Diablo® III

Online Only Requirement (I love this)

12/31/2011 12:39 PMPosted by Empty
I have no idea who is feeding you these lies, single player doesn't "help" hackers. They use hooks or packet modifiers. Single player mode has nothing to do with it.

Clearly you didn't play back then and weren't part of exploits.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
<span class="truncated" />

reasons like....?

edit - no seriously, I want to hear what you think these good reasons actually are. I'd love to hear the way people like you think. Enlighten me.

I'm going to predict you go off on a rant about how good online only is for security and how it makes the game impervious to hacking. I'm going to also predict that you completely disregard the version of the beta that has already been hacked, despite being "online only and impervious to hacking"

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3821264616?page=8#148
stopped at the post, gj predicting it!

but i must ask, how exactly was the beta hacked? im also not being sarcastic ^^ (nor rude)

if you mean making their own seperate servers, that is irrelevant, unless they can then, also take those chars back into the bnet2 servers undetected, with hacked settings in any way (or bringing them at all). this only matters tho, if, like you were, im also correct in my prediction, if not id honestly love to hear it

edit: for the record, im just saying, it only matters, if the alterations they make are something that effects the real system we are all in. them taking themselves out of that system doesnt effect it anymore than them not buying the game does. it only matters if it can effect you or me

I'm being purposefully vague on the hacked status of the beta because, understandably, I'm a little concerned about posting links and screenshots to a hacked blizzard service on the blizzard official forums.

I will not encourage nor suggest you google the diablo 3 beta emulator, because that would be encouraging hacking, which I won't do. However, I will provide some insignificant details if you'd like.

About a week after the beta was in its friends and family stages, videos and screenshots of a beta emulated server started floating around. It was unstable as hell, crashed every few seconds, and at that point items and enemies were not implemented, all you could do was walk around the world.

Since then, it's improved a lot, though still nowhere near the quality of an officially hosted sever. Everything functions as it should, though there is a fair bit of teleporting pathing, and it chugs pretty hard. The team that's behind the emulated server is pretty dedicated, and if they get a halfway passable server emulator out there on the internet, it will be very appealing for anybody currently deployed in the army (bases themselves have bad internet, naval deployments have no internet), anyone who travels a lot, or just people who have chronically bad internet. The game might run like crap, but at least it will run

PS - I have not personally downloaded or played the cracked beta emulator. All I know about it is word of mouth
Edited by Kamvaera on 12/31/2011 2:37 PM PST
Reply Quote

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3821264616?page=8#148
stopped at the post, gj predicting it!

but i must ask, how exactly was the beta hacked? im also not being sarcastic ^^ (nor rude)

if you mean making their own seperate servers, that is irrelevant, unless they can then, also take those chars back into the bnet2 servers undetected, with hacked settings in any way (or bringing them at all). this only matters tho, if, like you were, im also correct in my prediction, if not id honestly love to hear it

edit: for the record, im just saying, it only matters, if the alterations they make are something that effects the real system we are all in. them taking themselves out of that system doesnt effect it anymore than them not buying the game does. it only matters if it can effect you or me

I'm being purposefully vague on the hacked status of the beta because, understandably, I'm a little concerned about posting links and screenshots to a hacked blizzard service on the blizzard official forums.

I will not encourage nor suggest you google the diablo 3 beta emulator, because that would be encouraging hacking, which I won't do. However, I will provide some insignificant details if you'd like.

About a week after the beta was in its friends and family stages, videos and screenshots of a beta emulated server started floating around. It was unstable as hell, crashed every few seconds, and at that point items and enemies were not implemented, all you could do was walk around the world.

