Diablo® III

Patch 2.1 Monk Preview - Ready yourself !

Dear all,

I am certain that you have seen the new changes introduced to monk in patch 2.1. From increasing the attack speed of our spirit generators to altering the damage numbers of our spirit spenders. Most, if not all changes are for the better, so the real question is, will monks be viable in 2.1 or will they still act as a semi-support class. Such as humble self is, I tried to answer all these questions in this video and elaborate on what exactly these changes mean for monks. As always, here is the link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhhn_UAW3x0&list=UUi4lw72qHjNwznCCD6RLiIQ

However, I will sum up the item sets I believe to be useful here. So if you haven't farmed them already, you really should :)

• Monkey king set (excluding the helm)
  • The flow of eternity (without a socket)
  • Raiment 5 piece with eye of the storm and jawbreaker
  • Ring of royal grandeur with a socket
  • Sunwuko shines (with a socket if you are lucky)
  • This list is small but the items listed will be extremely useful in patch 2.1. The reason behind farming these items is to have a great start in 2.1 using a 2 handed build (which I will be posting soon) or make the most out of your dashing strike raiment build. I have purposefully not included incense torch of the grand temple as I am not sure if the changes to its ability are retroactive, same applies for madstone and depth diggers. If the change will indeed be retroactive, then these items too must be obtained or saved before 2.1 launches.

If you have any questions and suggestions regarding the items, please post them below and I will be sure to answer.

Holy Hermit
    Edited by HolyHermit#2407 on 8/17/2014 10:43 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    (Barring any changes Blizzard makes before the patch is released) As long as you dont mind being the weakest solo class and the weakest group class in the end game the changes are kind of fun. The only thing that may elevate us from the bottom in the current state of things is being a cyclone strike tank for 4 player groups.

Prior to this patch Monks were by far the strongest group class but still the weakest solo class. The only gain in my eyes is the class is a little more fun and versatile in the solo game now but as i said its still also the weakest.
    Edited by Strego#1555 on 8/17/2014 10:59 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    08/17/2014 10:51 AMPosted by Strego
    The only gain in my eyes is the class is a little more fun and versatile in the solo game now but as i said its still also the weakest.

I understand your concern with the class and share it too. But the patch will certainly improve monk and hopefully let us farm on high torments again. This being said, the post is about making the most out of your monk and if you do intend to play with this character, this post should hopefully aid you to make the most out of the class :)
    Reply Quote
    08/17/2014 11:37 AMPosted by HolyHermit
    But the patch will certainly improve monk

No.. i just got done explaining how technically its made the class worse as of today, more fun but worse. They've announced they're releasing this patch officially before the end of the month so the chances of them drastically changing anything at this point are pretty slim but im still hoping they do.

Now is the time to voice concern while there is still a possibility for change. Its not the time to be thankful for the waitress serving you food with a spider in it and discuss the best ways to eat that spider. When the patch goes live ill probably disappear from these forums for a while but in the meantime im trying to do everyone a favor and make a big deal about things b4 its too late.
    Edited by Strego#1555 on 8/17/2014 11:59 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    No.. i just got done explaining how technically its made the class worse as of today, more fun but worse. oo late.

To each his own I'd say.

I'm able to farm T6 quite easily in HC now. I've only done 1 duo game on PTR, T5 without unity and it was ok with a DPS build. Totally unoptimized, so I'm confident T6 in groups is also ok. GR30+ might be hard with DPS, we'll see.

To compare, what did my best DPS monk do on live? Yep, fighting for his dear live in T5 with unity. DPS monks in groups were laughable, T4 max. So for me, a giant improvement!

@HH: Good list, but a FD and Furnace are better than a FoE if you ask me.
    Edited by Hippotion#2165 on 8/17/2014 1:14 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    T6 is a joke now. It is no longer the bar to measure yourself against. When other classes are doing GR 45-50 and Monks get stuck in the 30-35's it will once again feel like the the stuck in T5 while others do T6 just with new names. And even if youre not intrested in competing against other's just know that the better you do in GR's the more powerful your character will become due to how Legendary Gems now upgrade.

If you dont care that monks are the worst class then you have no problems and you will love the patch im sure. Maybe im weird but i dont like playing the worst class.
    Edited by Strego#1555 on 8/17/2014 1:23 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    hi hermit, like your vids.

i think you exaggerated the buffs to our survivability a bit though. we are still quite squishy.

also not all item changes are retroactive. if the item didn't have a legendary affix before 2.1 it won't be added, you're gonna have to find a new one. if it had and the affix value was modified, it will be rerolled.

not sure what happenes if there was an affix but it was changed completely, probably not retroactive either.
    Reply Quote
    One thing I'm looking forward to next patch is my 20k armor and 1300 AR. Salvation + hard target is awesome, especially being paragon 400+ when you have 25%+ armor and 250+ AR. Just had to do a fear gear swaps like depth diggers and switch the res on 2 pieces of my gear and every was alright and balanced.
    Reply Quote
    08/17/2014 01:13 PMPosted by Hippotion
    DPS monks in groups were laughable, T4 max. So for me, a giant improvement!

