Diablo® III

A practical request from a HC fan

Apologies if Blizzard has already stated their stance, I've been unable to find a definite yes or no on this issue.

I see a lot of people on these forums posting suggestions, both good and bad, that would result in further delays, and no one wants that. I just wanted to make a simple suggestion on behalf of the hardcore community that could be implemented in 30 seconds.

Please make Hardcore mode available from the start.

You can put a giant popup box so that all of the casuals you're hoping to attract with "accessibility" know that their character will be gone and that this isn't the recommended way to play for newcomers. Make it a triple check box if you want, I won't mind. I would just really like to play my first run through-of the game in hardcore mode.

For those of us who have been fans of Blizzard games (and other great games) for almost 20 years now, we know the most memorable run through of the game is the first time, when all the lore, quests, etc. are fresh and new. I would really like to experience this progression through the story with the added risk of having to start all over again if I derp it up.

I don't see how it can hurt anything, and I know it would make the hardcore community really happy if we can start with high stakes from day one. As someone who loves the idea of hardcore play AND lore, it really diminishes the product to have to go through the game in what I think of as 'spectator mode' in order to unlock what I think of as the "real" game.

I really don't think it will hurt the casuals/newcomers.

I would love to be going into my first fight with diablo (and the other act bosses) knowing that if I mess up or I'm not prepared, I'm going to be starting from scratch, and I hope other HC fans will get on board and echo this thought in this thread. This is a very easy thing to implement which will neither delay the game nor quash blizzard's aspirations to attract a wider player group.
Reply Quote
/signed.

Hardcore DO WANT.
Reply Quote
- ANZ
To be honest, I'll probably play through the game (to Nightmare/Hell) before I start Hardcore. It's nice to know what you are doing and where you are going before you go out and risk it all.

No signature.
Reply Quote
This has been beaten to death, it's not going to happen and you have two solutions at your disposel

1) MANUALLY delete your character in your softcore playthrough if you die. It's EXACTLY the same thing as hardcore (unless for some reason you wouldn't be able to unless the game did it for you)
2) Let someone else play through first to unlock HC for you.

Voila, mission accomplished.

And just for the record I'd prefer HC unlocked from the start as I will be playing it exclusively, but because of the solutions listed I've realized it's not really a big deal.
Reply Quote
This has been beaten to death, it's not going to happen and you have two solutions at your disposel

1) MANUALLY delete your character in your softcore playthrough if you die. It's EXACTLY the same thing as hardcore (unless for some reason you wouldn't be able to unless the game did it for you)
2) Let someone else play through first to unlock HC for you.

Voila, mission accomplished.

And just for the record I'd prefer HC unlocked from the start as I will be playing it exclusively, but because of the solutions listed I've realized it's not really a big deal.

I really really don't see a reason why Blizzard wouldn't allow HC from the start.

Seriously wouldn't take more than a day of coding.
Reply Quote
12/29/2011 11:37 PMPosted by Oggromun
I really really don't see a reason why Blizzard wouldn't allow HC from the start.

They've stated their reasons, they basically want people to get familiar with the game before jumping into Hardcore mode. Don't argue with me about it, it's not my argument (As I said I'd rather have it unlocked from the start).

The reasons put forth however also don't merit a very strong argument as we have solutions to the OP's problem.

Now, a few odd threads about this aren't going to make a difference, the only thing that would really change Blizzard's mind would be a lot of threads with a lot of support from a lot of different people which isn't something that's likely to happen.

And lastly your only course of reason is to reason out why my solutions aren't adequate (I can't think of a legitimate reason as getting through normal mode will take someone half a day before hardcore mode is unlocked forever for them)

12/29/2011 11:37 PMPosted by Oggromun

It's not a matter of coding, this wouldn't delay the game, it's matter of them actively wanting to remove the restriction :)
Reply Quote
12/29/2011 11:45 PMPosted by BazDefunct

They've stated their reasons, they basically want people to get familiar with the game before jumping into Hardcore mode. Don't argue with me about it, it's not my argument (As I said I'd rather have it unlocked from the start).

