Diablo® III

Barbarian tank is this viable at all ?

I like it.

I would replace Cleave's Broadsweep for Rupture for a more "AoE" effect, those corpse explosions seem like a sweet way to get extra attention; or maybe Reaping Swings for the extra Fury.

What do you think about replacing Whirlwind with Overpower with Revel for that sweet selfheal?.

In your passives, I dunno maybe switching one of them for Pound of Flesh, so it aids your Hammer of the Ancients - Birthright better?
Reply Quote
hiiiiissssssssssssssssssss

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/3354996/
Reply Quote
I'm not going to comment on your build specifically.

What I will say is that a "tanky" build could be helpful/fun in inferno group-play. YOU RUN IN FIRST AND TAKE IT LIKE A CHAMP!

Plus that's part of the reason I find the barbarian super fun. You smash heads or you can try being a turtle to change the pace of things. I can do either whenever I want because I can and it won't be boring.
Reply Quote
ok i read a few of your comments guys e.g. OZ etc.

I'll need some time to ponder on those suggestions and get back to you what i think about that.

But anyways, tank build doesn't seem such a lost cause after all.

Diablo inc pointed out that high defense + high return damage (thorn) = can kill sk without doing !@#$ yourself :X

Of course it's only 1/3 of Act2, and it's in the easiest of modes. I'm sure it would be a different story once the full game comes out. But funny nevertheless.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/diablo-3-beta-gameplay-27-me-so-thorny-more-unnecessary-censorship

@Mach

In HC, a death is too costly. I don't think anybody would want to risk that :X well yeah sure high defense, but i just don't see risking myself for the entire group especially when my own death is gonna lose me my gear, runes, enchantments, gold etc etc ....

For HC i would stick to something safer like a witch doctor that can do spirit world phase when he is landed a killing blow.
Reply Quote
You can't look at Diablo 3 like World of Warcraft. There are no tanks because there is no intuitive aggro system like in WoW. That's why people thought you were trolling, because this is kind of a large assumption you've taken -- the two games are exceedingly different from each other.

A tank that can't hold aggro is worthless, I'm sure you'll know, and since there's no mechanic in D3 for forcing enemies to fight you, your team's best line of defense is knowing what to kill first and when to back up.

There are 'survivability' skills you can take, and take them if you mean to play the game riskier than others. I intend on jumping right in there, so I'll be taking them, for sure. Take Barb shouts if you want to be a 'team player' but you will have no means to guarantee monsters won't break rank and run for your friends, unless you can kill them before they have the chance.

Later monsters will be able to jump or fly over you, phase through you, teleport, and shoot at range -- and they will. Don't believe that you can 'hold the line'. While sometimes you'll be able to manage it, I guarantee you this won't always be the case. Not by a mile.
Edited by Zagrylfalx on 12/29/2011 6:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
I like it.

I would replace Cleave's Broadsweep for Rupture for a more "AoE" effect, those corpse explosions seem like a sweet way to get extra attention; or maybe Reaping Swings for the extra Fury.

What do you think about replacing Whirlwind with Overpower with Revel for that sweet selfheal?.

In your passives, I dunno maybe switching one of them for Pound of Flesh, so it aids your Hammer of the Ancients - Birthright better?

Ok i looked over the skill calculator.

Well rupture does add more aoe some what (13 yards, not quite sure how big that is ingame). But this is only IF the creeps fall dead fast.

Whereas broadsweep is for more consistent damage, and may work better on creeps that aren't easily taken down.

As for reaping swing, i think it's too little fury gen to be worth getting over the others.

Over power with revel mode seems strong. Gain 8 % of your total hp for each enemy hit by it. Minimum i can already see you doing that against 5 enemies and that is straight away 40% total hp healed. crazy :X

yeh definitely would be a viable replacement for whirlwind especially for tanker role :X however it has a 15 second cooldown.

The whirlwind has no cooldown but will depend on fury to cast it. However there is a mod to make it fury free, so you could cast it whenever. This will be dependent on how much/fast i can generate fury, to spend it on taunting and whirlwinding :X

If only i had a beta key to test these things out :/

@ttusa

oh sorry i didn't notice there already was a section for this.

I'll move this thread there :X

Reply Quote
View profile
You know in Mario I like getting mushrooms to be big and be able to take an extra hit. I was thinking in tetris I should be able to get mushrooms for my pieces so I could still get a tetris with a 'L' shaped piece. Do you think this is viable?
Reply Quote
Since there seems to be an issue with talking tanking in D3, I will do a little disclaimer here:

I have no clue how the threat mechanic in Diablo works, there peeps, happy?

Alright, with that out of the way. The reason for Cleave - Rupture is based on the off-chance that enemies have a higher focus on players that inflict first blood. So by causing a mob to explode, you get a multiplying AoE effect that will get the attention of several mobs at once.

Now, lets say that it is a escalating threat mechanic - similar to Warcraft's. In that case, Cleave - Sweeping Strikes resonates more with me because of 2 things: By replacing WW with Overpower you are covering your base in the fact that you are having an ability that requires no fury spent, which brings us to the other point: more Fury to spend on your Threatening Shout -Demoralize and spamming the living !@#$ of that Hammer of the Ancients.