That is what I believe in as well, from where we are right now to wher we can be in future, i'd say monks are definately getting better. Please remember that what a handful of individuals are trying in PTR will be nothing compared to the entire community looking for new builds. Even though grifts +30 wil lbe challenging, I would still think we can make it work by putting our heads together.

This being said, I do acknowledge that monks still need some improvement, but this is why we have devs working on this issue constantly :)

08/17/2014 01:20 PMPosted by Strego
    Maybe im weird but i dont like playing the worst class.

We are all entitled to our opinions but I understand that what you are arguing about are facts. Maybe it is very true that monks will find it hard on grifts +40 but as long as mechanics of the class are correct, a little hotfix to damage numbers can change that. So I do have high hopes for the class. If I may ask however, please be polite to your fellow friends who wish to share their thoughts on this topic too. After all, constructive criticism is what we are all after :)

08/17/2014 01:22 PMPosted by kadius
    i think you exaggerated the buffs to our survivability a bit though. we are still quite squishy.

Thanks for the kind words but I do humbly believe that we will not be squishy; the reason for this is not simply changes to dodge and armor but our inate ability to crowd control. Also we are and always have been the masters of life of hit and with our fast attacking spirit generators, even if we cant deal much damage, we can CC them. For instance, a monk can tank, dodge, and freeze enemies with his left click and thanks to the passive, deal tons of damage. So in all as your kind self knows, monks are unique in terms of damage and survivability. More we attack, more we live, and I think so will be the case in 2.1, so lets hope its all for the best.

08/17/2014 01:34 PMPosted by BlackJohn
    One thing I'm looking forward to next patch is my 20k armor and 1300 AR. Salvation + hard target is awesome

You made a great point there about survivability, and this ofcourse is just one example. Thanks for your feedback :)
    Reply Quote
    08/17/2014 02:14 PMPosted by HolyHermit
    More we attack, more we live

This is definitely not true on live or PTR.

IAS is a survival liability and has been since 2.0 changes to Electrified and RD. They're still OP on PTR. I kill my friends with electrified, too.

The more we attack, the more whole team dies.
    Reply Quote
    08/17/2014 02:14 PMPosted by HolyHermit
    After all, constructive criticism is what we are all after :)

I know im probably coming off as being really rude but...

Tell people whatever you want. Maybe enough people will watch your video and cheer for the amazing job Blizz did with Monks. But dont pretend your criticizing them, youre saying they did a good job and youre just wrong.
    Edited by Strego#1555 on 8/17/2014 3:20 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    08/17/2014 02:22 PMPosted by Vox
    IAS is a survival liability and has been since 2.0 changes to Electrified and RD

This is where we disagree on the topic, even though those affixes are a hard counter to attack speed, increased attack speed in general is what made monk so successful in pre ros. Ofcourse the reason there was the balance between spirit regen from generators and damage output of spenders, all this synchronicity can indeed be partially credited to attack speed.

I belive the affixes you describe are too few in number and for a monk, attack speed is, and always will be a core mechanic that benifits its playstyle.

08/17/2014 03:04 PMPosted by Strego
    I know im probably coming off as being really rude but...

Not at all, I understand that you are very passionate about monks and would like to see the class improve. I never said that monks have completely been fixed as I do not believe in it myself. The point that I try to make in the video is how much they will improve since RoS launch.

I do believe that blizz did a good job at improving monks but at the same time there is more to improved. So what can a player do if his favourite character is monk. He or she can either complain about everything that needs to be fixed or he or she can offer feedback and enjoy what has been changed for the better. I also think that most changes done to monks are step in the right direction and I wish to share this with fellow monks who are passionate about this class.
    Reply Quote
    08/17/2014 04:22 PMPosted by HolyHermit
    The point that I try to make in the video is how much they will improve since RoS launch.

Old exploding palm was way better than everything they've " Buffed" you not knowing how to take full advantage of it might explain why you think they have improved the class. Old One With Everything was way more powerful than the new Harmoney passive

Trust me when i tell you the gap between Monks and other classes has grown larger and for the worse. The casual player builds have improved so you may have more fun theory crafting low GR capable builds but our endgame builds has been utterly destroyed by the change to exploding palm and the compensation that was expected for its removal has not come.
    Reply Quote
    I'd say 'farming' for weapons is futile, only way to target drops is to play your monk and Kadala.. so... I say Gamble some Hexing Pants first.. then as many Laws of Seph, Mind's Eye, and Gyanas as possible! They will probably all get their legendary affix rerolled, so your 400% Gyana might roll 'low' on the new scale.
    Edited by Davlok#1847 on 8/17/2014 6:32 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    08/17/2014 04:39 PMPosted by Strego
    08/17/2014 04:22 PMPosted by HolyHermit
    The point that I try to make in the video is how much they will improve since RoS launch.

