Diablo® III

Game Of Thrones

90 Human Warrior
Discuss away on this great series, books and show!
Reply Quote
I only started reading the books (I'm halfway through the first), but I follow the show and, without spoilers: HOLY CRAP WHAT JUST HAPPENED AT THE END OF SUNDAY'S EPISODE?! /ohgod

I only recently picked the series up, and I don't know why I was waiting so long to do so! It's right up my alley what with all the knights and kings and whatnot~
Reply Quote
launch day of Diablo 3. I can't think of much better to take my mind off of how they will create the visuals for the house of the undying in the next ep. memorial day is coming up. I certainly hope we don't have to wait to weeks for this one. I very much enjoyed this part of the books, and am very much looking foreword to the episode which describes them.

more generally, could any better network have picked up this series. I would have enjoyed it even as a scifi origional (I refuse to call them SyFy) but HBO series. sooooo epic. fantasic adaptation. even the critics agree with me, and we know many of the hardcore fans are the famous 'trekkies' who pay attention to every detail. HBO has done a fantastic job to please the majority of that group.
Reply Quote
Stopped watching season 2 when they completely changed the story from the books. So around episode three.

The books however, will always be my summer reading. Going to read A Game of Thrones again for the fourth time.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
05/16/2012 08:22 AMPosted by KingGeedorah
Stopped watching season 2 when they completely changed the story from the books. So around episode three.

Huh? They didn't really start straying from the book's material until episode 6, and even then it still pretty closely mirrors the book. I'm not sure what you mean...
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
The first 3 books of this series are terrific and amongst the best book material I've ever read, ever. And I do think I read quite a bit. So what the heck was with book 4? Sure it didn't have all of the characters in the book, but it had most of them. I heard book 5 wasn't much better, so I'm reluctant to start reading that 1000 page behemoth. I really hope he gets his act together for the last two books.

Also, call me crazy but I like the Sansa chapters. She's an interesting case study of someone who tries to be one thing but is forced into something else because of the nature of the world.

Now, a quick discussion of some spoilers (so only read this if you have read the books and are currently watching the show)....

Do you think Daenerys will go through that illusion run through the House of the Undying, and they'll have the bloody wedding scene with the wolf-headed guy on the throne? This was a cool easter egg regarding the Red Wedding after I found out that it happened.

Also, I heard that next season will be a large portion of Storm of Swords, but not ALL of it. So that means the season will likely end with the Red Wedding, yeah? Can you imagine the turmoil on the streets when people find out that it happened? lol
Reply Quote
yes, yes, and yes...

arya is my fav storyline. I'm a sucker for a good revenge story. i think the diversity of the characters focus is one major draw of the series, personally. I don't care for the onion knight chapters, but <3 anya. Zebulun <3 the sansa chapters. I think HBO has done a fantastic job so far, and will continue to do so. The deviation from the books seems to be designed simply to fit the house of the undying scene into the visual 1hour long format and keep up the 'rhythm' of scene to scene cuts, and to keep the general public intersted, like the sex scenes, and making the world not quite so hard. in the show each character/event is a tiny bit softer, with a little more humour fit in.

imho ofc.
Reply Quote
First 3 books are superb. Next 2 falter a little but are still very enjoyable. What a world Martin's invented!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
bah! I totally forgot to watch this because of Diablo 3! thanks for reminding me.
Reply Quote
Love the books, best books I've ever read.

Show is pretty decent too.

Also, they didn't change storyline in season 2 from the books, just lots of minor details. The storyline as a whole has still been loyal to the books thus far.

They probably could have been more loyal to the books if they'd been given more than ten episodes to cover a thousand pages...
Edited by GGTeMpLaR#1482 on 5/25/2012 12:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Can't wait for episode 9! The battle between the Stannis and the Lannisters
Edited by sesatn00b#1878 on 5/25/2012 8:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Tonight! The Battle of Blackwater Bay!!! Oh my god I am sooooo excited.
Reply Quote
Such a great great series. :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Battle of Blackwater Episode = Mind blowing
Reply Quote
ive read the books (excluding the last one) and they are ok. The way he treats his characters isn't in my taste for books, but i can see it translating well for the show.

