Diablo® III

Message from Rob Pardo

Good Riddance. WoW sucks !@#, Diablo 3 broken mechanics and Disney monsters are not appealing.
Reply Quote
i hope this not a bad sign for d3 I love the game :(
Reply Quote
Good riddance!

"If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me, I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result."

Diablo died with your decisions. Blizzard will never be the same.
Edited by ShaiHulud#1223 on 7/3/2014 3:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If D3 continues on the path it's on, I won't be upset. Will I play it for another decade like I did D2? Probably not. That being said, Blizzard this is really your time to step and show the fans that you can still make incredible games with Rob gone. Now more than ever, it is imperative for you to deliver.
Reply Quote
So sad. Why now? PTR has just started again.
Reply Quote
Logged in just so say THANK YOU. Thank you for all of the great games you have been part of designing. WC3, SC, Diablo 2, WoW TBC... these are literally my childhood. Thank you and good luck in the future!

Hopefully this doesn't have to mean when WC4 eventually comes out (one can only dream) it doesn't end up being completely !@#$ when a figure like Rob Pardo is no longer on the team.
Reply Quote
Thank you for all of your hard work.

Best
Reply Quote
I will forever miss the RMAH

Thank you Rob Pardo for bringing this in for us.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Wow, some of the user comments in this thread are awful and show how angsty people can be.

Well Mr. Pardo, I for one am saddened that you are leaving Blizzard but look forward to hearing what you do next. You will be missed Sir. Keep on keepin on!
Reply Quote
07/03/2014 02:20 PMPosted by Krak
Monday, 21 January 2013

Blizzard chief creative officer Rob Pardo has jumped to Jay Wilson's defence in a 184-page Diablo 3 forum thread that turned nasty.

"If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me," he wrote. "I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result."

"The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard" Rob Pardo

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-21-blizzards-rob-pardo-comes-to-jay-wilsons-defence-as-diablo-3-forum-turns-sour

not sure if related?

If D3 isn't meeting Blizzard's expectations, and they needed to sacrifice someone to leep their shareholders sweet? Yes, maybe. I've been saying for some time that D3 may well have achieved the incredible feat of shrinking its fanbase while selling 15M copies; if Blizzard's coming to the same conclusion, then RP is where the buck would (and probably should) stop, at least for the time being.
Edited by OldSchool#1630 on 7/3/2014 4:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
07/03/2014 12:05 PMPosted by Bryanw1995
Is it too early to tell Bobby Kotick and Michael Morhaime to hire back the POE devs and set them loose on d3 expansions/d4?

Okay who of the big four along with any other D2 developer actually works for GGG. I know it is not David Brevik (Gazillion), Bill Roper (no longer working in game design), Or the two brothers, sorry forgot how to spell their names (Riot Games). I know you made that plug because you were wanting this game to be prettier version of D2.

07/03/2014 12:12 PMPosted by KwShinigami
he did a Hearthstone plug since that is where they can still make money.. all money made in D3 is done.

shame to be cynical but why plug that game and not say anything about playing at a higher level in D3? Ladders? etc?

he never really liked Diablo

How do you think that ones on the Starcraft forums are feeling or even the WoW players. He spent a lot of time helping both games but he still mentions just one. Maybe he has already done all he wanted to in all of the other games and wants to improve in Hearthstone.

07/03/2014 12:12 PMPosted by OldSchool
The man claiming responsibility for the decisions that turned D3 from an awesome-looking PC-centric ARPG, into effectively the PC port of a console title, leaving? A lot depends on who replaces him, but it might be good news for this game, if whoever takes over Diablo's creative director file gives the development team the freedom they need to make this into the game it always should have been. I wonder if they'll maybe re-think the DRM decision now?

