Diablo® III

Game Difficulty - Normal, Hell, Inferno

55 Worgen Death Knight

Hey guys ... like most of you I can't wait for this game to come out but nothing can be done but wait.

(First Question:) Wanted to know, what will most of you do ... Play Straight on Hell Mode to get into Inferno Mode, or will most of you guys go Normal, then Nightmare, then Hell, the Inferno mode?

(Second Question:)Are we able to bring forward, items we gathered from each level of difficulty?

I would imagine leveling and beating the game would be time consuming but in order to get the best gear, need to be on the Highest difficulty of the game.

(And last question:, for PVP, can people who just finished Normal game mode have a chance playing against hardcore people whos finished Inferno mode? (My guess no...but just want to know will there be matchmaking screen to pair up same gear, etc. etc.
Reply Quote
You have to go normal to nightmare to hell to inferno. They're not difficulty levels like in most games. Normal is balanced for 1-30, nighmare for 30-50, hell for 50-60, and then inferno for 60. You can't start in anything BUT normal, and you can't get to nightmare until you beat normal on that character.

Everything you earn in one difficulty you can carry to the next.

TL;DR Difficulties in Diablo games are progressive play throughs, not options to pick at character creation.

We have no idea how arena matchmaking will work, btw, and if low level people will even be able to get in there. If they can, you can probably do a custom match against higher leveled friends, but you obviously can't do a matchmaking arena match against them.
Edited by Static on 9/15/2011 7:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
31 Night Elf Hunter
You generally have to go in order. They lock the higher difficulties.
Reply Quote
In the Diablo world, you have to progress from 1 difficulty to the next.
Example (not sure on exact numbers):
Normal is level 1-30
Nightmare is level 31-50
Hell is level 51-60
Infernal is level 60.

And yes, you carry your items forward.
Reply Quote
55 Worgen Death Knight
Oh ok..thanks for the info. :D
Reply Quote
1) You have to go Normal, Nightmare, Hell, Inferno
2) Yes, items will carry over so you will be powerful enough to take on the harder enemies
3) Normal mode and Hardcore will be seperate; however, I don't know how the "matchmaking" system is going to work, so as far as I know, you can be paired up against whoever.
Edited by Goriz on 9/15/2011 7:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Wow people are actually being nice in this thread!
Reply Quote
09/15/2011 07:54 PMPosted by Youninjamace
(First Question:) Wanted to know, what will most of you do ... Play Straight on Hell Mode to get into Inferno Mode, or will most of you guys go Normal, then Nightmare, then Hell, the Inferno mode?

I would assume that like in previous installments of the series, you need to complete each difficulty mode to unlock the next tier. That is to say, you cannot jump from normal to hell without finishing nightmare.

(Second Question:)Are we able to bring forward, items we gathered from each level of difficulty?

Most likely, yes. Imagine having to start fresh with no items in inferno mode. Most classes would probably die in 2 hits.

(And last question:, for PVP, can people who just finished Normal game mode have a chance playing against hardcore people whos finished Inferno mode? (My guess no...but just want to know will there be matchmaking screen to pair up same gear, etc. etc.

From what I understand, PvP will have a matchmaking system that attempts to find players of similar skill/progress. For that reason, I doubt you'll be seeing a team of level 1 characters battling it out with a team of level 60 characters.
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 1/2/2012 11:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
55 Worgen Death Knight
Hahaha yes, obviously I'm a noob. I did play Diablo but that was like many many years ago. Can't even remember the game.

Appreciate the response...now i know.
Reply Quote
88 Orc Hunter
09/15/2011 07:58 PMPosted by Clonazepam

i know, im surprised. maybe they're on benzos, eh clon? :D
Edited by Chizzyjr on 9/15/2011 8:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
A good way to think of it is like a "New Game +", where each playthrough is harder.
Reply Quote
Im going to start with inferno and work my way down to normal...
:D
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
09/15/2011 08:00 PMPosted by Chizzyjr

i know, im surprised. maybe they're on benzos, eh clon? :D

Could be.
Reply Quote
Other than the fact normal mode is essentially a forced "very easy mode" we will have to play through every time we start a new character. It would be nice if we could start out in Nightmare immedietly after getting to a paticular level. I'm not a fan of having the story and bosses spoiled by playing through the game on easy mode.

I guess I can always gimp my character if I want a decent challenge out of normal on my first play through. But it sucks normal is essentially there for people who don't know how to play video games. They should have made an optional "tutorial mode" for that, which could essentially be an easier version of normal that would still get your character to nightmare for all the noobs.
Edited by Soulmancer on 9/15/2011 10:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Other than the fact normal mode is essentially a forced "very easy mode" we will have to play through every time we start a new character. It would be nice if we could start out in Nightmare immedietly after getting to a paticular level. I'm not a fan of having the story and bosses spoiled by playing through the game on easy mode.

I guess I can always gimp my character if I want a decent challenge out of normal on my first play through. But it sucks normal is essentially there for people who don't know how to play video games. They should have made an optional "tutorial mode" for that, which could essentially be an easier version of normal that would still get your character to nightmare for all the noobs.

i don't expect normal mode to be ballbustingly difficult but this is kind of a strange thing to say as we really don't know anything about difficulty yet. the later acts in d2 normal were reasonably difficult at the expected character power level, i don't see a reason to expect it to change
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 1/3/2012 12:03 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]