But i have not watched the show, ive heard good things but i have NO urge to watch it.
Reply Quote
ive read the books (excluding the last one) and they are ok. The way he treats his characters isn't in my taste for books, but i can see it translating well for the show.

But i have not watched the show, ive heard good things but i have NO urge to watch it.

You mean killing them off like he does? I haven't read them yet but that seems pretty interesting. I haven't read too many books where the author does that sort of thing. It adds a lot of suspense to the story because in most stories you know the main characters will not die because they are main characters. If the author isn't a afraid to kill any off, then you never know what will happen next.

Also you should watch the show. I was a bit skeptical at first too, but after the first episode I was hooked. I actually just started watching them online 2 days ago. Finished all the episodes that are out in that time, so I marathoned it. I usually don't do that with most shows I watch unless I really like it. I hear it follows the story for the most part with a few things added or taken away here and there, and I hear the books are better, but as far as tv and hbo shows goes it's way better than most I've seen.
Reply Quote
05/27/2012 10:28 PMPosted by Osolot
Battle of Blackwater Episode = Mind blowing

Yuuuuuppp!!

Anyone else thinking of certain connections (not accusing, just reflecting) between things like the Night's Watch; Templar Order and Arreat Barbarians to a slight degree? And killing off central characters :P

There were other connections I made while playing through and talking to NPCs and even the main storyline, but I haven't been able to play for a week now and it's no longer fresh in my mind. However the Night's Watch v Templar Order connection is there, and it is the one I can recall.
Edited by NinjaPlease#1742 on 5/28/2012 8:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
S2E9 might be my favorite episode of the entire show so far.
Reply Quote
Agreed, can't wait for the season finale - hope some important Lannisters die, except Tyrion of course.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
05/16/2012 10:51 AMPosted by Zebulun
Also, call me crazy but I like the Sansa chapters. She's an interesting case study of someone who tries to be one thing but is forced into something else because of the nature of the world.

Sansa's grown on me as the series goes on. I think it has a bit to do with getting less naive and more learning about the reality of the world she lives in. News flash, you're not living in a faerie tale. The good guys don't win, you're not some plucky damsel-heroine waiting to be rescued... and that's not incense.

"Life is not a song, sweetling. You will learn that one day to your sorrow."

On ADWD, it was good, but in some ways it could've been so much better. The first four books (yes, even AFFC) I can fly through, read them all day until they're finished. ADWD, I find I can only sit through three or four chapters at a time before needing to set it down for a bit and then resuming. It's... plodding, a bit more than AFFC from what I think, but it gets the job done. I just don't know if GRRM was right to split up the books like he did, and/or for it to have taken eleven years to finish the pair. Let's put it this way. I don't for a moment regret getting ADWD, and it's a thoroughly enjoying read. If you dislike AFFC, it's a bit more of the same. The parts you don't like, you won't like. The parts you love, you'll really love. The parts that make you go 'huh?'... well, yeah. YMMV.

On the plot itself, there are definitely wham moments. Also headscratchy moments. Point, Young Griff. I can understand Varys not wanting to put all his eggs in one basket, but... why? He's had a connection to Dany all this time and been playing her up to take the throne. It's like he's scheming against himself on which one will be the better candidate. Of course, that's a Big If if Young Griff turns out to be the genuine article.

And Tyrion. Dear gods, if folk think he's nothing more than a twisted little monkey demon, it seems he wants to finally live up to his reputation. He is my favorite character, and I can't believe GRRM would not give him a happy ending eventually. The road to get there, though...
Edited by Timekeeper#1280 on 6/8/2012 12:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]