Diablo® III

D3 Team size

85 Blood Elf Priest
Diablo 3 has been in development for some 6-7+ years. To make a 2D environmental game and have it take this long is just ridiculous. The team behind this game has to be extremely small.

Bethesta's team of 100 or so people made The elder Scrolls V: Skyrim in 3 years. Less than half of the time d3 has been in production. They developed an entire new revolutionary engine and and a massive game all in this time. Skyrim's content and environment detail is downright amazing. I can almost guarantee it's content and amount of quests will dwarf that of diablo's. And its a 3D environment, unlike diablo. Sure d3 has 3D character abilities and other things, at its core it's still a 2D game. If i had to guess how long it took Bethesta to make that game, I would have guessed 6 years or more. But it didn't.

Another thing people say is that Diablo is an online game. Do you think it really takes an extra 3-4 years to produce online hardware? No.

This leaves no question about it. Diablo's team must be extremely small or they're just extremely lazy which most likely isn't true. A game like this should in no way take 6-7+ years to make. It's just ridiculous.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I duno Skyrim was kind of lame.
But yeah it is taking them too darn long.
Reply Quote
Ill say it before anyone else... Yes Skyrim had some bugs upon release but it was still an amazing game for its depth and scope.
Reply Quote
go play skyrim then and quit posting these kind of threads, they aren't helpful or informative in any way
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
01/04/2012 08:49 PMPosted by Khoop
6-7+ years
dont think so.
Reply Quote
53 Undead Priest
to be Honest, i don't think diablo 3 and Skyrim are the same types of games! It's like if i say, i'm sure Batman Arkham city will be better than diablo 3! And for my part, i hated Skyrim. Skyrim is like a remake of Oblivion 4. And i'm sure there will be a release date soon (and i'm not talking about the soon blizzard always talk about i'm talking about a real soon!) It's Early 2012 now so we're ready!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
bethesda suffers from a lot of drawbacks, graphics not being one of them. blizzard suffers from very few, and calling their graphics "2d" is disingenuous at best.

i think having a larger team allows bethesda to push the size and scope of their games to great levels, and i appreciate them for that.

There was a quote from Jay Wilson himself that stated their engine can produce 3D animations and such(such as grenades bouncing off walls) but at its core it's still technically a 2D game. Ill try to find the quote. I know it was from Blizzcon 2010
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
01/04/2012 11:28 PMPosted by Coldrie
to be Honest, i don't think diablo 3 and Skyrim are the same types of games! It's like if i say, i'm sure Batman Arkham city will be better than diablo 3! And for my part, i hated Skyrim. Skyrim is like a remake of Oblivion 4. And i'm sure there will be a release date soon (and i'm not talking about the soon blizzard always talk about i'm talking about a real soon!) It's Early 2012 now so we're ready!

I'm not talking about which is better. They both are slightly different types of games, but they are both RPG's at their cores. I'm just specifically talking about development time of the games and how long it's taking for each company to produce their products.
Reply Quote
01/04/2012 08:49 PMPosted by Khoop
at its core it's still a 2D game

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. Diablo III is a completely 3D game that uses 3D physics with 3 dimension levels and exploration.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
01/04/2012 11:20 PMPosted by dragoon1101
go play skyrim then and quit posting these kind of threads, they aren't helpful or informative in any way

This clearly shows you didn't read the post at all. You read the first 1 or 2 sentences and your mind immediately reverted to the fact I'm trying to say Skyrim is better than Diablo 3 and I'm bashing Diablo. I'm specifically talking about development cycles and time for both games and how long its taking for each game to be made to try to come up with a estimation of the Diablo 3 team size compared to one team such as Bethesta's and why it's taking the time it is for this game to come out.
Reply Quote
53 Undead Priest
I know, but Blizzard is a big company and probably wants everything to be perfect. And that takes time! They have the luxury of not having a deadline which is good because they can work their ideas! Anyway, we will all buy the game eventually!
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
01/04/2012 11:36 PMPosted by Khoop

This clearly shows you didn't read the post at all. You read the first 1 or 2 sentences and your mind immediately reverted to the fact I'm trying to say Skyrim is better than Diablo 3 and I'm bashing Diablo. I'm specifically talking about development cycles and time for both games and how long its taking for each game to be made to try to come up with a estimation of the Diablo 3 team size compared to one team such as Bethesta's and why it's taking the time it is for this game to come out.

you're a sharp cookie, and I totally agree with you. Thanks for posting this :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]