Diablo® III

Sixen; on end-game

Blizzard has been supporting Diablo 2 for the last decade so I have no reason to believe that inferno will be the final 'end game' content. Perhaps for a while it will be, but I imagine there will be future patches that will introduce chaos sanctuary-esque challenges.

Really though...we haven't even played the beta yet so I won't worry about end game content until I actually reach the end of the game.

I totally agree. I also think that talking about "endgame" content now is almost trivial. I'm sure we'll have a hundred patches and expansion(s) coming out down the road.
Reply Quote
A big part of Diablo is getting a bunch of cool gear with powerful stats. If we get to the end of the game, get that uber gear, why would we stop playing? The game should have a reason for us to get the gear other than the pride of having it. It would seem very anti-climactic to get all that gear and have nothing to do with it.
Reply Quote
Well essentially you had gear that could own the difficulties of D2 easily. And the right gear setup to solo gank ubers no prob.

Endgame was in d2 involved killing other players.

Although that needed ridiculous improvements because everyone just one shotted each other anyway.
Reply Quote
08/25/2011 12:53 AMPosted by Will
I beat Baal and either set the game down or started a new character at various times. The re-playability of D2 or virtually any other game is in that its just a good game. I've played Castlevania SOTN countless times because its fun. That should be all that's to it. The need for end-game content really seems unnecessary, especially when these players have already demonstrated a total willingness to continue to play without any end-game content. You still play D2 because its fun, plain and simple; it requires no additional content to convince you to keep playing. So why again is it a *must* for D3?

Diablo end game is about the eternal item hunt, period. People keep playing it over and over looking for the best items, it has nothing at all to do with "content" they are playing. This is the brilliance of Inferno, it creates the opportunity for everyone to item hunt across all of the content, but have the same chance for the best items since it is flat difficulty. People keep thinking about this like it is the exact same thing just a fourth time, but it isn't. This will be a very challenging experience where you will not be able to waltz straight through, because every encounter will be above your level.
Reply Quote
08/25/2011 12:53 AMPosted by Will
I beat Baal and either set the game down or started a new character at various times. The re-playability of D2 or virtually any other game is in that its just a good game. I've played Castlevania SOTN countless times because its fun. That should be all that's to it. The need for end-game content really seems unnecessary, especially when these players have already demonstrated a total willingness to continue to play without any end-game content. You still play D2 because its fun, plain and simple; it requires no additional content to convince you to keep playing. So why again is it a *must* for D3?
That's fine for you, but what about people who want more out of the game? What about players who want optional stuff to do after they beat baal? You could go back and start a new character and other players could play the other endgame modes. Can't it appeal to both play styles?

Nothing is a *must* in D3. The developers add features because they think they will be fun in the game. So if they can come up with a fun endgame feature, and if that feature doesn't negatively impact other features, why wouldn't they add it?
Reply Quote
I think the problem with a super special endgame that everyone wants to play and experience is you would have to play through the "regular" part of the game on multiple difficulty levels to access this content. So if playing the game over and over on highest difficulties isn't appealing, why force players to play the campaign through all the different difficulties to unlock this extra story/lore/areas. If implemented in all difficulties it just becomes the game. However I would not be surprised to see epic collection quests lead to epic battles added to inferno drops during a patch/update, as well as addional acts via expansion (how predictable, I know). I just don't think that there will be that much "haha inferno is ezmode, I can easily defeat any random assortment of mobs and terrain thats thrown at me, whew that was a good 50 hrs of gametime." Maybe I'm just stuck in the box I dunno.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
did he say he wants endgame to start before you beat the game?
seemed like some prime trolling to me :P
and if he did that by accident..... :O
i wish i was able to go to work drunk :)

on a more serious note
to the people who actually do want a zone that is restricted to the leveling experience so that they can experience it new while playing the countless hours at 60..
is the content really going to be THAT old by the time you hit 60?
how long to you plan on leveling up that you need total "new content"?
break it down for a sec in your head
so you want blizzard to have spent their entire efforts thus far making a "leveling zone"......
thats what youve just entitled the current content by asking for "new content" at 60
Reply Quote
This is a response to Sixen from DiabloCast episode 22, but is a general point open to all. There has been some discussion about Inferno and whether or not it makes for good "end-game" content. Sixen suggests that it is not true end-game because Inferno is not new content, merely another difficulty. He issued a challenge, more or less, to listeners of the podcast to discuss this issue.

