Diablo® III

Old Infernal Machine keys and Hellfire ring

Tried looking for the answer to this but couldn't find any other threads about it on the web.

I'm looking at doing an uber carry for a mate who's got his first toon up to lvl65 atm.

I can in no way carry him at T6(70) but am thinking that I can probably do T6(65) with my bro helping out (and maybe another clan member who's online at the time) or wait till my mate gets his second toon to lvl60.

Thus we need to get a few more of the old infernal machines together to maximise our chances of getting my mate all the HF ring parts. I have 6 still and I think my bro has one.

So if I'm to farm for some more of the old keys with my bro, can one of us host a T6 game with a lvl60-69 toon (preferably lvl60) and the other goes in with an OP lvl70 toon and both of us could drop the old keys? Or will the non-70 toon be the only one to drop old keys and the lvl70 toon drops the new keys?

Should I do this at T5 instead and try to get more machines lined up?
Reply Quote
View profile
Old keys huh!
Hmm...I'm not sure you can still get the old keys once you have RoS.
I know for a fact that a lvl 70 character cannot farm for old keys as you will only get new keys.

If a person who hasn't got RoS and still only lvl 60 can most probably farm for old keys.
But trying to farm old keys from 60-69 is almost pointless because by the time you get enough keys your already gonna be lvl 70 and the lvl 60 hellfire ring is probably gonna be a bit useless to use.
Also you don't know if the keywardens will actually drop the keys.

Personally I never even tried to make a hellfire ring since I never had the need to level up fast.
Also your mate is lvl 65 and it's seriously not gonna take long to level up to 70...so you don't need a hellfire ring.
I think hellfire rings are a bit pointless.

Also doing T5 or even T6 is too crazy for low level toons as it's like shoot a pellet gun at a heavy armed tank. LOL
Not only it take too long to kill one monster but you get one shotted so easily and it might be funny at first but after awhile it gets tiring.

I once did Whimsyshire with a low lvl toon and yes it made me level up quite fast because you fighting lvl 30 pony's and teddybears with a lvl 10 toon.
But the pony's just one shotted me every single time.
It was funny but I couldn't kill anything fast enough, but I did manage to gain about 2 or maybe 3 levels...but the problem is that is takes too damn long to kill something.
Also it's a pain on your fingers since spent so much time trying to kill an elite pony or teddy bear that you just play anymore due to sore fingers.

So a bit of a word of warning of trying to play at super hard difficulty with low level toons.
You may level up fast but that doesn't mean you can kill fast enough.
Reply Quote
Hmm.. I read somewhere months ago that old keys open old portals.. i.e. level 60 portals, so you should only be able to get level 60 mats (organs). You can't get Uber Diablo with old keys, that's certain.

Having said that, I have around 180 (maybe a little more) machines (yes, from D3V).

Whatever level the character that opens the game is the level the game will be set at. When they level up, so does the game. Other toons, no matter the level, will get be playing on that level too. This means that you can bring in an OP level 70 toon and melt mobs whilst the others hang behind.

Not sure if keys drop at all unless you're level 70. I think the only restriction is you need to be playing torment level for keys to drop at all. If what MaskedReaper says is correct, then you shouldn't be able to get any keys until you're level 70 and playing in at least torment 1... but yeah, I don't know that's 100% accurate information.

Any drops will be tuned to the individual toon, so if it's possible for keys to drop under level 70, then as long as you engage the key warden once, you can still get drops from them no matter who kills it.
Reply Quote
The Rift Guardian drops and Uber battle are based on game level. I am not sure if the keys that drop changes at lvl61 or lvl70. You may need to get into a lvl60 game to get the lvl60 organs.

I guess one way to test is to get into a lvl65 game, kill a few key wardens and see what drops.
Reply Quote
Mugsy,I have some old keys and possibly machines you can have. hit me up in game when you are both on and we will work it out.

DISCLAIMER
this is based on my memory being correct
Reply Quote
I can open a bunch if you want.. if I remember correctly, they were all account bound so can't just give them to you :(
Reply Quote
U didn't just think to ask me? :>

The ubers will be at the level and torment that you choose.

Ie, even if ur opening old machines, if u choose T3 and your character is level 70, then the ubers will be at lvl70 and T3.

For all intents and purposes, the 3 fights will be as hard as if you opened them with new keys. The only difference is that they will still be random (u cant choose which to open). The parts will drop at the old ilvl though. ie, the main stat will be around the 300's and the exp bonus will be 35%.

