Diablo® III

Destructible environment need love..

I wouldn't mind it doing 1-3 points of damage. Something that says, 'Hey, you just got hit by a wall.' But not enough that people will be tempted to do it on purpose to hurt their melee buddy because they think it's funny.

Well I gota disagree with you. Taking unrealistic and bare minimal damage from a giant pile of rocks is cheesy, don't you think? About as cheesy and standing under them and having them fall through you.

Maybe take enough damage to where you don't want to get hit by the rocks, but not enough to ruin the gameplay if someone does try to grief and is successful.

Reply Quote
I think that wall that falls should make some dmg if you stay under it...mybe not muuuuuch, but some dmg at least.

Mybe it could increase with the difficulty, like, no dmg at normal, some at nightmare, a good dmg at hell...and better stay away from then in inferno.
Edited by Dzyan on 9/22/2011 6:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
breakable environments hurting players is NOT a good idea. unfortunately there are players out there who take games like these way to seriously to the point of getting pissed. if it hurts players, sure it would add some realism, but its only gonna give room to screwin the co op experience. say i accidently make a wall drop on player n for whatever reason that player dies, im pretty sure he wont be happy even if it was unintentional. not to mention diablo u should be worried about killin demons n not on whether or not a wall is gonna drop on u.
Reply Quote
I think they should hurt players... I don't play with random people, and if I did and someone tried to dirtbag me repeatedly, I'd just leave and not play with them again... Having a couple hundred pound chandelier fall on your head and not even take 5hp damage is pretty lame. There's an idea, why not just nominal damage?

And to add, there are many different flavors of abuse a player can commit. If a player wants to be abusive, we have the option of leaving and not playing with him/her again.

All I see is blizzard sacrificing an aspect of fun gameplay in order to try and achieve "better" cooperative gameplay..... the term better being relative.

It would be rewarding to use potentially dangerous rocks as a weapon, rather than as it is now, as an easy win button.

Diablo is suppose to be a scary game, death awaiting you at every corner and with every choice. Taking away the possibility of taking environmental damage just takes the fun out of the game.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
09/22/2011 06:49 AMPosted by frOst
only downside is griefing potential, which I happen to think is the reason why it doesn't hurt players.

ohhhh nooooo! hold my hand more! Im too inept to avoid a potentially dangerous wall!

Seriously. This is getting out of hand...There is no penalty for death...there is no problem thus, having a little bit of fun and interaction between players.

If a wall fell on you, and your teammate caused it, laugh about it, respawn 3 feet away, and go about your day.

How do you make fun of hand-holding while describing a game in which you apparently don't care if you die? If you're going to think that way then you'd better be playing hardcore.
Reply Quote
Posted by frOst

only downside is griefing potential, which I happen to think is the reason why it doesn't hurt players.

ohhhh nooooo! hold my hand more! Im too inept to avoid a potentially dangerous wall!

Seriously. This is getting out of hand...There is no penalty for death...there is no problem thus, having a little bit of fun and interaction between players.

If a wall fell on you, and your teammate caused it, laugh about it, respawn 3 feet away, and go about your day.

How do you make fun of hand-holding while describing a game in which you apparently don't care if you die? If you're going to think that way then you'd better be playing hardcore.

There is a penalty for dying, a 10% durability cost, which is nominal and probably won't bother most players unless they are hoarding gold... on the contrary, there is no penatly for standing under 2 thousand pounds of rocks...
Reply Quote
make them hurt just a little bit or only hurt those who trigger them.
Reply Quote
Ok so, guys, go watch Forces video on the barb when he first meets the support holding up the rocks...

He hits the rock and runs and yells " EEEP, dont want to get hit by that!"..... until later discovers that the falling rocks do -0- damage, then his reaction turns to .. " oh.. bleh"

Potential of falling rock damage excitement level +10..... after realizing rocks do no damage + 0
Excitment go bye bye.

Reply Quote
09/22/2011 05:07 AMPosted by weaknurse
I don't want to die to a falling bookshelf in hardcore.

-"Man I survived that with 1 hp!!!!!"
-falling books
-really....
Reply Quote
I did lose a a sorc to a fireball book after farming mephisto one night. Complete misclick too.
Reply Quote
There is already a thread dedicated to this topic. Why is it so hard for people to look for a topic they want to post about before posting?
Reply Quote
Another solution I was just thinking about would be to give each character an animation when getting crushed by the rocks, minimal damage but you also become snared under the rocks and it takes you a second to bust out from under them (while under the rocks you are immune to enemy attacks). It's not as if the rocks are unavoidable, used a range attack on them and stay away till you see it fall and your good.
Only jerks would potentially use it to for evil, just don't play with them and make it a small amount of damage.
Reply Quote
88 Undead Warlock
I'd say the OP should offer a compelling reason why this should be done. Outside of 'just because'. Or someone, if anyone would agree with this. I don't see any compelling reason for it, given it will just cause problems that don't help the core gameplay.

Rule of Cool.
Edited by Garamsythe on 9/22/2011 7:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
I want to smash stuff without hesitation.. Who would want to worry about friendly fire?
Reply Quote
How has nobody yet suggested having the falling rocks only damage the player that triggers it? No opportunity for griefing and you still have to make a tactical decision about whether harming yourself is worth the gain. It would be the same as throwing a grenade in CoD. If it hurt your teammates, griefing would be constant, but they obviously can't just let you run into your own explosion.
Reply Quote
09/22/2011 05:20 AMPosted by Chino
"OH !@#$ DONT GET HIT!!!! MAAHAHAUAHAHAAH GOERGE DIED ROFLEROFL".....

I raged.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]