My question is this, and it is somewhat rhetorical, but is worth some thought I think: Why does there have to be any end-game at all? Whatever happened to beating a game and saying "Man, that was sweet," and setting it down. When did that stop being ok? Video games are akin to books and movies in some regards, and everyone knows going in that a book or film will end and you walk away. Diablo 3 is not an MMO, which are intentionally open-ended to some degree. Why, in the opinion of Sixen and/or the populace here, must Diablo 3 have end-game content at all?

Some games that is very true, they are built to be played start to finish, the end (Bioshock, Half-life, God of War, to name a few of my favs). Games like Diablo however, are meant to be played over and over and over, that's the fun in it. The constant leveling of different characters, finding the perfect items for a certain build, and sheer fun of making giant demons explode into a cloud of death. Like many people have said in this thread, the game content in itself, is the end-game. For some people, finding unique areas/bosses only in inferno (good idea), would be end-game content. It is different for everyone, but in the end, it's a game that is not meant to be over after one play through. Not just, start to finish.

Edit: But I can agree with Sixen because the type of end-game content in Diablo, is not like the end-game content in a game like WoW; where you finish leveling then raid, aka something ENTIRELY different than just a flat, insanely hard difficulty.
Edited by llama on 8/26/2011 2:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Diablo is a hack and slash rpg, where the end is always the beginning. With the random generation the experience is endless so end game isn't really even possible? I am sure Inferno will have rarespawns, perhaps even a Diablo clone to satisfy the hungriest of epeens. Diablo satisfies bloodlust, wanderlust, and a love for dice. I'd wager every item in D3 wont even be found in the first 3 years. I hope people aren't going into this game expecting a mmorpg...
Reply Quote
MVP
I suppose there doesn't have to be end-game, you make a good point. However, if Blizzard wants to keep people playing their game, they need to have end-game... We need some reason to go back and replay the content again other than just "I've waited a decade for it."

Also, my apologies, I haven't read the entire thread, it's 4am, been up for 22hours running on 6hrs of sleep. I'm beat, good night, ;).
86 Gnome Warlock
Does that mean Seven-en takes over?
Reply Quote
08/26/2011 04:04 AMPosted by Sixen
I suppose there doesn't have to be end-game, you make a good point. However, if Blizzard wants to keep people playing their game, they need to have end-game... We need some reason to go back and replay the content again other than just "I've waited a decade for it."

Well they could add more stuff over time through patches, also expansions.But if you look back to D2 and LoD for a while Hell and Cow Level was "end game".

Then there is the RMAH. Which I don't like, but I won't get into that. As i don't care it won't affect me as I'll be going Hardcore. Anyways , end game could also be farming items for cash.

Or Hardcore Inferno if it's hard that is. Could be considered decent end game, til they add more stuff later on.
Edited by Mayhem on 8/26/2011 5:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/26/2011 04:04 AMPosted by Sixen

Huh? There is end game, and right now like diablo 2, it is going to be tied to the rarity of items. What blizzard is trying to do is to open up the entire game as viable end game content. What's wrong with that? There's a ton of things they can do to make doing a variety of content appealing, so we will see how successful they are.

As another poster said, do you want blizzard to have spent years creating all this content merely just for leveling purposes? There's no reason the content they're putting out can't last us 24 months till the new expansion if they tune the difficulty and item rarity right. As well as maybe add some new items once or twice. I think most diablo players are perfectly content to item hunt.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]