Do not do T6 at lvl 70 unless you can normally do T6 at lvl 70.
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the responses and offers to open up portals guys - as well as many others who've contacted me ingame with the offer. The generosity of this community never ceases to amaze me!

For those wondering, no, the ring won't be for his soon to be lvl70 toon... it's kinda pointless rolling lvl60 stats when a lvl70 rare ring is better and easier to get good stats on. It's for his other toons who are around lvl3-23.

FWIW, I leveled my Crusader up to 70 mid way through Act 3 through just equipping a Vit HF with 180Vit and 300LR and keeping the difficulty at Torment level. My mate does want to play through the campaign with his other toons first so a Vit HF ring will help him crank up the difficulty and level up faster. And he has a bunch of leveling weapons from me too so, by lvl40 when sticking a Marquise Ruby into a socketed weapon starts to drop in effectiveness, he'll have some new weapons to use.

06/06/2014 01:54 AMPosted by Ryoka
The ubers will be at the level and torment that you choose.

Ie, even if ur opening old machines, if u choose T3 and your character is level 70, then the ubers will be at lvl70 and T3.

So do you mean that the the ubers are dependent on the difficulty level of the game and the character that opens the portal?

Because I was under the impression that the game difficulty and the host's toon level would take precedence in determining the difficulty. But then that's just my assumption based on when I join my mate's games when he's got a lvl40 toon and everything is scaled to lvl40.

So if it's dependent on the player who opens the portal, I ought to be using my lowest level toon that's still lvl60+, my mate should get to lvl70 first and equip all the lvl70 rares I gave him (which should get him to be able to survive in T1) and we should have another two players with OP lvl70 characters.
Reply Quote
OK, I did some more digging (primarily for drop rates) and found this from a blue:

Once you level past 60, the Wardens will no longer drop the keys for the level 60 event. Once you reach level 70, they will begin dropping keys appropriate for the level 70 event. This allows players who choose not to upgrade to Reaper of Souls to be able to continue doing the level 60 event while those who do upgrade can progress through the new Infernal Machine event at 70. :)

The level 60 rings aren't being removed from the game, and you'll be able to craft any remaining keys you have into the appropriate Infernal Machine event and run the 60 event as before. Just bear in mind that level 60 Infernal Machines will spawn the level 60 bosses and cannot be used for the level 70 event.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11913862084#2

So the farming for old keys is out of the question for sure.

And if I'm interpreting what Ryo says correctly, my mate is better off getting to lvl70 first before we hit the ubers.
Edited by Mugsy#6765 on 6/6/2014 2:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks to all who offered to help donate machines for this and thanks to Wazz, Oak and grogan for help with the runs. We got my mate Aro the parts after about 4 sets of ubers (damn eye didn't drop till the 4th try against SB and ZK).

For those who are wondering about how old machines work...

- the ubers are at the difficulty level of the host so Oak used a lvl60 character to host on our 3rd and 4th runs. T6(60) was dead easy for us lvl70 characters.
- Our second run was set to T6(70) for some reason despite Aro being only lvl67 at the time. We think the old HF organs don't drop if the difficulty is at 70 as we kept getting 0. Wasted run that was from an organ gathering point of view but my WD who can normally only take T4 rifts in teams and can only do T2 comfortably in solo had not too many issues. SB and ZK was a pain. ZK's fireball in particular was annoying. Keeping one's distance when attacking and skills like Spirit Walk and Smoke Screen are useful if you intend to block ZK's fireball with your face.

Hope this helps others do an uber carry for those who've yet to get a HF still or are starting out post-RoS.

All up, it was fun to do a few ubers again and get a few more ring parts. Aro is at 1.75mil gold so close to getting the HF ring plans. Leveling up his other toons will be much quicker and his Barb is at lvl68 now too and we're just shy of fighting Malthael in the campaign (I'm leveling up my melee DH with him). I've given him a bunch of lvl70 rares that should get him to be able to do T1(70) comfortably upon hitting 70 so we will have another Aussie to join us for rifts soon.

And perhaps it's time I started farming for lvl70 keys :-)
Reply Quote
Aro rolled a HF with

- +damage (30-60 or something)
- 322 vit
- 700-ish life regen
- 84 AR

Exactly what we wanted in a ring to get his other toons to 70 by playing the campaign.

