Diablo® III

Window 7 OEM recommened over XP?

Hi I currently use windows xp pro and it works fine with Sc2 and other games but with my current computer spec is window 7 recommended? I'm trying to upgrade for Diablo 3.

My spec

Windows XP pro
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 OC'd to 3.13 MHz
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
2x G SKill 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 400 MHz)
Nividia Geforce GTX 260 Black Edition OC'd (896 MB)
Creative SB X-fi xtremeGamer Sound Card
1 250 GB Disk Drive and 1 500 GB disk Drive

I read somewhere normally people will get more performance boost with Window 7 (64) especially if you have more than 3 GB of ram, and I have 4 so should i go ahead and buy windows 7 oem? And if I do, I should get the 64 not the 32 right?

Thanks
Reply Quote
Umm...You should always buy the 64bit as a gamer. Also, you may as well just wait for windows 8 now. You're pretty behind the times. In fact you have to have Vista or higher for some games now such as Battlefield 3
Reply Quote
imho you should get windows 7 over xp. You can install win 32 or 64 with your oem key if you have the disks. RAM is also pretty cheap now so get more if your MOBO supports it. I got 6GB of ram for 30 bucks. last year I paid over 100 bucks for it.
Edited by Virtues on 9/15/2011 2:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If you are going above 3GB of RAM you should get 64bit.
I am using win7 atm and I really like it.
Just like the post above me said. Eventually games will not be compatible with win xp.
Reply Quote
It would be a better investment to get the 64bit especially in todays technology. 32bit won't be able to use more than 4GB ram and you seems to be at the limit already.

Also, skipping vista and directly going to Win7 is very smart. Vista performance was never that good.

I think ever gamer should use 64bit system with as much ram as possible ;).
Reply Quote
DON'T GET WIN 8. Win7 will be better for gamers. And yes OEM is no different, get it.
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Rogue
My philosophy with software is pretty simple: if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Basically, why update if you aren't having any trouble? All my stuff works best on XP, and until that changes, I wont.
Reply Quote
I highly recommend Windows 7 64-bit over Windows XP for any reason in this day and age.

Among other things:

- Windows XP 32-bit can only utilize up to 4GB total system memory. This includes your video card's memory, system memory, and any other sort of memory you might have.
- Windows XP is not optimized to make great use of more than 2 threads (or cores).
- Windows XP doesn't support DirectX 11, which Diablo III will require you to have in order to enable FSAA
Edited by Tamer on 9/15/2011 2:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Rogue
If you are going above 3GB of RAM you should get 64bit.
I am using win7 atm and I really like it.
Just like the post above me said. Eventually games will not be compatible with win xp.

Pretty sure the 3gb is also including the Video card. Which means the OP has basically 2gb of unused ram right now. That could be pretty huge...

Reply Quote
I highly recommend Windows 7 64-bit over Windows XP for any reason in this day and age.

Among other things:

- You can't utilize all 4GB of your memory on 32-bit XP
- Windows XP is not optimized to make great use of more than 2 threads (or cores).
- Windows XP doesn't support DirectX 11, which Diablo III will require you to have in order to enable FSAA

+1
Reply Quote
Thanks for the quick replies. I think i will invest in windows 7 64 and about 6 gig of ram, im pretty confident that my video card and cpu will be efficient enough for D3, at least until boxing day (Canada's version of black friday).
Reply Quote
Hey just going to ask in this rather than clog up the board and make a new thread since it's about OS's...

Would you say it's more likely to get in using W7 (32-bit, the 64-bit install f**ked up on me and now to lazy to try again) or Lion? Asking because I have no idea if it makes any difference and all I have to do is reboot on other partition/OS and run the profiler... Also is it likely that net speed would affect it at all (slow vs. fast)? Because I can always run it at school where I spend 1/2 my time anyways and have it read a much faster connection than my cruddy 1.2 mbps...

Specs,

OPERATING SYSTEM:
MacOS 10.7.1
CPU TYPE:
Intel® Core™ i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz
CPU SPEED:
2.42 GHz
SYSTEM MEMORY:
4 GB
VIDEO CARD MODEL:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
VIDEO CARD MEMORY:
256 MB
VIDEO CARD DRIVER:
-
DESKTOP RESOLUTION:
1440x900
HARD DISK SIZE:
171.52 GB
HARD DISK FREE SPACE:
22.06 GB (13%)
DOWNLOAD SPEED:
145.92 kB/s (1.2 mbps)

On another note, yeah for crappy low end video-cards! I just noticed just how bad it is, probably should replace it....
Edited by Devilbird on 9/15/2011 3:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/15/2011 02:52 PMPosted by Apical
DON'T GET WIN 8. Win7 will be better for gamers. And yes OEM is no different, get it.

Wrong actually, OEM is licensed to be pre-installed on a new computer and resold, not retained for personal use. If you are spending money because you want to be licensed correctly then you should be buying Windows 7 retail & it will include both x32 & x64 versions. You can also buy a win 7 family pack good for 3 computers for around $130 from microsoft.
Reply Quote
09/15/2011 02:52 PMPosted by Apical

You're so wrong. I'm using windows 8 beta and I'm already getting faster load times and better FPS on all my games. This is only beta too...your statement is pretty much stupid.
Reply Quote
Yes windows 7 (64) is better then windows xp

I don't know about windows 8 but I wouldn't recommend getting it until a good 2-3 months after release (to make sure it's not another vista)
Reply Quote
09/15/2011 04:28 PMPosted by Joshmon

Wrong actually, OEM is licensed to be pre-installed on a new computer and resold, not retained for personal use. If you are spending money because you want to be licensed correctly then you should be buying Windows 7 retail & it will include both x32 & x64 versions. You can also buy a win 7 family pack good for 3 computers for around $130 from microsoft.

They sell it on Newegg... It is almost half the price... It does the same thing... It is payed for. Please don't say useless things for the point of sounding smart. We know you are.... I was just starting to like you too!
Reply Quote
09/15/2011 04:55 PMPosted by Quicksilver

You're so wrong. I'm using windows 8 beta and I'm already getting faster load times and better FPS on all my games. This is only beta too...your statement is pretty much stupid.

No need to be a d**che. I have tried the preview from a while back and I was unimpressed... Downloading the beta now and if what you say is true then great... I will take back what I said.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]