Diablo® III

Shield=superdmg? 0_0

So I was checking out monk changes on the ptr.
I hoovered with my mouse over a shield in my bags.
For some reason it said it would give me a 40% dmg increase over a fist weapon that I was wearing (dual wielding). How does a shield give such a damage increase while weapons with similar dexterity even, dont?

Am I overlooking something?

I have been checking other shields out now. Even ones that are a few lvls lower than my lvl (basically shields that I outlvled) and those give quite some damage increases too, even over a 1h with more dexterity than the shield?
Reply Quote
You need a socket in ur weapon. Emerald gem will give you 130% crit damage. which is what makes dual wielding appealing in the first place, as well as the attack speed.

no shield will give you 130 crit damage. Some might come with elemental damage or crit chance, but can never match an emerald gem when it comes to damage.
Reply Quote
I dont think you understood what I meant.

I hoover with my mouse over a shield and it says it gives 40% dmg increase over the 1h in my offhand.
That doesnt seem to make sense to me, because there is even less dex on the shield than the 1h and the shield doesnt have any other damage increasing stats like crit.

So that is why I came here to search for an explanation.
Maybe there is something that I am overlooking.
Edited by Meowazziel#2333 on 8/20/2014 2:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Could you provide details on both your 1-handers and the Shield?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If your second 1h weapon is not close damage wise to your first weapon, it is actually a dps loss to have it equipped because you have to switch hands to attack (ie. left right left right etc) where as if you have a shield you just focus on using that one weapon
Edited by Traison#1860 on 8/20/2014 3:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/20/2014 03:24 AMPosted by Taurea
Could you provide details on both your 1-handers and the Shield?

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Meowazziel-2333/hero/45297495
Edited by Zocknerd#2374 on 8/20/2014 4:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Demon Hunter being able t use shield is completely lore related right?
Reply Quote
08/20/2014 03:49 AMPosted by Heisenberg
Demon Hunter being able t use shield is completely lore related right?
I am talking about monk, not demonhunter.

08/20/2014 03:31 AMPosted by Arialon
If your second 1h weapon is not close damage wise to your first weapon, it is actually a dps loss to have it equipped because you have to switch hands to attack (ie. left right left right etc) where as if you have a shield you just focus on using that one weapon

Thanks, that is probably it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]