And my melee DH is at 70 too after all that!
Reply Quote
Hey mugsy. I've seen you online briefly, but by the time I actually start playing, you're usually already offline.

It's Queens Birthday public holiday tomorrow so if you're on tonight after 11pm, we'll have some games. Made as many machines as I could from the keys I had left and ended up with 23x machines with a couple 100 stacks of act 1 keys left :s

I think going for mitigation/eHP on rings is seriously gonna gimp your DPS.. are you guys really hurting for it?
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 12:47 AMPosted by MrDuMa
I think going for mitigation/eHP on rings is seriously gonna gimp your DPS.. are you guys really hurting for it?

Yeah, the idea was to allow his remaining toons (5 classes worth) to up the difficulty to T6 and survive. He's got enough marquise rubies so that he can stick one into a socketed weapon for an instant DPS boost to handle Torment and he's got a few powerleveling weapons I passed to him. The fireball proc also adds some damage too.

That and he can reroll, say damage or AR, to a main stat depending on what class he's using the HF on. Wouldn't have that option if he rolled a different HF and had to enchant on Vit.

I'm just glad he got a good dose of life regen. Mine has got +180vit and 300 life regen and it's like having god mode up till lvl30 on T1/2 so we'll see how far 300 vit and 700 life regen goes. The aim is to level up to 70 by mid Act 3 (which is what I did with my crusader) so that future legendary drops have a chance of being keepers.

Once he hits 70, the HF is no use anymore and he'll be finding a lvl70 ring to replace it.

06/08/2014 12:47 AMPosted by MrDuMa
t's Queens Birthday public holiday tomorrow so if you're on tonight after 11pm, we'll have some games

If I can stay awake, I'm definitely up for it!
Edited by Mugsy#6765 on 6/8/2014 4:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I just finished work and stopping off for some food.

Be home in about half an hour. I don't have awesome DPS, but my build provides pretty good CC. I never used BH before.. I knew that that Event Horizon sucked in enemy projectiles, but didn't know it completely remove Arcane Sentries and Molten Explosions (no boom at all). Don't know if it removes Frozen shards/Pulse, Poison enchants or Thunderstorm pulses but if it does, it's even safer to use.

I'll at least be able reduce the amounts of crap on screen with.. my crap on screen :)
Reply Quote
06/07/2014 09:09 PMPosted by Mugsy
Aro rolled a HF with

- +damage (30-60 or something)
- 322 vit
- 700-ish life regen
- 84 AR

Exactly what we wanted in a ring to get his other toons to 70 by playing the campaign.

Nice, Avg Damage and with the other stats he will be unkillable in the early/mid levels.
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 05:57 AMPosted by MrDuMa
Be home in about half an hour.

Sorry bout not hanging around on Sunday night mate. Was dozing off by about 10:30pm and eventually just had to crash. Will catch you the next time we're on together.

06/09/2014 11:49 PMPosted by Oakover
Nice, Avg Damage and with the other stats he will be unkillable in the early/mid levels.

Yeah, I was surprised he pretty much got the stats he needed to survive at T6 at the lower levels. Originally, the strategy I proposed was to roll the main stat onto what ever was a crappy stat but the damage is decent for low/mid levels and my mate can save some mats and gold now.
Reply Quote
Old HF rings are still very strong. I have an old legacy ring which is still higher dps than my current WD lvl 70 ring.

I'm only using the lvl70 ring for higher exp.
Reply Quote
The keywarden still drops the old keys, between level 60 and 70, and in Torment difficulty. So the host will have to be between that level, doesn't matter if the guests are 70 or not.
Reply Quote
06/10/2014 07:18 PMPosted by Jsachun
The keywarden still drops the old keys, between level 60 and 70, and in Torment difficulty. So the host will have to be between that level, doesn't matter if the guests are 70 or not.

So farming for old keys is now a two person job... I so need another account - lol

(and yes, I do have another computer that runs D3 already)

Anyone who wants to go classic key farming and maybe level up their lvl60 toons, let me know. I have 15 A1 keys, 1 act 3 but no act 2 ones... don't wanna waste those A1 keys. And I kinda enjoy helping new comers get a HF ring.
Reply Quote
I have a couple of accounts so if you need lvl60 games started at any time give me a yell. I can come in on my main account and help with damage. Teach those lvl60 Ubers a lesson.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]