozen Orb for cold (he likes his melee wizards thus spectral blades)
    - Magic Weapon fire rune
    - Thunderfury for lightning (of which he already has an Int one from playing as his WD)
    - Familiar with Cannoneer for arcane

Obviously, he'll be stacking +cold damage. Knowing him, he'll probably want Blackhole with Spellsteal for added debuff and probably teleport to get around or an armour. But the build looks good for party games.

I'll probably help him build this one by powerleveling his Wiz.
    Edited by Mugsy#6765 on 6/3/2014 6:14 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    @Masked Reaper, Vyr's set will make your archon use whichever damage type you have stacked the highest, so if it's cold it will be using all your bonus cold% on top of the skill damage

@Mugsy, that's pretty much what my skill set is exactly (and I'm having a lot of fun with it) and the bonus is that if he's using EE and stacking it that well, then you won't even need to worry about that passive yourself in any way at all
    Edited by xRageamok#6854 on 6/3/2014 6:51 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    06/03/2014 06:50 AMPosted by xRageamok
    @Masked Reaper, Vyr's set will make your archon use whichever damage type you have stacked the highest, so if it's cold it will be using all your bonus cold% on top of the skill damage

Yeah I already know about this...but this has nothing to do with EE passive though.

Also I've learnt about the Archon rune ability - "Arcane Destruction" when you have the full Vyr's set in that depending on what Archon rune you have set to will determine the amount of extra damage of Arcane Destruction skill from the highest element you have.

e.g if you focused on either Arcane, cold, fire or lightning element the you must choose rune element on Archon that relates to your highest element, so that Arcane Destruction gains the best damage from +% element skills.

You don't need to select Arcane Destruction rune to get the best out of Arcane Destruction unless your highest element is the same element as the Arcane Destruction rune.
    This is quite handy information to know when you collect the full Vyr's set.

But I've also learnt that Vyr's set mainly focuses on Arcane element first before every other element.
    But it mainly all comes down to what your highest +% element skill damage is.
    Edited by MaskedReaper#6672 on 6/5/2014 10:12 AM PDT
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]