In HC I am -assuming that is, that mobility is going to play a great factor in combat. So by attacking, retreating, regrouping, and attacking again, that leaves plenty of time for Overpower to refresh its cool-down b4 the next battle. That excess Fury you would gain can be used to spam Hammer of the Ancients - Birthright (which I consider the bread & butter of your dps), while waiting for Threatening Shout to be ready. Kinda like a self-feeding set of abilities. Adding pound of flesh, you would - hopefully, be looking at a large pile of health globes laying around for the taking.

Also, lets not forget that Overpower crits, reset the ability. That is a win. Also, Brawler and Unforgiving, also seem like very interesting passive to add to the mix.
Edited by Ozz on 12/29/2011 9:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hey, there were "tank" styles in D2, so there will be in D3. The way it generally worked is things would attack what they were closer to, or something. So the wall of iron and flesh the Barbarian was, he would just run up and grab *everything* while the other players pelted from a distance. That in my eyes is a Diablo tank.

If you grab aggro (which did happen) you kited until the Barb hit him enough, or the monster gave up chasing you and went back to the barb.

Tanking is completely viable, and will probably be possible with all classes, albeit in different ways. Wiz via absorption/freeze, barb via taunt (if available) and armor or LS, monk via similar to barb but more based on dodging than armor, doctor via pets, demon hunter via....something.

I haven't played D3, but I'm speaking purely from what I've seen mixed with how it worked in D2.

The people saying there is nothing other than hack and slash, are wrong. Tanks existed in D2, so they will exist here. I played a tank for my friends in D2, designed and built around taking *all* the damage so they didn't have to. They could go off and be the glass cannon they wanted while I was the spiky wall.

But what do I know, I've just been playing Diablo since the beginning.
Reply Quote
Hey, there were "tank" styles in D2, so there will be in D3. The way it generally worked is things would attack what they were closer to, or something.

You assume monster AI will be as dumb as it was in a game that was made 10 years ago.

12/29/2011 10:12 PMPosted by Reqq

Yup, and you've never played D3 -- so why are you assuming things?
Reply Quote
12 Undead Hunter
I love it how people automatically "Hate" On people who have played wow, and generally categorize them in one section. This is entirely a false judgement. Don't Judge a poster by there avatar. It's just silly.

Reply Quote
Hey, there were "tank" styles in D2, so there will be in D3. The way it generally worked is things would attack what they were closer to, or something. So the wall of iron and flesh the Barbarian was, he would just run up and grab *everything* while the other players pelted from a distance. That in my eyes is a Diablo tank.

If you grab aggro (which did happen) you kited until the Barb hit him enough, or the monster gave up chasing you and went back to the barb.

Tanking is completely viable, and will probably be possible with all classes, albeit in different ways. Wiz via absorption/freeze, barb via taunt (if available) and armor or LS, monk via similar to barb but more based on dodging than armor, doctor via pets, demon hunter via....something.

I haven't played D3, but I'm speaking purely from what I've seen mixed with how it worked in D2.

The people saying there is nothing other than hack and slash, are wrong. Tanks existed in D2, so they will exist here. I played a tank for my friends in D2, designed and built around taking *all* the damage so they didn't have to. They could go off and be the glass cannon they wanted while I was the spiky wall.

In diablo 2 i had a tanking Paladin specifically for Uber tristram event.

My paladin had Herald of Zakarum for my main shield, and the Grief Phase Blade runeword. For armor i used chains of honor on an archon plate if i remembered correctly :X

My secondary weapon and offshield were azurewrath phase blade and a Stormshield :X

My Grief phase blade had insane attack speed, and i was constantly life stealing, while i tanked the damage as a 1 point SMITHER ZEALOT hybrid :X

Here is a youtube video proving that smither zealot pally were tanks :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRBgu5ZDkO0

So yes there was tanking of sorts even in D2 :}

I also tanked in cow hell mode as well, while my buddy sorceress used blizzard to ice down those damn cows.

I saw my friend who was a pro barbarian who could tank tons of cows in hell mode without dying o.o: yeah...

And if that isn't enough to convince here is a D3 youtube of a monk tanking with return damage thorns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqJ_RXEQWuE&feature=player_embedded

Edited by Moogle on 12/30/2011 3:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
Don't feed the trolls man.

Build whatever you want and !@#$ everyone else's opinion.
Reply Quote

^ i second this :}

Anyways i got a better idea what skill to get. Thx to those that contributed back constructively, especially OZ :}
Edited by Moogle on 12/30/2011 11:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
You won't be able to hold aggro.
Reply Quote

^ i second this :}

Anyways i got a better idea what skill to get. Thx to those that contributed back constructively, especially OZ :}

Thumbs up =D

Anymore builds you got, lemme know. Discussing them turned to be quiet fun...at least its a good way to assuage the D3 fix until release lol.
Edited by Ozz on 12/30/2011 12:53 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]