Diablo® III

Just don't have Mf

Everyone is going nuts. Just get rid of magic-find. It's a stupid idea to have it as a stat attached to items anyway.

We've known for years now that it was a fundamental problem: players forsaking their best gear (purportedly the driving force of rpg gaming) in the hopes of finding their conceptually perfect gear in a world with thousands of possible modifiers on loot.

It's dumb, and it turns the game into a job; it strips naked the mechanics of pursuing greater power in a game. Just take it out and let players work with that .02 chance of diablo dropping their most-coveted piece.

In the world of the RMAH (which I'm a huge fan of), it makes the second-best-in-slot-item probably worth less than the equivalent of a topaz-laden six-slot chest piece. In D2 terms.

It's like you design this beautiful game system, and you throw this horrible mechanism into it that makes a mockery of the whole point of grinding loot.

There are only a few solutions:

1. eliminate MF (my favorite)
2. Restrict MF to a few instances (amulets/rings, gems only, etc. so it can't become the all-mighty-yet-fundamentally-useless stat)
3. make MF something that builds at the level cap. After 60 you essentially gain levels in MF, or something. This isn't the best solution but if you're intend on keeping MF it makes the most sense.

the bottom line is that it was a dumb idea to begin with, an idea that goes against all the core basics of the loot hunt game (imagine wow if there was a stat that made drops for your class more likely....imagine the drama, the carnage, the vent-tears) and just get rid of it.
Reply Quote
seeing this just after I post a civil response in the other thread just makes me want to take a arrow to the knee -.-
Reply Quote
I like MF, and I like it as is.
Reply Quote
@Ardis

I've taken an arrow in the knee or two myself, and your post was right on the money IMO...if we're going to have it. I personally don't like it, but if we're gonna keep the MF system they just need to make a situation where the GROUP decides the value of such.

Frankly, I'm just tired of people posting about it, it's like the "korea is delaying diabs3!!!" all over again.

I just wish they would release the frickin' game so we can actually find out the real issues to gripe about.
Reply Quote
*shrugs* I just think that if you go have it, have a nice boot system, that way people who abuse it while joining up can get kicked, or have a group of 4 people and have one designated for mf (maybe have a shared mf that whoever has the most % sets for what the entire party has). Another thing that would probably help is have trading in game (not sure if its in or not right now so excuse me if I sound stupid) but that way the one person who has mf can trade others the items that would be good for them if nothing drops for his class. I just want everyone to have some kinda middle ground to be happy so we can has our d3 >.<
Reply Quote
You are tired of people posting about it so you... in turn... post about it? Blizzard is not going to remove it, simply wont happen. The only viable choice I see is making 'leeching' a reportable offense and dealing with it that way. Every other way is quite frankly, too extreme and is simply bringing a chainsaw for surgery.
Reply Quote
Wrong Nilrem. A good idea would be to make the person who gets the killing blow have their MF translate over to everyone else's drops. I think it is a fair compromise.
Reply Quote
You guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill out of sheer boredom and frustration. Please take a step back and calm down. It'll all be fine as it is.
Reply Quote
Might I clarify that I would rather they do nothing to change how MF works than anything...
Reply Quote
12/29/2011 10:18 PMPosted by Robotgravy
Just get rid of magic-find.

Faily goddy. Gtfo. Kthx
Reply Quote

2. Restrict MF to a few instances (amulets/rings, gems only, etc. so it can't become the all-mighty-yet-fundamentally-useless stat)

removing mf altogether seems a bit too extreme for me.

But your second solution is more preferable.

Specifically only provide MF via gemming/socket as well as enchantments.

the only thing i didn't like about MF, is it already being on some gear (without having been gemed or enchanted with it).

This then makes you choose between gear with high MF, or gear that has better pve dps stats. Most alarming was choosing between gear with high MF and set items like immortal king etc which are awesome but does not have as much MF.

To deal with the situation, players didn't wear full sets most of the time. They just replaced the low MF pieces, with high MF alternatives.

But you'd be missing out on the extremely good set bonuses of set gears like the immortal king.

I find it unbelievable why people are not finding any problem with that ?

Are they really ok with it like this ? Or are they just mindlessly approving everything blizzard does.

Some previous comments even tried to justify this saying, it's always been that way since day 1.

But so what ? Doesn't necessarily make it the best/fun system.

So anyway my solution if you can only add mf stats via

1. socketing gems
2. enchanting

Pros:

Can wear any specific gear, and even set gear items you want without the MF worry hanging over your head

So no longer will you have to be forced to not use whole set items.

Finally you can enjoy wearing the good dps gear you find.

Cons:

This still doesn't solve the issue of prioritizing MF or DPS stats for PVE. But it's the lesser of 2 evils. But on the positive side, you can remove gems from sockets, and re-enchant gear to do achievement runs, or PVP.

My 5cents.
Edited by Moogle on 12/30/2011 6:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
I guess eveyone does not include myself.

Tell me. What is it like with multiple personality disorder?

MF is fine. /thread
Reply Quote
Let me map out how this is going to go.

1. Game release
2. Players will utilize MF
3. No one will notice anyone else using MF gear because they're having fun, even if the game is .01% harder.
5. Profit.
Reply Quote
I thought a simple MF solution would be to just change how the affix is assigned.

All items have one slot for an affix that can only every be MF, GF, or XP. Nothing else. So each player can choose to Whether they want magic, gold, or experience when selecting gear, and the choice never effects their damage dealing or defensive abilities.

Reply Quote
I thought a simple MF solution would be to just change how the affix is assigned.

All items have one slot for an affix that can only every be MF, GF, or XP. Nothing else. So each player can choose to Whether they want magic, gold, or experience when selecting gear, and the choice never effects their damage dealing or defensive abilities.
That flies in the face of the whole risk vs. reward thing that MF/GF/XP has enjoyed since D2.
Reply Quote
I played hundreds of hours of Diablo 2, and recognize MF is a flawed mechanic. If you think otherwise, you are most likely kidding yourself, or bought a lot of items off third party sites, or botted yourself.

Legitimate play of Diablo 2, with no dupes/botting/3rd party sites/etc. did NOT support Magic Find as being a valid game mechanic. Key Word: Legitimate.

Unfortunately I doubt Blizzard will take the drastic, if right decision, and remove it entirely.

Ultra rare drops, with people spending hundreds of hours farming for them with their max MF setups, fit nicely into their RMAH/GAH system. This isn't a conspiracy post, just saying their new business model definitely favors leaving MF in the game, as well as having a very low drop rate on 'great' items, rather than removing it entirely.

On the plus side, the crafting, at least currently in the beta, seems strong enough that you will be able to progress through the game and recycle all the garbage drops into halfway decent gear, to supplement the few decent rares/uniques you find in legitimate play.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]