Diablo® III

Online Only Requirement (I love this)

This will be great, no more single player! People sitting around complaining about how they can't play while they are on a business trip or whatever stupid justification they use.

This will enhance the overall security of Diablo 3. If you played back in Diablo 2 pre and post LOD then you know what I am talking about.

Thank you Blizzard for finally implementing this.
Reply Quote
but what if I am on a plane and want to slay demons
Reply Quote
12/31/2011 12:25 PMPosted by KhaydarinXxX
In-flight WiFi, brother!
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 1/4/2012 7:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
KhaydarinXxX

You install D2 from your soulstone and play it.
Reply Quote
Q/A

Q "I have a bad internet connection bcuz my parents hav de comc4st"
A: I have comcast and never had any issues, switch ISPs?

Q "I don't like the community and I prefer to play by myself."
A: Then.. create a game by yourself and be alone but keep in mind you will need the internet to do so.

Q "This is redicuclus I am paying 4 deh service if teh serverurs are offline how do I play3lol?"
A: You don't, go outside or do something productive while the team is fixing things up. Blizzard's job is not to cater to your every need.

Q "Insert typical generic forum argument"
A: *Loads Shotgun*
Reply Quote
I have no idea who is feeding you these lies, single player doesn't "help" hackers. They use hooks or packet modifiers. Single player mode has nothing to do with it.
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 1/4/2012 7:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/31/2011 12:39 PMPosted by Empty
I have no idea who is feeding you these lies, single player doesn't "help" hackers. They use hooks or packet modifiers. Single player mode has nothing to do with it.

orly? care to explain how blizzards master plan is going to be foiled? you are, afterall, completely contradicting what blizz said specifically about online only preventing hacks ect

how is everything being stored serverside not going to do anything?

how will hackers still get the info?

you seem to know much about this issue, so id love to hear what deduction youve used

edit: here is me explaining why it helps, and why online only prevents hacks (tho, im sure others could be more technical, and correct, but i have the general idea right)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3821264616?page=8#148
Edited by Honor on 12/31/2011 1:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
If you provide a good enough service, nobody will want to pirate the offline version. THAT should be their motto, not this untrustworthy disrespectful motto they serve by today.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Q/A

Q "I have a bad internet connection bcuz my parents hav de comc4st"
A: I have comcast and never had any issues, switch ISPs?

A: Then.. create a game by yourself and be alone but keep in mind you will need the internet to do so.

Q "This is redicuclus I am paying 4 deh service if teh serverurs are offline how do I play3lol?"
A: You don't, go outside or do something productive while the team is fixing things up. Blizzard's job is not to cater to your every need.

A: *Loads Shotgun*

let me fix that for you

Q/A

Q "I have a bad internet connection
A: There's no such thing as bad internet, you obviously live in a basement and have internet provided for you by cheap parents. Sucks to be you, you don't deserve to play this game

A: I don't blame you, and the option is available for you!

Q "If the servers are offline, how do I play?"
A: You don't. I can tell you the technical reason why (that being you need to connect to our servers to play, even if you are playing alone), but I can't tell you the actual reason why we decided to do it like this, because really there is no reason. It's not more secure, it won't stop people from hacking and emulating the game (case in point, current state of the beta crack) and it certainly isn't more convenient, paying customer or no.

A: *quote back own post, fix obvious generalizations, repost*
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
12/31/2011 01:36 PMPosted by Phreak
If you provide a good enough service, nobody will want to pirate the offline version. THAT should be their motto, not this untrustworthy disrespectful motto they serve by today.

there's actually a very good interview of gabe newell that touches on exactly this point. Valve is at a weird point in the gaming industry where piracy is basically a non-issue, even when providing services to parts of the world industry experts swore were crawling with pirates and would rip them off at every turn.

You can find the interview pretty easily if you just google valve immune to piracy or gabe newell interview, but I'll paraphrase some key points here.

