Diablo® III

How will Diablo 3 servers be funded?

60 Undead Warlock
Since Diablo 3 is basically a MMO on the infrastructure side, won't Blizzard be losing money in the long run with no monthly fees? The $60 initial game cost will no doubt go to recouping the decade long development costs and I highly doubt they will be generating enough revenue from the RMAH to pay the bandwidth and server bills every month.

Might we see some micro transaction vanity items down the road? I'm sure Blizzard has this all worked out but I can't see how it's feasible as an outsider.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
They will be making money off transaction fees on the RMAH.
Reply Quote
Blizzard needing money? ahaha
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
RMAH will help on a lot on infrastructure costs but I wouldn't rule out some kind of marketplace vanity items down the road.
Reply Quote
RMAH, $60+ expansions that won't require nearly as much development as the original game, and they'll probably sell account upgrade type stuff like additional character slots.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
09/22/2011 05:39 AMPosted by Som
Since Diablo 3 is basically a MMO

Diablo 3 isn't "basically an MMO". The servers will be funded the same way the Diablo 2 ones were. People buy the game. That money goes (among other things) towards server upkeep. Also, profits from the RMAH.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
they get money via their other games and the RMAH

the game doesnt warrant a subscription fee. its not an mmo, tho it has manyy similar qualities.
Reply Quote
"How will diablo 3 servers be funded?" Blizzard will pay for them with the money we give to them... SURPRISE!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
How did they manage it with Diablo 2? I doubt the infrastructure for that was a slouch, though might not be as big as what they're doing with D3.
Reply Quote
09/22/2011 05:44 AMPosted by Nemuraan
Since Diablo 3 is basically a MMO

Diablo 3 isn't "basically an MMO". The servers will be funded the same way the Diablo 2 ones were. People buy the game. That money goes (among other things) towards server upkeep. Also, profits from the RMAH.

you cut out the part where he says "on the infrastructure side"

in which case, he's actually correct.
Reply Quote
09/22/2011 05:41 AMPosted by Rurie

This. A flat fee on every RMAH transaction will probably turn out to be a lot more than you would think.... Mooooooooooo
Reply Quote
The same way they fund Starcraft 2 servers, with their Hoard of cash!
Reply Quote
the same way sc2 makes money, people buy the game, then we buy merchandise associated with it lol, and i presume rmah will beable to provide alot of support
Reply Quote
Pimpin' out hookers and sellin' blow.
Edited by Ronic on 9/22/2011 5:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
cobbler gnomes?
Reply Quote
60 Undead Warlock
09/22/2011 05:41 AMPosted by Rurie

But the RMAH is not proven, it could be a huge flop for all we know. Seems like a pretty big gamble if that's their master plan for revenue.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
i believe the infrastructure side of wow is 135k a month.. which i am not sure of but it is a figure i have seen..thats 10k subs of their 11 million subs

if only 1 million people play the game an average 2 dollars in rmah fees a month..there is plenty of server upkeep money
Reply Quote
Also, it may be "similar" to WoW. But there won't be as many players, and it won't take nearly as much power. There will be much less "information" to keep track of with D3 compared to WoW, and I'll bet its not as taxing on their servers
Reply Quote
Unlike a traditional MMO with a static map, structures and enemies everything is randomly generated but a few pieces. As well as the game worlds are small servers for only 4 players it does not put nearly as much strain as an MMO does. Blizzard would be able to keep the servers up for quite awhile before starting to take a loss on it financially but by that time transaction fees from the RMAH should have been kicking in awhile and they can use the spare funds from that.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
09/22/2011 05:47 AMPosted by Fuglypump

you cut out the part where he says "on the infrastructure side"

in which case, he's actually correct.

well on the other hand, so is SC2, and its just fine and doesnt run on subscriptions either.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]