The reasons put forth however also don't merit a very strong argument as we have solutions to the OP's problem.

Now, a few odd threads about this aren't going to make a difference, the only thing that would really change Blizzard's mind would be a lot of threads with a lot of support from a lot of different people which isn't something that's likely to happen.

And lastly your only course of reason is to reason out why my solutions aren't adequate (I can't think of a legitimate reason as getting through normal mode will take someone half a day before hardcore mode is unlocked forever for them)

It's not a matter of coding, this wouldn't delay the game, it's matter of them actively wanting to remove the restriction :)

Of course though, don't take it the wrong way. I was just commenting about the situation, I wasn't trying to argue with you.
Reply Quote
Well, feel free! I'll play the devil's advocate and if we have a good discussion that supports unlocking hardcore from the start it definitely can't hurt :p
Reply Quote
I think they would also want players to experience the game once through and see al the content before they die and have to start all over. That way you get one uninterrupted run through the game. HC mode could stop that over and over again every time you encounter a new event you are not prepared for.

Maybe some of you don't care about seeing all the content once through. Maybe you don't care having to see content over and over again before you see it all. Irrelevant of that, Blizzard would probably want you to see all the content once through anyways.

Haha sometimes Blizzards has to be the parent in situations like this where it's like, no. No, and that's final. I don't care if you don't want to brush your teeth! You cannot go to bed without brushing.
Reply Quote
makes sense. why not give the player the choice on what mode they want to play.

if I had to play the SC2 compeign through on beginner mode before it would let me do brutal mode i never would of made it past the 3rd or 4th mission.

I jumped straight into brutal and it was fun and brutal
Reply Quote
Yeah, I would LOVE to be able to play HC from the start. Just thinking about walking through the whole game the first time so slowly and cautiously because I could die at any moment if I wasn't careful and got trapped. It would be so epic.

I will be so sad if I do end up having to play once through on a SC character at release. It won't ruin the game by any means, but it won't be quite as cool.

I may try to skip through and get ran through as much as possible the first time, so I can actually play through the 2nd time properly on HC.
Reply Quote
@Baz
it completely negates the point of my original post if I have to play through on softcore to get hardcore- deleting a charcter doesn't solve anything because I want a sense of urgency when I'm first uncovering the story. If I know everything that develops before playing hardcore it diminishes the game for me.

I should not have to have someone else play through the game before I do to play it in hardcore mode. That's just stupid.

The bottom line is that there are no real problems with making it available from the start apart from nonsensical rhetoric.

Do it Blizz, or bashiok better give me an intelligent argument on why HC being available from the start will ruin the world.
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 3/18/2012 12:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
12/29/2011 11:36 PMPosted by BazDefunct
Reply Quote
To be honest, I'll probably play through the game (to Nightmare/Hell) before I start Hardcore. It's nice to know what you are doing and where you are going before you go out and risk it all.

No signature.

Some people feel EXACTLY the opposite. It's fun risking it all and NOT knowing what you're getting yourself into. It makes you play the game differently. Whether or not you'd do it from the start, there's no reason not to sign this. It just allows people to create characters they were going to make anyway sooner after getting the game.

+1 give us hardcore from the start!

12/31/2011 12:11 AMPosted by Randomed

It's not the same if you're not forced to do it. You can't tell yourself "eh that didn't really count" and let yourself live in hardcore.
Edited by Aegis on 12/31/2011 6:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/29/2011 11:06 PMPosted by TCPMathmick

Did you ever think people that enjoy HC might enjoy the added risk of not knowing what's coming their first time through?
Reply Quote
There's a 25-page thread on the issue (although this post sums most of it) :
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3565946637?page=22#428

In a nutshell, restricting the access to hardcore is really only a safe-guard for inexperienced players. I'd argue it's an unacessary one, but you'll always find someone who wants to negate you the experience you wish for.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]