Diablo® III

About Leah in later expansions.... (spoilers)

There are already plenty of crazy plot twists that make no sense in Diablo III.

If we had saved Leah in regular D3, it would have been another bullet point on a list of the self-appointed "hardcore" fans to whine about, but from a story perspective, based on the rest of the game, it felt like we should have and would have been able to.

It's such a hollow victory the way it is, and yet the people who actually want that "hollow victory" hated her in the first place and really don't have that feeling. I'd welcome a cheesy retcon that allows us to help. Because it feels wrong the way things ended, and I don't have a good way to fix it.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 10:08 PMPosted by Blaze
Now I'll have to buy the expansion just to finish the story that i already paid for. Sorry but that feels like a huge money grab.

Oh, like how in Diablo II, Diablo is going around and waking the other prime evils and we don't catch Baal and then there is an expansion released where you kill Baal?
Reply Quote
There are already plenty of crazy plot twists that make no sense in Diablo III.

If we had saved Leah in regular D3, it would have been another bullet point on a list of the self-appointed "hardcore" fans to whine about, but from a story perspective, based on the rest of the game, it felt like we should have and would have been able to.

It's such a hollow victory the way it is, and yet the people who actually want that "hollow victory" hated her in the first place and really don't have that feeling. I'd welcome a cheesy retcon that allows us to help. Because it feels wrong the way things ended, and I don't have a good way to fix it.

should have been able too? based on what? there's no story point that says the damsel in distress always needs to be saved. furthermore it presents a continuity error which is counter to what good story is supposed to have.

it felt wrong the way things ended? good. not every victory is without a price. diablo has been pretty hallmark on that where people get sacrificed to diablo and die with him.

i find it funny that the people who dont like her also don't want the story to change while people who do like her want the story to change and seem to have little knowledge of the previous games.

Honestly, it's not so much what happened that bothered me. It was the execution. You walk in, Leah's basically just moaning, Adria reveals her plan in explicit detail and then she's just gone. Then, nobody bothers to mention her in quest dialogue again.

I think it would have been better to see Adria's betrayal from the beginning, give Leah a last hurrah fighting Diablo from within to help us win (since it's flat-out stupid, IMO, that we take down the embodiment of pure evil with such ease), and say a few words for her when it's over. That alone would have been enough.

And as far as "should have been able to", I mean this: If her body is alive, if her soul is alive, if the soulstone is responsible for her status, all of which true in this game, it really doesn't make any sense that our characters wouldn't at least think about it. It was later discussed that the Diablo 1 Warrior had been fighting Diablo from within during the fight of Diablo 2, and while that was most likely a retcon it makes it sound as though he likely should have been able to have been saved as well, had we applied ourselves.

If you only want to talk about Diablo 2, though, go to the Diablo 2 forum. Diablo 3 has already clearly established that it is not interested in being held down by existing continuity. What was believed in Diablo 2 is not necessarily true in Diablo 3, and if you don't like it, you can go back to Diablo 2 because the original storytellers are not coming back.
Reply Quote
She will become the symbolic figure of the Diablo universe, like Thrall in WoW who also appeared out of nowhere in Warcraft 3.
Reply Quote
Talk to Shen, he says that Leah's soul wasn't completely destroyed. Of course he does it in a manner that isn't straight forward.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 12:23 AMPosted by Zergling
Talk to Shen, he says that Leah's soul wasn't completely destroyed. Of course he does it in a manner that isn't straight forward.

I've went to Shen in Act IV on my monk on every quest and I can never ask him about Leahs soul, I'd like to hear this for myself....

To the OP, I agree that Leah should have had a better ending, but it's not because I so liked her as a character. As I said in another post, she was a main character, and having her disappear so casually with little to no mention of her is just bad taste, whether you liked her as a character or not. So on that note I think she should make another appearance in an expansion.

I think this was on purpose and Leahs soul will return in the expansion. If it wasn't on purpose then it means the writers got extremely lazy at the end.
Reply Quote
The whole Leah plotline was stupid to say the least.
First how exactly did Adria overpower Leah, Tyral and countless gourds ?

Treachery

Why introduce her as the next Cain if you gonna kill her in a moment ?

Part of Diablo's grand design

Why was she such a big part of the early storyline if shes gonna get just dropped off 3/4 into the game ?

She would eventually be the vessel for the final boss

Why kill off another character, considering the player characters will never get mentioned again, only the angels are left.

please clarify the question >.>

Why is her storyline so straight forward, where is my story twist, or at lest some charcter analyzing and development ?