Since then, it's improved a lot, though still nowhere near the quality of an officially hosted sever. Everything functions as it should, though there is a fair bit of teleporting pathing, and it chugs pretty hard. The team that's behind the emulated server is pretty dedicated, and if they get a halfway passable server emulator out there on the internet, it will be very appealing for anybody currently deployed in the army (bases themselves have bad internet, naval deployments have no internet), anyone who travels a lot, or just people who have chronically bad internet. The game might run like crap, but at least it will run

PS - I have not personally downloaded or played the cracked beta emulator. All I know about it is word of mouth

thats exactly what i wanted to know thanks =]

im actually glad to hear that! you see, i understand the need for an offline mode due to people with internet problems, and i feel for them. to these people, and the creators of the emulated server, i say grats, and gl! no hard feelings whatsoever.... however, this to my terms at least, isnt really hacking. ive actually already responded to this in an edit of the post you made D=

so yea... you should read that ^^

edit: i bolded it in this post
Edited by Honor on 12/31/2011 2:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
What about us folk who are in the military and get deployed? No gaming internet access for us.

The only argument I've heard to counter this is "deal with it" pretty much.
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 1/4/2012 7:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
What about us folk who are in the military and get deployed? No gaming internet access for us.

I got deployed to South Korea. Had a high speed internet connection online within days of getting off the plane.

You can volunteer to goto places like South Korea instead of just waiting and hoping you don't get deployed to places like Afghanistan you know?

Serving in the military is a choice, one which you make knowing you will lose certain privileges and freedoms. If you didn't want to make these sacrifices then you shouldn't have signed up.

Nothing is worse than a "Hero" volunteering to serve his country just to whine and cry about it the whole time.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
thats exactly what i wanted to know thanks =]

im actually glad to hear that! you see, i understand the need for an offline mode due to people with internet problems, and i feel for them. to these people, and the creators of the emulated server, i say grats, and gl! no hard feelings whatsoever.... however, this to my terms at least, isnt really hacking. ive actually already responded to this in an edit of the post you made D=

so yea... you should read that ^^

edit: i bolded it in this post

ah, I completely missed your earlier post, thanks for bolding that for me (polite and convenient? I might not be on the right forums) to my understanding, the battle net system of diablo 2 was supposed to accomplish what you describe, where players could play single player characters completely offline, but those characters could never carry over to closed battle.net games. They had the option of playing open battle.net games, with the understanding that 99% of people playing those games had hacked their characters while offline, and would ruin their gaming experience.

The single player offline-mode characters, and the hacks that came with them, were segregated from the online closed battle.net characters, and it's in closed battle.net that all the meaningful gameplay and accomplishments were supposed to happen. Of course, this design was tarnished slightly in that even the closed battle.net had some major security holes that led to hacks, but I still feel it was a good design.

Let people who want to play offline, play offline, with the understanding that characters created and/or played offline can never join players online, their integrity having been compromised while progressing outside of blizzard's security.

Let people who want to play online, play online, with the understanding that there are some people in the world that are playing offline and hacking their games, but players playing online will never see them, because their characters cannot transfer from their potentially tainted offline world, to their own pristine online-only world
Reply Quote
polite and convenient? I might not be on the right forums

nope ur dreaming D=

i have my name as it is for a reason afterall =P

and also i hafta lol at this part bc of reason said after quote >.>

12/31/2011 02:56 PMPosted by Kamvaera
to my understanding, the battle net system of diablo 2 was supposed to accomplish what you describe

xept instead of diablo 2, put in emulated servers to my response to the rest of ur post...

you see, thats actually better... that the offline will be in emulated servers, because the part of hacking that got into closed bnet, was bc of the data needed on our computers side of the system to have single player/offline mode.

with the game having no option on its own, there is no computer side data to base bots and hacks off of. all the things they need to protect to keep the servers clean will be on their side. so the only way duped items and bots really make it into the game, is if the servers themselves are hacked.

i can tell you right now, that this game will be as hack free as world of warcraft is, and for the same reason(s)
Reply Quote
12/31/2011 03:04 PMPosted by Honor
polite and convenient? I might not be on the right forums

nope ur dreaming D=

12/31/2011 02:56 PMPosted by Kamvaera
to my understanding, the battle net system of diablo 2 was supposed to accomplish what you describe

xept instead of diablo 2, put in emulated servers to my response to the rest of ur post...

you see, thats actually better... that the offline will be in emulated servers, because the part of hacking that got into closed bnet, was bc of the data needed on our computers side of the system to have single player/offline mode.

with the game having no option on its own, there is no computer side data to base bots and hacks off of. all the things they need to protect to keep the servers clean will be on their side. so the only way duped items and bots really make it into the game, is if the servers themselves are hacked.

i can tell you right now, that this game will be as hack free as world of warcraft is, and for the same reason(s)

Whoa. Wait a minute. Did you REALLY just suggest that WoW is hack and/or bot free? Cause, that idea is absolutely ludicrous.

