Diablo® III

Beta Grinding?

Just wondering if there will be a level cap in beta or will you be able to do short runs over and over to get more levels?

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
Nobody knows. Rumor mill right now says there's some kind of cap at level 13. Either due to no longer getting xp from monsters, or from an actual hard cap. Problem is this is all based on the last press demo that people were able to play, and that may or may not actually be the beta. Personally i don't think it's the beta we're going to get (and i REALLY hope it's not)

I've splained this on other posts, but basically the only reason we'd even be getting a beta that limited, would be if they simply want to get a ton of compatibility testing. The reason i don't believe that to be the case, is because one of the SC2 MVP posters who seemed to be "in the know" as it were, posted that he knew (somehow) that this would be Blizzard's smallest beta to date. If it's purely to get extra compatibility testing done, i don't think it would be that small. Plus the fact that they've basically always done their betas as almost complete games/expansions before. Not to mention they're worrying about possibly not making a 2011 release? If beta's going to last 3 months....no way in hell we're gonna play a 13 level demo for 3 months...no way...just, no.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
AEC
Sixen went to the recent press event that let them play the beta build and he said that there was a hard cap of level 13.

Doubt the beta will last for months. The beta's main focus will be on hardware compatibility.
Edited by Protract on 8/27/2011 6:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Nobody knows. Rumor mill right now says there's some kind of cap at level 13. Either due to no longer getting xp from monsters, or from an actual hard cap. Problem is this is all based on the last press demo that people were able to play, and that may or may not actually be the beta. Personally i don't think it's the beta we're going to get (and i REALLY hope it's not)

I've splained this on other posts, but basically the only reason we'd even be getting a beta that limited, would be if they simply want to get a ton of compatibility testing. The reason i don't believe that to be the case, is because one of the SC2 MVP posters who seemed to be "in the know" as it were, posted that he knew (somehow) that this would be Blizzard's smallest beta to date. If it's purely to get extra compatibility testing done, i don't think it would be that small. Plus the fact that they've basically always done their betas as almost complete games/expansions before. Not to mention they're worrying about possibly not making a 2011 release? If beta's going to last 3 months....no way in hell we're gonna play a 13 level demo for 3 months...no way...just, no.

I hope you're right~~
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
AEC
The "press demo" was revealed as the beta build that Blizzard will be using in the upcoming beta.
Reply Quote
Interesting hopefully it's enough levels to get a good feel for each class!!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I am sure the beta will last for 1-2 months, there is a nice long guide to posting bugs and whatnot in the bugs forum... So I am sure its not just to test servers, but also to check for any bugs they might have missed as well.

But yeah I am sure testing servers is the main part.
Edited by Izoll on 8/27/2011 7:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
In diablo II regular beta there was no level cap if i remember right, but you could not go past cold plains, so once you got to level 18 (after countless hours of grinding) you could not really gain any more experiance.

Thats if i remember correctly, was a long long time ago.

and man was it fun, collecting open socket crystal swords, then spending all day turning as many chipped topaz's into perfect topaz's with gem shrines. Then completely demolishing everything and everyone with the pimped out crystal swords as a barbarian duel wielding. hahaha o i hope this beta is as much fun as the diablo ii one!
Reply Quote
That's just sorely disappointing. Not to mention seems almost pointless from a testing standpoint. I just really can't imagine the QA team has missed very much in the area that's probably been playable for longer than anything else. Don't get me wrong, i'll still play the hell out of it, and probably play a male and female of all 5 classes to 13.99~ if that's indeed how high you can get =P
I was just really hoping to see a lot more of it during beta. But /shrug hopefully that just means they are a lot closer to release, and maybe we'll get it by Thanksgiving after all =) hehe
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
The Beta will probably last right until the Tuesday before/of release.

If 13 is the cap, Wingbane may well be right, and you can get either 1xp shy of 14, or 13 + max monster -1 xp.

If they were to have labor day weekend beta release, and a thaksgiving full release, that would allow two and a half months of beta testing they could do, moving from initial stress tests, and then pushing forward.

It's possible that we'll have multiple reloads with the Beta process, and could end up playing all the way through over the next two months.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
AEC
That's just sorely disappointing. Not to mention seems almost pointless from a testing standpoint. I just really can't imagine the QA team has missed very much in the area that's probably been playable for longer than anything else. Don't get me wrong, i'll still play the hell out of it, and probably play a male and female of all 5 classes to 13.99~ if that's indeed how high you can get =P
I was just really hoping to see a lot more of it during beta. But /shrug hopefully that just means they are a lot closer to release, and maybe we'll get it by Thanksgiving after all =) hehe
They need to test the game on different hardware configurations. Internal QA is more than a little limited in this respect.

And since computers are not like ipads/iphones it makes sense to test your program on lots of different computers.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]