Old exploding palm was way better than everything they've " Buffed" you not knowing how to take full advantage of it might explain why you think they have improved the class. Old One With Everything was way more powerful than the new Harmoney passive

Trust me when i tell you the gap between Monks and other classes has grown larger and for the worse. The casual player builds have improved so you may have more fun theory crafting low GR capable builds but our endgame builds has been utterly destroyed by the change to exploding palm and the compensation that was expected for its removal has not come.
    '

Spot on Strego,
    On live Monks are great at group support with EP, Cyclone Strike, Annihilation; however our solo DPS is around T5 (HC Rainment).

In 2.1 PTR solo Monk dps has been increased due to Sunwoko/Inna; however group support is fairly poor with the nerf to EP. A 2.1 Monk has fallen further behind the other classes since we lost EP scaling with Monster Health.
    Reply Quote
    08/17/2014 06:43 PMPosted by Justinian
    however our solo DPS is around T5 (HC Rainment).

Uhhh no... Have you never heard of shatter palm spec W/ Rimeheart/Exploding palm? T6 was a joke with that spec. Monks were the only class to beat Greater Rift 100 on PTR prior to the exploding palm nerf. Obviously exploding palm needed to be nerfed for the health of the game but turning Monks into the weakest class in the game isnt the solution.

Like i said they made the game a little easier for the casual player to handle T6. But T6 is no longer the end-game.
    Reply Quote
    Just watched portions of your video a few seconds here and there.

I think it's neat that you are soloing T4; however that difficulty is already doable in Live. If you had a few videos of GR30+ where you speed clear content then your argument would be more persuasive; but even then unfortunately other classes far surpass Monks in greater rifts.

I'm under the impression that your video guide/argument is for casual monks or alt monks. In general 2.1 will be great for casuals Monks given the relatively minor DPS buffs and the introduction of Harmony.
    Reply Quote
    08/17/2014 06:51 PMPosted by Strego
    08/17/2014 06:43 PMPosted by Justinian
    however our solo DPS is around T5 (HC Rainment).

Uhhh no... Have you never heard of shatter palm spec W/ Rimeheart/Exploding palm? T6 was a joke with that spec. Monks were the only class to beat Greater Rift 100 on PTR prior to the exploding palm nerf. Obviously exploding palm needed to be nerfed for the health of the game but turning Monks into the weakest class in the game isnt the solution.

Like i said they made the game a little easier for the casual player to handle T6. But T6 is no longer the end-game.

Thats a fair point, I left out shatter palm. I hate that build and haven't used it in a long time. Wish I could give away my Rimehearts to someone that actually enjoys it.
    Reply Quote
    08/17/2014 06:52 PMPosted by Justinian
    I'm under the impression that your video guide/argument is for casual monks or alt monks. In general 2.1 will be great for casuals Monks

Bingo. The progression into T6 will be much quicker and easier and thats a good thing for new/casual Monks. After that the weakness of the class begins to show in the form of other classes being able to reach higher Greater Rift levels which will cause a snowball effect of those classes becoming stronger and stronger due to how legendary gems work.
    Reply Quote
    MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
    View profile
    Hey HH!

Always nice to see you around these parts.

Unfortunately, I 100% agree with Strego on this one.

Monks are much stronger at the lower end of the spectrum now and T6 should be capable for a much larger population ... however at the top-end of the curve, we are significantly worse off than we were in 2.0.6.

Our class was being carried by Exploding Palm which was arguably the best skill in the game and they gutted it and gave us nothing big enough to compensate.

As a result, Monks are now the weakest class in the game. Our strongest spec is still zDPS support and I would still blanch at the idea of a DPS monk in my party.

On the flip side, as Strego pointed out, I find monks to be more enjoyable to play now than before ... so I guess that's a consolation prize.

08/17/2014 07:18 PMPosted by Strego
    Bingo. The progression into T6 will be much quicker and easier and thats a good thing for new/casual Monks. After that the weakness of the class begins to show in the form of other classes being able to reach higher Greater Rift levels which will cause a snowball effect of those classes becoming stronger and stronger due to how legendary gems work.

Another super-irritating part of this is that the best geared monks will be people with monk-alts and DH mains because they will get higher level gems than I ever can.

<sigh>
    Edited by Druin#1518 on 8/17/2014 10:18 PM PDT
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]