Diablo® III

Do not create/join public games (Hacking)

It's blizzards end, don't join public games untill they sort this massive hacking/duping loophole out

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149539239#1

The 'hack' isn't the same as what most people would recognise from wow, this ISN'T an account hack, it's a character hack, and tbh it's more like duping than hacking. Only in this case it's not just a single item, but the entire character thats being copied :s

The hacker/duper what ever you want to call them, basically makes a 'copy' of a game (including the character) that they have previously joined with in a public session (they only have to be there a couple of mins. aka join, stand in town, then leave)

They then log the copy they have made, (hence the error some ppl get that someone is useing there account and the get kicked off) give all the items/gold etc to a 'friend' then log out.

The servers don't know it's a copy so the real character gets re-saved with the new info for the duped character with no items and no gold.

Also as the hacker/duper doesn't need to log out there's no password/authenticater needed, so theres no sign of the account being hacked, as it's all done server side.

They can only copy/hack characters that they have joined with for a public game. Thats why it's only one character and the stash/gold that is being comprimised, and not every character on the account.

My advice, don't join/create public games with compleate random strangers. Stick to 'private' games that only your friends can join.
Edited by Ryu#2246 on 5/21/2012 6:17 PM PDT
You've been misinformed. I've been following these threads for a day now and people that have never pubbed before have also had their accounts compromised.
I would asume as the copy is server side based, then the 'friends list' will also be copied, they may then be getting to other ppl via the friends list of compromised characters :)

As you can 'ninja' into there games without even asking
Edited by Ryu#2246 on 5/21/2012 6:21 PM PDT
It makes sense and Blizzard would not have an easy time tracking down guys doing this. On the other hand Blizzard claims no one had an authenticator and its just people losing their passwords.
85 Night Elf Druid
05/21/2012 06:17 PMPosted by TelMeDragon
You've been misinformed. I've been following these threads for a day now and people that have never pubbed before have also had their accounts compromised.

There will always be a fair number of standard-issue keylogger hacks, password brute force cracks, phished login credentials and so forth.

This is a plausible explanation for the people who are claiming they have been hacked after joining public games, some with authenticators.

If Blizzard admits a problem before they have a fix for it, things would get even worse so they HAVE to keep quiet.
I dont really get it.

- Its not safe at all to go public games?

- Or is it safe but dont accept any random friend request?
The hack probably isn't public game based, but its also sure as hell not end-user based.
There is no hack.

Ppl simply fail to keep their account safe.

move along.
I play pub games every day, don't use authenticator, and I've had no issues. I don't buy that it's on Blizzard's end. I've been playing online games for a long time, and I know why people get hacked (the majority of the time). They just won't fess up to it.
05/21/2012 06:17 PMPosted by TelMeDragon

Unfortunately there are sites posting how to do this now, and he is in fact, very correct.

Like someone above me said, there are sure to be other "hack" cases that aren't using this method, but this is the big one at the moment.
I dont really get it.

- Its not safe at all to go public games?

- Or is it safe but dont accept any random friend request?

I don't know much but what I can say is I was hacked and I never accepted any friend requests who weren't my friends. However after being hacked I had a new "friend" who was my hacker (assuming as he was a level 1 all the time on characters with the original names of "asd" and "qwe".
"If it can be abused, it WILL be abused"

Sigh. It makes me so sad that there are a select group of people out there with such sad lives that they must resort to this sort of behavior.

It doesn't matter if it's for profit or joy from ruining someones experience, either scenario is pathetic.
LOL SO FALSE! Hard for Blizzard to detect that RANDOMLY files have been regenerated at a different location, different IP, etc? Boy the kids will come up with ANYTHING to cover how bad you are at keeping info safe. GO take a look at this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150760410?page=1#0
THIS IS HOW people are being hacked!
It's hard to weed through the lies in this forum anymore.

A couple people claim to have been hacked while using Authenticators... Blizzard has never confirmed those claims.

Blizzard has stated that they have checked all the ACTUAL reports of compromised accounts and so far there is zero evidence of hacking involved, on the server-side. And NONE of the confirmed victims were using Authenticators on their accounts.

So, I'm starting to believe this is all just lies made up by disgruntled fanboys of OTHER games.

I use an Authenticator and I haven't been hacked since I installed one on my Bnet account last year. As far as I'm concerned, this is all just post-launch hysteria designed to bring negative attention to a great game.
90 Gnome Warlock
The threads correct. I got my lvl 60 Barb back naked. Pub's are bad news bro.
Edited by Ceefdog#1147 on 5/28/2012 12:00 PM PDT
It's blizzards end, don't join public games untill they sort this massive hacking/duping loophole out

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149539239#1

The 'hack' isn't the same as what most people would recognise from wow, this ISN'T an account hack, it's a character hack, and tbh it's more like duping than hacking. Only in this case it's not just a single item, but the entire character thats being copied :s

The hacker/duper what ever you want to call them, basically makes a 'copy' of a game (including the character) that they have previously joined with in a public session (they only have to be there a couple of mins. aka join, stand in town, then leave)

They then log the copy they have made, (hence the error some ppl get that someone is useing there account and the get kicked off) give all the items/gold etc to a 'friend' then log out.

The servers don't know it's a copy so the real character gets re-saved with the new info for the duped character with no items and no gold.

Also as the hacker/duper doesn't need to log out there's no password/authenticater needed, so theres no sign of the account being hacked, as it's all done server side.

They can only copy/hack characters that they have joined with for a public game. Thats why it's only one character and the stash/gold that is being comprimised, and not every character on the account.

My advice, don't join/create public games with compleate random strangers. Stick to 'private' games that only your friends can join.

First of all, enjoy your forum suspension for spreading rumors and trying to instill fear.

Second, in the very same post you linked, a blizzard rep posted these links:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149619846
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149619846?page=29#571

People like you, who are so ignorant and stubborn, deserve it.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]