Diablo® III

Window 7 OEM recommened over XP?

Sorry but you are wrong. OEM's are also sold by retailers. The difference is that they are meant for one system install. So if you change your motherboard you have to either crack the OS or buy a new one, even if all the other hardware components are the same.
Edited by ChedWick on 9/15/2011 7:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Windows 7 > XP

XP was a great OS in it's time, but things have moved on and Win7 is fantastic, for gaming, the 64bit version is good advice, DX11 Support, and many other things

Over-all you will be amazed at the extra performance you get with your PC in general by installing Win7.

Win8, last I heard, isn't planned for released until end of 2012, subject to change of course, but it's still worth upgrading to Win7 now
Reply Quote
09/15/2011 07:08 PMPosted by ChedWick
Sorry but you are wrong. OEM's are also sold by retailers. The difference is that they are meant for one system install. So if you change your motherboard you have to either crack the OS or buy a new one, even if all the other hardware components are the same.

I have never had to do this and I've installed it (one install at a time mind you) on multiple Mobos... Never had a problem with OEM. It says all that everyone has said right on the box so I really don't know why you bother. If you built the machine you are putting it on then I say go ahead and get it.
Reply Quote
09/15/2011 02:44 PMPosted by Quicksilver
Umm...You should always buy the 64bit as a gamer. Also, you may as well just wait for windows 8 now. You're pretty behind the times. In fact you have to have Vista or higher for some games now such as Battlefield 3

Windows 8 is terribly overrated and I will not buy it.
Reply Quote
I've used the same key a bunch of times... It just requires that you reactivate on your old computer (if it exists anymore)
Reply Quote
Yeah idk why people are hatin on OEM. It is legit.
Reply Quote
09/15/2011 06:34 PMPosted by Apical

Wrong actually, OEM is licensed to be pre-installed on a new computer and resold, not retained for personal use. If you are spending money because you want to be licensed correctly then you should be buying Windows 7 retail & it will include both x32 & x64 versions. You can also buy a win 7 family pack good for 3 computers for around $130 from microsoft.

They sell it on Newegg... It is almost half the price... It does the same thing... It is payed for. Please don't say useless things for the point of sounding smart. We know you are.... I was just starting to like you too!

Actually I'm not stating useless info. What reason is there to pay for a Windows license unless you are trying to play by the book? You are buying the COA(license), not a $100 disc. So if your going to spend the money for a license you might as well do it correctly. Retail or family pack from microsoft....
Reply Quote
Upgrade from XP as soon as humanly possible you are running a quad core on a OP that doesn't support multiple cores......

Get 7 asap for sure. it will do nothing but good.
Reply Quote
09/15/2011 07:08 PMPosted by ChedWick

You are truly clueless on this subject. The only 'OEM license' activation you would have to hack if you got a new motherboard is a Server license (this is of course violating the terms of license). Microsoft typically allows 3 installs per win 7 license based off the key regardless of OEM, VLK(different type of activation) and retail. You can also use your OEM key with x32 or x64 installations regardless of boxed media. OEM is a license, not some kind of magical different operating system.
Edited by Joshmon on 9/18/2011 1:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]