There's the twist right there. A daughter of Diablo. Becoming a vessel, etc etc

Tbh, diablo 3 feel like it was written by a kid who likes just spiky demons and cool bosses, and things exploding and dieing.

lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
here is something else to ponder. the black soulstone, the evils fight among each other inside and without control the stone would seperate right? with the stone falling to sanctuary its plausible all of the demon lords will return. now, in regards to leah, i believe its also possible for her soul to reside in the stone aswell. this would open the door to her being saved. what i want and hope for dearly, is her to return with a vengeance. I want her to come back corrupted by diablos ilk and then with all that power and rage direct her to a confrontation with adria. having leah exact revenge on adria seems fulfilling to me. now, the post revenge leah will be very troubled. being corrupted body and mind could lead to deeply engaging story development in terms of her coming to terms with being a monster and using it to save/help humanity.
although there is nothing lorewise to indicate that this could happen(that i know of) i feel this would be a fine salvation befitting the diablo franchise. I also see quite of few happy ending vibe posts in this thread where they want leah to come back and be fine, well... once you have a demon inside you you're evil untill some adventurer comes along, kills you and takes your stuff =D *cough* adria *cough*

seriously though, leah's story arc needs to stay dark. her coming back all fine and dandy after that much sh*t happening to her would be upsetting. I feel we've seen enough sweet innocent leah, time for some Retribution... xpac title right there =D

anyway, thank you all for reading this flight of fancy. i hope you feel this way too
Reply Quote
The story will get darker if Leah's rage direct her to go for Adria and in the end .. both of them will be peace-less in eternal hell. I just though of another lighter dream where love of Leah to her mom will get Adria abandon Diablo and her evil mind.. Leah, as a soul, will beg you not to revenge on her mom because she is so good and so innocent... No matter what, Adria will almost die before she realize that her daughter love her the most.. and they will soon rest in peace altogether next to Cain tomb.... and the Horadrim is no needed anymore since Diablo won't be reborn until Keanu Reeves meet Al Pacino in Devil's Advocate ho! (lame joke!)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I think Leah went out of the game very much in the dark style that previous Diablo games have been. The issue to me is that she just should have been a more compelling and developed character.
Reply Quote
http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Leah

Seem like Leah's fate is to be dark evil.
Reply Quote
51 Dwarf Shaman
And if Tyrael is the archangel of justice, he cannot let that stand. If anything happens to her, there will be no justice. This would be the kind of thing he'd have to break open the black soulstone just to save her. Something along the lines of it being better for 100 murders to go free than 1 innocent to be locked up.

Tyreal: - By the Gods, You're right! If I'm the archangel of justice I can not allow such a travesty to occur!

*moments later*

Tyreal: - ...And thats why, from this day forward, I will now stand as the Archangel of Wisdom!
Reply Quote
If you expected anything better for Leah, you missed the ten thousand obvious signs.
Reply Quote
There's enough 'open plots' to make a dozen more acts (see; expansions), really. :/ To be honest, they could have extended the current content for another one or two as well....

And Cain said he wasn't finished with the prophecy. Is it said anywhere there isn't more? What if this is all just prelude to the real end of days?

One line I cannot tick off yet; Has Death really spread its wings? There's a nice little reference to Tathamet placed squarely in our laps at the end there. Dragons generally have wings, eh?

lets see.. what else;
Leah's soul
Shen's gem search
All three followers stories
the angel council
remaining Sin forces.
I swear there's room for at least one more crafter in all three camp locations. My money is on enchants or reforging at the moment.
Black Soulstone was kinda just dropped.

This isnt over.
Question I have is will Bliz make it worth it, or just minor things....
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
05/17/2012 01:51 PMPosted by Breé
Everyone knew what was going to happen to Leah. Why not make her stand up and fight from within? Not live, but make her spirit part of the key to bringing down this Prime Evil.

I didn't predict Adria's betrayal, but when she did I expected Leah to fight from within just as you say. This surprised me and I wasn't disappointed. Yet another innocent victim of the demonic invasion.

I'd much rather be surprised than consoled. I'm glad the unexpected happened.
Edited by briandamage#1553 on 5/22/2012 7:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I've never beaten a video game before and felt like I actually failed before. I was really hoping for someway to save Leah or at least let her soul find rest. Having someone that I become so attached to be destroyed like that because I was too slow, then having no way to save them. I felt like I failed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]