Diablo® III

Jay Wilson: "No level cap increase" + more

EDIT: These are translated, so they may be subject to translation errors. It is possible that this is not what he meant when he stated these things. If a blue would chime in, that'd be great.

The expansion pack will provide new places, equipment and increase the difficulty but there will be no increase the level cap.

It is hoped PvP mode will be in the game by the end of 2012.

Jay has not beaten inferno difficulty, as a solo player or in a 4-player multiplayer game

If a player was to read the lore, interact with the environment, access 80% of the game content then you are looking at 15-20 to complete normal difficult.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/jay-wilson-taiwan-press-conference

Other info in there. Kind of disappointed about no level cap increase, it goes against what they were saying earlier. Oh well, still an amazing game. Inferno looks to be really hard if even the devs can't beat it.
Edited by Tyrindor#1119 on 4/26/2012 12:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I would be fine with no level cap increase. You will basically be leveling up with new items and such.

Just wait, Blizzard may decide to change this. It IS going to be a long time before an expansion.

EDIT: The fact that he said it will take that long to beat the game excites the !@#$ out of me.
Edited by Eightbots#1930 on 4/26/2012 11:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Then why have levels at all? Level 60 just seem so arbitrary. bad change
Reply Quote
That actually sounds quite boring TBH. Expansions are supposed to bring more levels and more abilities. I suppose they could add 1-2 more slots to the bar, but it would be kind of strange simply adding already existing abilities. I know LoD did not raise the cap, but it was 99 originally anyway. I suppose it won't be so bad as long as they release more than a single new class.
Edited by Nevermore#1419 on 4/26/2012 11:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Someone in the comments mentioned that the translation is poor and that he didn't say there would be no level cap increase only that there 'might' be no change. I'd imagine once they start thinking about it they'll realize it's necessary to balance the game progression properly.
Reply Quote
if they bring in more levels, it will make your lvl 60 weapons useless (imagine someone spending real money on that item and end up not being able to use it anymore in expansion because it sucks) . Unless they figure some way to convert stats from one item to another....
Edited by Veldora#1839 on 4/26/2012 11:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Terrible idea, a Role Playing game without any leveling up.
Reply Quote
Well, honestly if they are increasing the difficulty, and giving you better items to play that difficulty, then you wouldn't need more levels.

Besides, you get all your abilities at level 30. So adding 10 more levels would just give you a few stats. I don't think it's a big deal.
Reply Quote
I hope we can add new abilities and classes to that list as well. I don't care about raising the level cap, since that's just a number, but they should add more character development than just "new weapons."
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 11:23 AMPosted by Stonkeep
Terrible idea, a Role Playing game without any leveling up.

The Diablo series has never been an RPG. It's always been an ARPG with an emphasis on "A" over "RPG".

04/26/2012 11:23 AMPosted by jpar
If a player was to read the lore, interact with the environment, access 80% of the game content then you are looking at 15-20 to complete normal difficult.

15 to 20 what? hours? days?

Hours obviously. He's talking about Normal difficulty.
Edited by Nevermore#1419 on 4/26/2012 11:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Considering how the game works, I don't get how a level cap increase would work anyways. So i'm glad we are only getting new acts, with I assume even better armor. Like how in WoW, you get new raid zones, with better tiered gear.
Reply Quote
Im actually suprised at the no level cap increase, I would like to see that change.

You know, so you can take your lvl 60 char, and level them to say 65-70 and get a couple new skills to unlock.
Edited by AudioCG#1473 on 4/26/2012 11:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 11:16 AMPosted by Tyrindor
Inferno looks to be really hard if even the devs can't beat it.

You do realize that just because they develop the game does not mean they are even remotely good at it? I have played against employees and developers across numerous games, and I can honestly say not a single one proved to be any good at the game. They were all average players at best.
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 11:21 AMPosted by Void
Expansions are supposed to bring more levels and more abilities.

Ever played diablo before?

Expansions bring new classes.
And a new zone.
Period.
No new abilities.
Just classes.

lol.
Reply Quote
A level cap increase would make Inferno Diablo easier to kill, but isn't Power Creep expected with expansions?

No mention about new classes either.
Reply Quote
Keep in mind that d2's expansion didn't change the level cap, but it absolutely changed the way the game worked. There are other ways to breathe new life into a game :D.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]