I do not think that it was his idea to have this game online only. As far as porting a Diablo game to console D1 was on the PS even though Blizz North did not make the console version. But the company that did had to have Blizz's permission and maybe even had a little bit of help from them as well.
Reply Quote
Hi Rob,

You contributed a massive amount to the immeasurable entertainment and amazing gaming memories I will keep with me. Starcraft was some of the best gaming I have had, and to this day, nothing beats the sheer power and awe of rolling out the siege tanks for the first time. Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

Cheers 0/
Reply Quote
07/03/2014 02:39 PMPosted by Bryanw1995
He wasn't creative director for just d3, but rather for all of blizzard.

True, but he took special responsibility for D3 here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592242994?page=106#2104

The decision to chase the console market with Diablo, in particular, would probably have been his call.
Edited by OldSchool#1630 on 7/3/2014 4:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/03/2014 04:12 PMPosted by ShadowAegis
Okay who of the big four along with any other D2 developer actually works for GGG.

None, that I know of. GGG is all indie upstarts from NZ; the D2 team mostly ended up at Runic Games (Torchlight, Torchlight 2), except for Brevik (Gazillion Games/Marvel Heroes). Chris Wilson at GGG is no relation to Jay Wilson, either.
Reply Quote
View profile
07/03/2014 04:09 PMPosted by OldSchool
If D3 isn't meeting Blizzard's expectations, and they needed to sacrifice someone to leep their shareholders sweet? Yes, maybe. I've been saying for some time that D3 may well have achieved the incredible feat of shrinking its fanbase while selling 15M copies; if Blizzard's coming to the same conclusion, then RP is where the buck would (and probably should) stop, at least for the time being.

I do not think it is what you are thinking it is. You might be reading something into it that is just not there. I say that Jay left Team 3 for safety and security issues. Just think of all of the vile crap that was posted, yes a lot of it was something that could be turned over to the police as possible threats on him and maybe his family.

Pardo, who knows he might be thinking over offers from other gaming companies right now. Or even things other than designing games like Bill Roper is doing working for Walt Disney IIRC.

While he may have guided and direct the team that does not mean he made every decision for them. He no doubt listened to the team and agreed with some of their ideas as well as some of his own. That is how a team functions, otherwise it is not a team and a dictatorship. There is no I in team.
Reply Quote
It does seem a bit odd and out of the blue that someone like Rob one day just posts something like: Hey I think I'm just going to play some games.. after 17 years of work with Blizzard.

The fact that Rob worked on so many titles which are classics and should go down in the history books as some of the greatest games inclines me to believe that whatever happened or whatever the reason that I trust that he had good reason and is not in the wrong.

D3 has some very amazing things about it. It also has some flaws which are only more highlighted by it's potential. I refuse to believe that a person like Rob could have been 100% responsible for every single last decision since he was not the person at Blizzard making the final decisions in all ways. Large companies are motivated by money and things get complex.

What I'd like to say is that if D3 has any sort of financial issues, I personally would not mind a subscription version of it provided that it was advanced and in a manner which was cool enough. There are so many ideas provided by the community (granted not all of them are good) and it's fairly easy to see what people want in general. Give people what they want. Hire me, I'll do it :) I've actually got the technical background to handle it. I don't expect to be taken seriously, but yeah actually I'd do it. I love this game and I hope to see it advance to it's full potential.

Rob: You've earned my respect and I've had many good times playing the games you were involved in creating. I wish only the best for you in whatever you're doing next!
Reply Quote
Best of luck in your future endeavors Mr. Rob Pardo and congratulations on all your success and hard work. Thank you.

As for non-personal, I don't like all these large changing of the guard for this game. Nothing will ever be consistent with this many large position changes. First Jay Wilson and now the CCO, this isn't good for the stability of the game. Too many cooks make a bad meal. Literally the only stable and consistent big wig for the game seems to be Wyatt Cheng.
Edited by MasterJay#1651 on 7/3/2014 4:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Enjoy your summer! And good luck in your future endeavors. Will be interesting to see what your next project will be.
Reply Quote
Can I have your items? :D

Thank you Lord Rob! :D
Reply Quote
Good luck to you Rob!

Thank you for bringing us some awesome games, and I wish you well in your future projects.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]