Diablo® III

Why I dislike the current Public Game system.

I dunno, I have a sick monk damage soak/heal build.
Reply Quote
09/22/2011 11:24 AMPosted by Khrono
Basically Blizzard has said 'Lol, play with friends (who probably suck) or roll the dice dawg"

isn't that how like, every online game works?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
this is a great point - on HC i wanna play on inferno mode with people looking to kill diablo repeatedly now theres no way to be matched in a game like this - needs fixing before game release.
Reply Quote
09/22/2011 11:50 AMPosted by Khrono
I dunno, I have a sick monk damage soak/heal build.

But what option do you find more likely: another player from a different class/spec has a good, effective build with good items, or you find that one particular build with good items?

Build won't matter as much as gear in this game, especially when you can change builds so quickly.

09/22/2011 11:53 AMPosted by Ryft
this is a great point - on HC i wanna play on inferno mode with people looking to kill diablo repeatedly now theres no way to be matched in a game like this - needs fixing before game release.

Ryft: Why would you want to kill Diablo over and over if he's going to have the same loot drops as the other major bosses? That's how Inferno works, and you'd be better off killing all of them in one game, then moving on to the next.
Reply Quote
That is where you are wrong sir.

High tier Runes will be hard to get and therefore people will form main specs.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Posted by Ryft

Ryft: Why would you want to kill Diablo over and over if he's going to have the same loot drops as the other major bosses? That's how Inferno works, and you'd be better off killing all of them in one game, then moving on to the next.

personally that hasnt been officially announced, plus why wouldnt the hardest boss in the game drop the best loot - that wouldnt make sense in the slightest - ive posted on other similar threads like "why would a quill rat in act 1 drop the same loot as diablo" thats the unreasonable assumption evar mayde.

edit: plus if u watch livecasts - the skeleton king drops far more and better loot than anything else in the game.
Edited by Ryft on 9/22/2011 12:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Actually it has been confirmed Ryft. All mobs in Inferno will be basically the same difficulty and all bosses as well. (Bosses will be harder than mobs but not harder than each other regardless of act).
Reply Quote
Just to clarify for those not aware. We have virtually no information on how Inferno will work. The dev's have stated only their intent for it and some incredibly basic facts most of which even they stated are subject to change without notice.

The only statements that are definitive and not really subject to change so far are:

No monsters will be less than level 61.
There is a tier of gear that drops only in inferno.
Tier 7 runes drop only in Inferno.

Everything else is either entirely unstated or readily subject to change. This includes things like:

Whether you will have to progress through the entire game again or will just have access to all waypoints.
How the loot system will actually work to meet the stated goal of farming all areas being equally profitable.
Many other things.
Edited by iPanda on 9/22/2011 12:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Khrono: I kind of assumed that runes would make specs more solid, but I can't find any info on that. Could you point me to some? I mean, will it be possible to unsocket the runes out of a skill and move it to another spec? Or perhaps they'll stay in each skill, even when the skill isn't activated.

Ryft: They have officially announced it. Check out this video, at about 2:45 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBH9wsIGbYU
"It takes the whole game and flattens [the difficulty]". I assume that bosses will drop *more* loot, but that doesn't mean they can drop better loot than everything else. Hell, they might have a better chance to drop better loot, but still have the same max. Even then, killing 100 zombies might be better than killing bosses.

Edit: iPanda: If all we have to go on is their intentions, then surely we shouldn't assume right away that they'll fail and start freaking out, right?
Edited by Barbarossa on 9/22/2011 12:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I think it may be too soon to pass judgment on the public game system when testers can only get to 13 and we have absolutely no data to support any new non testable features such as the new inferno mode.

That being said I will share my opinion which is you are both correct and incorrect. Not all games will be played by having that 'need this class' mentality but there will be those games floating out there.
Reply Quote
09/22/2011 12:14 PMPosted by Trejan
Not all games will be played by having that 'need this class' mentality but there will be those games floating out there.

Oh I agree, but I've been trying to point out reasons why one shouldn't need a particular class to succeed - mostly because gear should more than compensate differences in class.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
09/22/2011 11:53 AMPosted by Ryft

there is a way. You will have the quest to kill diablo as your game description or start point or however that works, you wouldn't create a game on the skeleton king quest if your goal is to kill diablo.
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure that they want you to find friends either from real life that play or from guys you played with from lvl 1-60 that you would want to play inferno with.