Most DRM operates by creating elements of inconvenience or uncertainty for paying customers. This is a !@#$ty way to do DRM, and if a more convenient version of the game is available for pirating, illegal or not, people will choose that one.

Steam operates by making games really convenient to buy, authenticate, and play, in most cases providing a service that is even more convenient than finding an illegal copy of the game to pirate.

One quote of his I really liked went something along the lines of "if the game you want to play is only available for restricted access, 6 months after the actual release, at an increased price, and in a brick and mortar store" (gabe is describing australia, for all of you thinking I'm just contriving a horrible but nonexistent situation to drive home a point) "then they will obviously choose to pirate the game"

making the game offline only is making the game less convenient (live on a naval base? off the grid? travel a lot? I personally live in an apartment complex where somehow, it's rigged so that whenever anyone in this complex turns on a ps3, everybody loses internet for about 20 seconds) and introduces elements of uncertainty (will my net go down? yes. The question is, when, and what will I be doing in game when it does?)

people say a pirated version isn't possible because of "all this fantastic security!" but I ask you, if a pirated version does suddenly exist, it can be played offline, and you are one of those people with less than perfect internet, which will you choose?
Reply Quote
kamvaera, u should read a little, in each of these 2 threads, before posting and moving on

there are very good reasons why its online only. make sure you know them before arguing against it
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
kamvaera, u should read a little, in each of these 2 threads, before posting and moving on

there are very good reasons why its online only. make sure you know them before arguing against it

reasons like....?

edit - no seriously, I want to hear what you think these good reasons actually are. I'd love to hear the way people like you think. Enlighten me.

I'm going to predict you go off on a rant about how good online only is for security and how it makes the game impervious to hacking. I'm going to also predict that you completely disregard the version of the beta that has already been hacked, despite being "online only and impervious to hacking"
Edited by Kamvaera on 12/31/2011 2:02 PM PST
Reply Quote

people say a pirated version isn't possible because of "all this fantastic security!" but I ask you, if a pirated version does suddenly exist, it can be played offline, and you are one of those people with less than perfect internet, which will you choose?

Overall decent post, but this is a bit misleading. First off, an emulated server will have a ways to go yet to be as good as the actual servers. So, while you'll be able to play D3 without actually paying for it, you will have to wait for it to be any good. Also, just because you will be able to play D3 without the official servers doesn't mean you have to use a "pirated" version of it. If D3 is anything like WoW, changing where you access your servers is as easy as opening a file in notepad and changing the IP address. D2 and older Blizzard titles were just as easy, but you changed the IP address in the registry.

I don't really see pirating as big a deal as people make it out to be anyway. If I were to pirate something, it'd be something I'd never pay for. They don't lose customers in that case, and in fact it might actually gain them reputation (and thus more customers). Also, another way to cut pirating is by adding less garbage to their games and lowering the cost (who wants to pay 60 dollars for a game you'll only play ONCE?)
Reply Quote

reasons like....?

edit - no seriously, I want to hear what you think these good reasons actually are. I'd love to hear the way people like you think. Enlighten me.

I'm going to predict you go off on a rant about how good online only is for security and how it makes the game impervious to hacking. I'm going to also predict that you completely disregard the version of the beta that has already been hacked, despite being "online only and impervious to hacking"

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3821264616?page=8#148
stopped at the post, gj predicting it!

but i must ask, how exactly was the beta hacked? im also not being sarcastic ^^ (nor rude)

if you mean making their own seperate servers, that is irrelevant, unless they can then, also take those chars back into the bnet2 servers undetected, with hacked settings in any way (or bringing them at all). this only matters tho, if, like you were, im also correct in my prediction, if not id honestly love to hear it

edit: for the record, im just saying, it only matters, if the alterations they make are something that effects the real system we are all in. them taking themselves out of that system doesnt effect it anymore than them not buying the game does. it only matters if it can effect you or me
Edited by Honor on 12/31/2011 2:28 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]