Diablo® III

Can a blue fill us in on the rune system?

85 Goblin Rogue
In a fairly recent interview with Jay Wilson he talked about possibly revising the rune system.
He said they were playing around with the idea of having "unattuned" runes drop and once you place them in a skill they will randomly receive some attributes. Or something like that.
My question is, how is this system working in testing? Any new info? Can you even tell us about this stuff?
If a blue could fill us in on ANYTHING that would be much appreciated.

If not, what does the community think about the possible rune system direction?
I personally think it could be a bit aggravating to have to farm a long time for a high end rune and then bite my fingernails as I attune the rune and hope I get what I want. However, the randomness might be a bit of a thrill that will keep me excited. We shall see.
Thoughts?
Reply Quote
Interestingly, they don't even have to have all this figured out by the time the beta hits. Runes won't be dropping until A2 at the earliest, outside the scope of the beta.
Reply Quote
Yes I second the motion to have a kindly Blue fill us in on WTH is goin on with our precious rune system.

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee =]
Reply Quote
08/25/2011 09:46 PMPosted by Businessman
Interestingly, they don't even have to have all this figured out by the time the beta hits. Runes won't be dropping until A2 at the earliest, outside the scope of the beta

I saw this too and wondered how much balancing of the game could possibly be done without testing these things?!
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
08/25/2011 09:51 PMPosted by Highport
Interestingly, they don't even have to have all this figured out by the time the beta hits. Runes won't be dropping until A2 at the earliest, outside the scope of the beta

I saw this too and wondered how much balancing of the game could possibly be done without testing these things?!

Well I'm sure they'll test it a bit to see how it feels.
I'm interested as to how it's going (assuming they've started to try it out).
Reply Quote
I really don't like the idea, or at least to have it as he described it in that interview.
I do like the idea of some sort of randomized benefits to each rune, but i think they should still keep their basic types intact, so that you at least know the kind of modification that will occur when you plop it onto a skill--- maybe just have randomized stat increases that appear once its attuned.

example:
you have two level 1 obsidian runes and you put one onto skill A, lets say it increases the damage the skill does, and also gives you +5 dexterity. You take it off, and throw the other one on there, it still increases damage but this time through randomness it gives you +4 energy.
Reply Quote
I really don't like the idea, or at least to have it as he described it in that interview.
I do like the idea of some sort of randomized benefits to each rune, but i think they should still keep their basic types intact, so that you at least know the kind of modification that will occur when you plop it onto a skill--- maybe just have randomized stat increases that appear once its attuned.

example:
you have two level 1 obsidian runes and you put one onto skill A, lets say it increases the damage the skill does, and also gives you +5 dexterity. You take it off, and throw the other one on there, it still increases damage but this time through randomness it gives you +4 energy.

Yep, keep the rune types the same but dont bind them to a skill and maybe add a randomized bonus but thats all!
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue

example:

Yeah I would like something like your example. Added random benefits that aren't necessarily game changing if you get a poor quality one, ex: +2 energy. But, it can also keep you striving for perfect versions of your runes. Maybe +5 energy?

I wish I was a little more clear on how the "old" and "new" systems each work.

Was the old version that if a rune dropped it would be either Crimson, Indigo, Obsidian, Alabaster, or Golden and you could place it in any skill. Say you get a Crimson Rune and place it in magic missile, and if you decided later to change that rune you could take the Crimson Rune out a magic missile and put it in put into disintegrate or something?

Now, I believe the "new" system will drop a blank rune and once you put it in magic missile it will change to Crimson Rune of Magic Missile. And now you can't use it for anything except that, and you better hope that the Crimson effect was the one you wanted for Magic Missile, or tough luck.

I could be off, some more clarification would be nice.
Reply Quote

The beta apparently isn't about testing game balance. It's about testing hardware and stress-testing the entire system. All the game balance stuff is being tested in-house.
Reply Quote
the new system sounded horrible and i wanted to scream but i knew they wouldnt hear me in the video! definitely should keep it closer to what it was since it sounded like most people loved it.
Reply Quote
i really like the idea of having to identify a rune to uncover its true potential, its very diablo like and another thing that could always be improved and keep you hunting for the perfect one. However im unsure if i would like it to be so random that when its ided its for another skill that i dont use or im already happy with. It would kind of feel like random drops dictate what spells you use because of the impact higher level runes have on abilities.

i strongly agree with having affixes and bonuses being spawned on runes, but i dont really like it so random that you have to get lucky on so many levels to use the rune with the spell you want it on. I just think it would make that aspect of character progression feel to luck based, when you should be more in control what paths your character takes
Reply Quote
i really like the idea of having to identify a rune to uncover its true potential, its very diablo like and another thing that could always be improved and keep you hunting for the perfect one. However im unsure if i would like it to be so random that when its ided its for another skill that i dont use or im already happy with. It would kind of feel like random drops dictate what spells you use because of the impact higher level runes have on abilities.

i strongly agree with having affixes and bonuses being spawned on runes, but i dont really like it so random that you have to get lucky on so many levels to use the rune with the spell you want it on. I just think it would make that aspect of character progression feel to luck based, when you should be more in control what paths your character takes

I agree with affixes being added for sure since that makes perfect sense.

I disagree with it being spellbound since that would make for needing to find SO MANY runes.