The fast match system is just if you don't/can't find anyone that you know online. Besides, know for example that you want a specific set of classes won't actually help since you don't know the other players and what their builds are. Two witchdoctors might play completely different. You might want a healer monk and get a pure dps one.

If you want specific builds then add players that you enjoy and are competent to your friends list. That way you can have a better party than any quick match system ever could...even if Blizzard does add tons of bells and whistles.
Reply Quote
I imagine this will work out like all games have in the past. You roll the dice a few times, someone impresses you, you become friends, you stop having to roll the dice.
Reply Quote
Posted by Ryft

personally that hasnt been officially announced, plus why wouldnt the hardest boss in the game drop the best loot - that wouldnt make sense in the slightest - ive posted on other similar threads like "why would a quill rat in act 1 drop the same loot as diablo" thats the unreasonable assumption evar mayde.

edit: plus if u watch livecasts - the skeleton king drops far more and better loot than anything else in the game.

It has been announced. There is also a blue post that specifically says that non-boss areas will be as profitable, and possibly more profitable, than boss areas.

What you have to understand is that this does not mean that a quill rat will necessarily have the same drops as a boss. There are a LOT of ways they could do this.

One way is to have all drops be possible off all mobs, but make bosses have considerably better odds of dropping them. So you might have to kill 100 quill rats to get the same odds of getting item X as Diablo offers with 1 kill. If it generally takes 10 minutes to kill 100 quill rats and 10 minutes to kill Diablo, then it would be well balanced... And keep in mind it might take 10,000 Diablo kills to "guarantee" the drop, so it would take 1,000,000 quill rat kills to do the same.

Another way they could do it is to not give regular mobs a shot of dropping the best items in the game, but do allow special enemies (champions, mini-bosses, etc.) to drop them, again with much worse odds than Bosses. So it might take 10 special enemy kills to get the same odds as killing one regular boss. Then to balance difficulty they could tend to spawn special enemies in packs, which could actually be a lot harder than a boss fight if they do it right, especially since the powers could vary so much that you might need to use a different kind of skill (fire, poison, physical, etc.) for each of the different special enemies.

Yet another option would be to have certain kinds of items only drop from certain kinds of monsters. For instance gems could drop only from normal monsters in Inferno, the top legendaries only from bosses, the top rare affixes only from mini-bosses, and the top runes only from champions, etc. By spreading around where things come from it would encourage people to farm different areas, or at the very least kill everything on their way to the boss they are farming instead of skipping over everything.

Super-special mobs randomly placed in the game (so you get jumped by/find them at random) that are as tough as bosses and drop just as well.

The options are nearly endless, including a mix of multiple options.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
09/22/2011 12:16 PMPosted by Barbarossa
Not all games will be played by having that 'need this class' mentality but there will be those games floating out there.

Oh I agree, but I've been trying to point out reasons why one shouldn't need a particular class to succeed - mostly because gear should more than compensate differences in class.

I agree with that as well. Now I'm totally speculating here but it may be possible that bliz may have considered only having 4 player slots to intentionally 'leave' out somebody (a class). Of course there will be games where they may be 2 barbs or what not so no matter what 2 are left out and etc etc. The information to take away from that is that you obviously dont need either a certain class or certain spec to succeed, even through the difficulties. That's my thought on that.
Reply Quote
I mean, will it be possible to unsocket the runes out of a skill and move it to another spec? Or perhaps they'll stay in each skill, even when the skill isn't activated.

I don't think it is final but last I heard runes go into the skill and can then be swapped out with another rune but that rune is now bound to only that skill.

Example:

- Obtain Alabaster Runestone

- You place Alabaster Runestone into skill [Hungering Arrow]

- Alabaster Runestone is now [Spray of Teeth] and will remain as such for life.

- You may take it out and place a different runestone in [Hungering Arrow] to mod it in a different way.

- That Alabaster Runestone (Spray of Teeth) may no longer be placed in any other skill.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
This is not WoW there are no heals or tank, Every single class/spec is just fine for killing stuff, the mobs do not have enrage timers there is no minimum dps necessary to beat anything.

Therefore what spec/build the players have you joined with is 100% irrelevant.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]