Diablo® III

clarification

just wanted to throw this out there..

while i'm ecstatic about being in the 'beta' and being able to check it out, one thing it really isn't, is a 'beta'.

it's a demo..

there isn't really enough of it to actually test, which is kind of the point of a beta correct?

don't get me wrong.. i'm not talking about a full release, just a bit more.. part of different acts mebbe..
Reply Quote
its a stress test for bnet.

they have internal QA.
Reply Quote
k ill let everyone know............................................................
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
like when the added in the RMAH to be tested?

sounds like troll
Reply Quote
i get that, i'm a developer as well.. there are automated tools to stress test webservices/IIS etc that they could (and should) use as well..

just kind of wondering why there isn't more to 'test', or is this not really intended to be tested by us or more of a 'buzz' generation thing?

btw, not troll
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
aight, troll comment retracked.

because if they need to test it, its there. they just aren't testing on the same level as a PTR because they want the content to be new to people as they play it. is the story isn't new, then it's simply a item farm from the get go, and thats a really bad sales pitch
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 1/4/2012 7:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
i get that, i'm a developer as well.. there are automated tools to stress test webservices/IIS etc that they could (and should) use as well..

just kind of wondering why there isn't more to 'test', or is this not really intended to be tested by us or more of a 'buzz' generation thing?

btw, not troll

Right after the skeleton king there's some big spoilers. They don't want the community to have the game spoiled for them 5 months before it comes out.

That's the main reason, really.
Reply Quote
12/30/2011 11:37 PMPosted by Jacka
You are testing all of the Battle.net features (installer, servers, rmah, B.net). The game is finished, that's why they don't need us to comb over any of the other stuff for bugs. And this will most likely become the Demo when the game is released.

There's no reason why they can't just do that with a full beta. It's just purely to keep us wondering what happens.

Blizzard wants us to experience the game with us playing it, not while watching a crappy stream
Reply Quote
It is a beta. A dem would be an ad, this is for debugging.
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 1/4/2012 7:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 1/4/2012 7:09 PM PST
Reply Quote

btw, not troll

Sure you can unit and basic logic checked. But you can't really stress test from different parts of the country and different events (as well as mismapped events). Furthermore, it's much cheaper to have all of these people test it for free then pay their highly capable team to stop working on features and work on more excessive tests. There is a thing as being over relient on automated tests and overwriting them as well.
Reply Quote
12/30/2011 11:59 PMPosted by Jacka
Or they could've slapped a NDA on the Beta and given us more content if the game is really in such turmoil.

You honestly think they can keep us quiet? Someone will leak information and hide their info.

Also if the whole game is out, more people would play and play longer, meaning 4/5 of you guys in beta would not be in beta cause it'd still be very active
Reply Quote
was just a little confused to how they were deeming this a 'closed beta' was all..

in my experience the app testing life cycle is usually something along these lines:

development/unit/alpha testing, sometimes additional remote dev testing on an internal dev server, internal QA app testing, internal UAT (user acceptance) app testing, internal staging/deployment/installation testing (pre-prod, for testing dependencies, conflicts, patches, updates etc), internal prod deployment/stress/load balancing/redundancy switching/monitoring etc..

THEN, you open it up to closed alpha (usually handpicked external testers) and beta tests with a limited number of users (which is where i thought we were)

once that's done, then the open alpha/beta tests that lead to the release candidates and finally, deployment and release..

if it's true that they're done with the game and testing etc and we're only 'stress' testing, then what i initially said still holds true.. we're simply running the demo, but not testing things like the word 'beta' implies, at least in my mind..

sorry for the confusion..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]