Diablo® III

Just combine main stats already

The distinction is basically pointless.
Reply Quote
Because... it prevents trading gear between characters as easily?

Saying different stats is pointless is like saying different elements are pointless.

They're limiters.
Reply Quote
actually they are pointless. they were a tad creative, at least causing damage in different ways, and that feature was deleted from the game during its development.

the devs figured that everyone just went with the crowd control damage type and ignored the rest.,..so rather than provide a different layer of numbers worth considering, they just deleted any trace of flavour from all elements.

it was not until D3 was out for YEARS that elemental damage was even at the forefront of character development. it existed prior to that in the most achingly subtle way to the point of sheer idiocy;

providing virtually ZERO effect to offensive output and weapons that contained ZERO elemental damage were boosted BY elemental damage. of any variety.

I dont even understand why im explaining this to you...me and millions of others have been blown away by the tradition theory and potential this game as absolutely excreted right into the toilet...

well you and your kind win. now Dex and Strength do the exact same thing to different classes...
as if that somehow makes them different or worth considering....

i just dont even know what to say anymore.....what a sad tale this game has become.......its the Justin Beibers' Retard Coloring Book of roleplaying games..........just a complete joke in sooooooo many ways....when it should be a reference grade example.....
Reply Quote
09/01/2014 07:29 PMPosted by Shadow

Saying different stats is pointless is like saying different elements are pointless.

They're limiters.

Limiters for what purpose? To automatically ignore items without it? To reduce the 4/2 affix system to a 3/2 affix system? Look at your gear, every single piece has main stat. Tough and interesting choices you're making there. The only place where people reroll off main stat is in an soj for elites dmg, cc, ele dmg, and a socket thanks to the legendary gems.

Now, there's literally no difference between monk/dh/barb/crusader main stat (a good change given the way the game works, but terrible from a flavor perspective). Just go all the way. It really isn't adding any interesting value.

For elemental damage, you're not making any choices. In fact, the choices are basically made for you. I can't believe people hail elemental damage as some sort of interesting build mechanic. At least wizards have passives based on elemental type, but for almost all the other classes, it really is pointless. Pick damage skills that all share an element type and items that boost that element. Wow, that was interesting.

Don't you find it interesting that a weapon's elemental type damage boost (the + to min and max damage) only matters in one circumstance, a wizard's passive? You probably don't even care about that affix for how little it matters, but you can have so many different types of + min/max damage on that. I wonder if the only real difference is the original cold rolls lower, everything else is equal or whether they changed that too.
Reply Quote
No.

Might come back later and post more on my answer, ya know.
Reply Quote
09/01/2014 07:29 PMPosted by Shadow

They're limiters.

I see it more as a complain against DEX = STR.
Reply Quote
Shurgosa, tell us how you really feel...
Reply Quote
09/01/2014 09:44 PMPosted by Unclepauly
Shurgosa, tell us how you really feel...

well..OK. But ill try to keep it on topic here. namely how MORE stats is better than LESS stats

↓↓↓

I feel that when this game was announced the hype for it was like a comet. it just did its thing and went wear it wanted to go. This is why despite some people looking no official pledge or promise can be found when it comes to PvP. it was somehow assumed globally in countless peoples' minds that it would exist and would be incredible

And this "it will exist and it will be incredible" axiom is really the easiest way to define the games blizzard has been known to create in the past number of years. It's safe to assume that it was what people thought about all of the most celebrated aspects of this game and types like it. People thought

"we don't have to concern ourselves that the usual features of This game will not be incredible
examples to admire."

"we don't have to concern ourselves about whether or not there will be an endless sea of cool items to discover. We don't have to concern ourselves about whether or not there will be countless ways to tweak and tailor our character in its lifetime"

"we don't have to concern ourselves about whether or not competition in the game will be healthy and expansive"

"we don't have to concern ourselves about whether or not that skills will be numerous and we can focus on them, commit to them develop them or ignore them"

and boy were they wrong. the players apparently should have concerned themselves with all of the above because it was all dashed against the rocks.

Thats a line of thinking I would repeat to people if trying to describe the history of Blizzard games, the Diablo series and even Role Playing games in general.

Im going to highlight it so maybe Someone who needs to see it will see it.

"It will exist and it will be incredible."

That's notion 1. and its ESPECIALLY true for Blizzard, because they more than most any other company never ceased to amaze players.

Role playing games have existed for 40 years if not 50. The landscape of what these games offer to players and which ones thrive among them unfolds over that time period like species unfolding all over the earth. Just like nature certain things ring true within that "nature of Role Playing games"

These games exist because a reason for them to exist was in place.

They are desired by certain people. a person, probably some nerd who was 18-25 years old noticed a game with a sword, and a wizard. and the idea stuck. Maybe that guy wanted a spear to behave differently than an axe, and so instead of simply knowing this information and telling others about it, he made a rule for it.

And as the number of species of role playing games spiraled up into the stratosphere so did these rules.

