Diablo® III

What are you reading?

85 Orc Warrior
05/15/2012 11:48 AMPosted by Robinthehood
It is truly entertaining reading, even if the gammar is not that good.

The new vernacular. Comic realism like Twain without them knowing it.
Reply Quote
Just finished "The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark" by Carl Sagan. What a spectacular read.

Books:

Space Chronicles - Neil Degrasse Tsyon. A look into the history of space exploration, why it matters, and why we need to continue doing it. NDT can write about anything and make it humourous and interesting, and this is no exception. The prologue is a little long winded about the history of Nasa, but he puts a ton of fun little side things in to get you through it and to the meat of the book.

How are Tyson's books? I mean as popular science non-fiction goes. Been reading a lot of Dawkins and Sagan lately and Tyson seems the next logical step to read next.
Reply Quote
working on the new dark tower book
Reply Quote
Currently, I am rereading Percy Jackson and Harry Potter. I need to finish ANGEL (#7 Maximum Ride Series) for NEVERMORE.
Reply Quote
I am finishing up A Feast for Crows and looking forward to A Dance of Dragons. I am also reading Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology and John Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm working on getting my hands on all Redwall books I can get as well as trying to find Awakened/Destined so that I can continue reading the House of Night series.
Reply Quote
I've been reading The Walking Dead (but I buy the books, not per issue, so I'm waiting until June for the next book right now). Definitely recommend this for a psychological look on the zombie apocalypse. :)
I also started the Song of Ice and Fire series, shortly after picking up Game of Thrones on TV. Again, it's great to see where the show adapted from. I think some of the battle sequences are written rather awkwardly at times, but so far the books are absolutely lovely! I recommend them if you want books that are going to last you a little longer, since they`re quite large!
Reply Quote
Blankets, a very critically acclaimed graphic novel. It's all right, so far--the art is AMAZING, but way it's written is a little cheesy so far.

I'm also working on The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller. Not sure about this one; sometimes I absolutely love it, and sometimes I feel like it's not quite connecting.

Actually, it's been a long time since I read something that I thought was amazing. :/
Reply Quote
TWD is a lot of fun, though I haven't given the graphic novels much time. I usually don't read them, but there are a few that I'd recommend.

Comics:
The Pro, by Garth Ennis, is a lot of fun. Very dirty humor. Ben Templesmith's 30 Days of Night, Silent Hill, and Dead Space novels are great.

Books:

I'll have to try some of NDT's work. I'm more into philosophy, but I agree that he can make anything fun and interesting.

I'm currently reading Exit A by Anthony Swofford (the guy who wrote Jarhead). He has a very blunt narrative style, but with a poetic rhythm. Most of the emotion comes through nuanced dialogue and symbolic imagery. I guess it's very "masculine" prose. I can't wait for his newest memoir to come out next month!

I just finished Guild Wars: Ghosts of Ascalon. I'm not that much into fantasy novels, but as far as game novels go, this one worked for me. All tropes and maguffins aside, there was genuine emotion and fluid action. The visuals are pretty wild, too, like giant golems made out of bones.

For nonfiction, I recommend The Good News Club. It's about evangelism and its effects on public education. Zeiton is also good. That one's about a Syrian living in New Orleans during Katrina, how he saved some of the people that stayed behind, and how he was imprisoned/suspected of being a terrorist.

Favorite novel: Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison. One of the best novels out of the Harlem Renaissance. If you like poetic prose and civil rights stories, I recommend going for this classic.
Edited by Muxika#1795 on 5/19/2012 6:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I myself am rereading Wit'ch Fire, Book on of The Banned and The Bannished by James Clemens as well as going back to read Halfway to The Grave by Jeaniene Frost. Both are a great read.
Edited by DragonWolf#6684 on 5/22/2012 2:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm currently halfway through Metro 2033. Lovecraft anthology next.
Reply Quote
Just finished up Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. One of the best fiction novels I've ever read!
Reply Quote
Currently reading:
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
The Divine Comedy: Inferno by Dante Alighieri
Reply Quote
I'm reading several things at the moment. I started re-reading the Wheel of Time series, but taking my time as I read other books. The other books are Halo: Cryptum and will be picking up Ian Cameron Esslemont's fourth novel in his Novel of the Malazan Empire series. It possibly has the weirdest title I've ever come across: Orb, Scepter, Throne - it is made up of three books, the first named Orb, the second is Scepter, and the third Throne. I mean the title Orb, Scepter, and Throne would make more sense and still make no sense at all.
Reply Quote
Oryx & Crake is a great book!

Theres a sequel called Year of the Flood, haven't checked it out yet.
Edited by Beerjerk#1306 on 5/26/2012 5:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just got done reading Ready Player one by Earnest Cline and now im going back through forever war
Reply Quote
Comic: The Walking Dead - The first and prolly only comic I'll get into. The best part is how the author doesn't hold anything back. When he set out to cover the falling apart of society, he did it fully. It can get a little shocking, but that's what makes it so good imo. Plus it is just good zombie action.

Books: I just finished "The name of the wind" (Awesome book) and am currently reading Michael Crichton's "Sphere". Saw the movie, heard the book was better. They were right. Movie wasn't that bad, but the book is more enjoyable. I have a long list of Space Sci fi I want to read before Fall semester starts. D3 seems to be interfering with that. :P
Edited by BetaGrumm#1789 on 5/31/2012 2:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm not really one to read comics, but there are a few that I open up every now and then. The one's I read are actually the only ones I have. XD

Squee #1-4, all trapped in one comic sleeve.
Hack/Slash Omnibus #1-3
And B&W Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vol. 1 with commentary between issues.
Reply Quote
Planning to finish three WH40K novels that I've all left hanging halfway for well over a year:
  • Redemption Corps by Rob Sanders
  • Path of the Warrior by Gav Thorpe, a rare and the first novel ever written in the mindset of a craftworld eldar (dying alien race of civilized "space elves"). It was excellent and intriguing story from what little tidbits I recollected.
  • Fallen Angels by Mike Lee, the second and proper Horus Heresy title for the Dark Angels Legion
  • After that I'm juggling between reading the Hyperion Cantos, Dune, or breakaway from the sci-fi/40K reading spree and enjoy something refreshing in the fantasy genre yet unread on my ever growing bookshelf.
    Reply Quote
    Comics:

None.

Books:

Orthodoxy by G. K. Chesterton
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas

I just finished reading The Possessed by Fyodor Dostoyevsky which was pretty good, the first 1/3 was a bit slow though.

I would strongly recommend that everyone read "War and Peace" by Tolstoy. It may seem daunting but just have at it; look at it this way, it is definitely not as long as the entire Wheel of Time series.
    Edited by RedCell#1728 on 7/9/2012 6:57 AM PDT
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]