It's nothing of the sort. We've got those lovely level 1 bots teleporting around in the ground farming ores, and herbs. We've got the gold selling spam bots. We've got the gold-seller bots floating in mid-air in SW/Org. We've got the AH bots too, don't forget those!

Now then, again, you're not REALLY trying to suggest that WoW is hack and/or bot free in the LEAST bit are you?

EDIT: It's been awhile since I played WoW, couldn't stand Cata. So, I probably missed some bots/hacks.
Edited by Erano on 12/31/2011 3:21 PM PST
Reply Quote

nope ur dreaming D=

Whoa. Wait a minute. Did you REALLY just suggest that WoW is hack and/or bot free? Cause, that idea is absolutely ludicrous.

It's nothing of the sort. We've got those lovely level 1 bots teleporting around in the ground farming ores, and herbs. We've got the gold selling spam bots. We've got the gold-seller bots floating in mid-air in SW/Org. We've got the AH bots too, don't forget those!

Now then, again, you're not REALLY trying to suggest that WoW is hack and/or bot free in the LEAST bit are you?

ah thats right, the bots, oh the bots, i forgot about them now that i dont play that game. sorry i was mistaken...

however, bots in wow are there because the mobs are easy, and static, and the ground is always the same, the map never changes unless you progress in quests. so making bots are easy in wow

diablo 3 will have less hacks than wow

it will because those kind of bots running rampant in WoW, can because of its mechanics, its targeting systems and static everything. with everything in diablo 3 being (mostly) random, and with no such targeting system, those same bots cannot exist.

i suppose i cant say if any better bot will be able to lurk sanctuary for sure... but considering blizzards faith in themselves on the subject, i too, will have faith til proven wrong.

in d2 there were also hacks, but those have been prevented due to being an online only game, thus having all (most of) the data server side

i simply forsee there being no bots. could be wrong. prolly not. tho i do hafta say, if and when they do get thru, im pretty sure blizz will be hasty this time around in stomping them out. bc if im right and they are very scarce occurrances, they will be rare events and easily trackable and stopped once found (funded by the RMAH)

edit: oh also, i forgot to mention inferno and its incredible difficulty. itll be too hard for bots. much too hard. the best bots could ever hope to accomplish is farming gold (just in terms of the difficulty of the game, and assuming the bots get in at all), or very small and specific parts of inferno, which blizzard could always adjust
Edited by Honor on 12/31/2011 4:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Online only is an unfortunate but understandable limitation.

I would love to be able to play offline only and enable whatever offline cheats my heart desires to further tailor the game to my style. This is how I played Diablo 2, only going online for maybe 2 hours of gameplay before realizing that it was not an enjoyable experience that way thanks to griefers.

It's unfortunate that I won't be able to just create a max level powerhouse in Diablo 3 to play with just to experience what would otherwise takes thousands of hours of gameplay or tons of money in the RMAH.
Edited by Babinro on 12/31/2011 6:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

You hold a WoW subscription, so what are you trying to say? You are either part of the target demographic or you're not.

I've made this argument several times. Ninjarawrior did not contradict himself.

I will buy D3 and be happy to play it at home. Deployed... Well then I'll probably still play it anyway. The game might be bit frustrating dealing with latency between 750-5000ms, but playable between 0200 and 0600 when network usage is low enough to fall under 800 ms.

It would be absolutely great if offline was available AND did nothing to harm the online community. It's very sad that the hackers, piracy, and duping forced Blizzard to take this stance.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]