That's notion 2

"Numbers and rules exist because people wanted them to exist"

These numbers that define the objects and the actions of role playing games are desirable. they are not a byproduct.

So when yapping about how I feel its hard to forge such an eloquent write up and keep it flowing well.

so lets take a look at those to notions above:

1. "It will exist and it will be incredible."
2. "Numbers and rules exist because people wanted them to exist"

People assumed D3 would exist and would be incredible. again on the specific topic of stats for your character; Since when was less stats a good thing? do the people who are fans of this type of game actually want less of anything?

Sure less formulas to recite and to understand. That much I can sympathize with. But that's not what is at stake here. We are not talking about the behind the scenes number madness being too complex. No. we are talking about the visual character sheet,and how its being reduced in the most jarring and fundamental way.

When people say they do not mind when things are simplified and streamlined about games of which they are a fan, I will inform them that in this case with these types of games, you are not a fan. or you would not think that.

You would not think that simplifying stats is a good thing, or Legend of Zelda is the ARPG for you.
you would not think that introducing elemental damage is something worth celebrating because it never should have been deleted.

In fact I could write a book about that little tidbit. introducing feature "B" is not such a wonderful thing today for D3, because Feature "B" already existed and it was thriving. they deleted it years ago. It's just sad that not only are they deleting and sabotaging features that previously existed and thrived in the Diablo series specifically, they are deleting and sabotaging features that are the very building blocks of Role Playing games in general.

And to those players who somehow rationalize the concept of such blatant streamlining and simplification:

You are not a fan of this type of game. you are not part of the solution. you are not part of the problem: you ARE the problem.

40 years ago these games were basically invented to include complexity and include math and include differences and include commitment, deep thinking and choice, because games had already reached the "idiots pinnacle" they were as streamlined and simplified as they can be....

Deleting it or scraping features that have been slowly built up in the previous decades, today, is not some grand step forward in thinking; it's complete idiocy.

That's how I feel. And now i go for breakfast.
Reply Quote
09/01/2014 07:55 PMPosted by Shurgosa
actually they are pointless. they were a tad creative, at least causing damage in different ways, and that feature was deleted from the game during its development.

the devs figured that everyone just went with the crowd control damage type and ignored the rest.,..so rather than provide a different layer of numbers worth considering, they just deleted any trace of flavour from all elements.

it was not until D3 was out for YEARS that elemental damage was even at the forefront of character development. it existed prior to that in the most achingly subtle way to the point of sheer idiocy;

providing virtually ZERO effect to offensive output and weapons that contained ZERO elemental damage were boosted BY elemental damage. of any variety.

I dont even understand why im explaining this to you...me and millions of others have been blown away by the tradition theory and potential this game as absolutely excreted right into the toilet...

well you and your kind win. now Dex and Strength do the exact same thing to different classes...
as if that somehow makes them different or worth considering....

i just dont even know what to say anymore.....what a sad tale this game has become.......its the Justin Beibers' Retard Coloring Book of roleplaying games..........just a complete joke in sooooooo many ways....when it should be a reference grade example.....

wow... i thought this forum was haunted by trolls only! :( you good sir (or lady) hit the nail right on the head!

everything that made this game "good" got flushed down the toilet pré-release/beta. why? because jay wilson thought stat points where to "hard" and people would just google the best build anyways... (i still don't see what was "hard" about using statpoints and see no problem people using coockie cutter builds... oh wait -_- they do the same thing in this crap version)

the classes where fun to play... and there's where most of the fun stops! grinding for gear? terrible! replaying story mode? can do it with my eyes closed! RoS? recycled content within it own!! added rifts/bounties to RoS? should be D3V content and also is just recycled content!!! (so is season)

the last part i found extremely poor! realy... charging people for content that should have been there from the getgo? forcing people to buy the expansion in order to play said content? realy blizzard? that was greedy! and you realy royaly shafted the players outside of RoS.

i wish i never even botherd with this game as it just made me crinch every flaw i found in the game. why i even bought RoS (beyond the idea of that it would finaly fix this game) is beyond me!
Reply Quote
I really wish people who had a problem with the design of this game, and others, learned proper English. That's my own, personal gripe, and has no bearing on my opinion of whether they are right or wrong.

The game is simplified. This is a good and a bad thing. Depth is not good if its got no direction. Simplicity is also no good if its got no hook, or angle to keep you interested. I don't want to play D3 while looking at numbers, crunching statistics and googling spreadsheets to find out the best way of handling things. With that said, I don't want things that fundamentally do the same thing, to have a different monicker.

Dex should never have been rolled into what Str already does. But with this change, I now support making Str, Dex, and Int all called "Power." Other ARPGs do this, and it simplifies gear tremendously. Stacking this stat gives your character more weapon damage, as the main stats all already do. It should not be a defensive stat, so no more all resist. To compensate for this, add more depth by allowing more types of stats. Give us an actual dodge stat, just like we have block %, and also tweak resists so the squishies don't get upset.
Edited by Baalor#1885 on 9/2/2014 8:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]