I disagree with you needing to discover what type of rune it is since thats a pointless mechanic.. you're gonna find out what it is anyway, why add a step?
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Priest
Only thing I could find was: The Mystic "can also give you the option to break down undesirable runes for a shot at one you want." -From the official Diablo 3 site.

Edit: From the beta screenshots leaked by D.163.com and other fan sites, you can see there is one with a rank 1 Indigo rune with no stats on it.

Link to screenshot archives: http://www.diablo3professions.com/leaked-diablo-3-screenshots-nephalem-salvage-cube-and-crafting-materials/

Shortened Link: http://bit.ly/pymLDH

Edited by Oligopoly on 8/25/2011 10:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I like the whole unattuned rune thing. Would make it harder for everyone to have the best runes right away. The rarer the better imo. Eventually the market will be flooded with runes anyway because unlike gear they won't be broken down for crafting materials as far as I know. They will just continuously inflate the market until they are worthless either way. I would like it if you couldn't reroll a rune and if you got a bad one you could either scrap it for materials or try to sell it. If you could easily get the right rune for the right skill then it wouldn't mean much imo.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
bumpy!
Reply Quote
A number of possible options were brought up in that interview and I want to provide my personal take on each of them and their impact on the game.

The first and easiest is the random mods that can appear. I love the idea of runes having randomly generated mods. An additional stat boost never hurts and adds the slight increase in character customization. It also means that the 'best' rune for a particular build is orders of magnitude rarer adding value to the runes even after a character is loaded with level 7's in each slot. This addition is a must.

It gets more complicated when bringing in the idea of unattuned and spell-locked runes. Individually, I have little problem with either. The idea that a rune is dropped unidentified and them must be identified to determine its color and mod isn't that strange of an idea in the world of Diablo.

The idea that a rune locks to a skill after using it also isn't that significant of a concern either. It also increases the value of runes as they are not infinitely reusable (for one particular character - they still retain their trade value to other players) and it produces a fundamental restriction on free spec changes in that although you can change skills on the fly, you'll be limited to only 6 full power skills unless you put forth the extra effort to collect runes for an 'off spec'.

My only concern is the combination of the spell-locking and unattuned rune drops. If the runes are identified by placing them in a skill and thereby locking them to that skill, you may end up wasting the rune if the particular color that rolls isn't what you wanted. Together, all three of these would lead to a very difficult process of finding a really good rune.

It may take a fair amount of time just to find a level 7 rune and many drops just to roll the right color if you are unlucky. If you want a decent mod as well you'll be looking at a whole lot of farming. I can understand that a really good rune of a particular skill for a particular character build should be rare but I think this is overkill.

I would be perfectly happy with: random stat boosting mods, skill-locking, and runes drop with a known color - or a way to identify the color before locking in the decision. I personally think it is a fine solution to the 'freespecing' problem brought up in a few threads while also providing a little more value to runes in the long run (I think this is the main reason for the redesign in the first place).
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
A number of possible options were brought up in that interview and I want to provide my personal take on each of them and their impact on the game.

The first and easiest is the random mods that can appear. I love the idea of runes having randomly generated mods. An additional stat boost never hurts and adds the slight increase in character customization. It also means that the 'best' rune for a particular build is orders of magnitude rarer adding value to the runes even after a character is loaded with level 7's in each slot. This addition is a must.

It gets more complicated when bringing in the idea of unattuned and spell-locked runes. Individually, I have little problem with either. The idea that a rune is dropped unidentified and them must be identified to determine its color and mod isn't that strange of an idea in the world of Diablo.

The idea that a rune locks to a skill after using it also isn't that significant of a concern either. It also increases the value of runes as they are not infinitely reusable (for one particular character - they still retain their trade value to other players) and it produces a fundamental restriction on free spec changes in that although you can change skills on the fly, you'll be limited to only 6 full power skills unless you put forth the extra effort to collect runes for an 'off spec'.

My only concern is the combination of the spell-locking and unattuned rune drops. If the runes are identified by placing them in a skill and thereby locking them to that skill, you may end up wasting the rune if the particular color that rolls isn't what you wanted. Together, all three of these would lead to a very difficult process of finding a really good rune.

It may take a fair amount of time just to find a level 7 rune and many drops just to roll the right color if you are unlucky. If you want a decent mod as well you'll be looking at a whole lot of farming. I can understand that a really good rune of a particular skill for a particular character build should be rare but I think this is overkill.

I would be perfectly happy with: random stat boosting mods, skill-locking, and runes drop with a known color - or a way to identify the color before locking in the decision. I personally think it is a fine solution to the 'freespecing' problem brought up in a few threads while also providing a little more value to runes in the long run (I think this is the main reason for the redesign in the first place).

I very much agree with your conclusion. I like the stat boosts and skill locking but the random gray rune dropping is where I feel uneasy. I could see myself needing a Crimson in skill A and an Obsidian in skill B and when I put a blank rune into skill A I get an Obsidian that would have been perfect in skill B, but is it now potentially worthless. (Although if you can wipe runes with an artisan it's not so bad, unless it costs a crapload to do). Additionally, I don't think Blizzard is dumb and I'm sure they'll do whatever feels right.

We shall see.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I would like to see the runes treated like any other magic drop and be unidentified save for rune type (Obsidium, Gold , etc.) When you identify it you see what stat mods it has before you put it in a skill. That way you don't lock a rune into a skill type unless it is one you want to use for that skill only finding out it is useless to you stat wise after you equip it to the skill. This way, if you dont like it you can sell it on AH so maybe another class can use it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]